Thai media report that foreign news continue to follow cave boys drama aftermath

webfact

Thai media report that foreign news continue to follow cave boys drama aftermath

5PM.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Thai media Sanook reported on the latest "exclusive" from US TV media ABC.

Foreign TV crews continue to follow the story well after the repatriation of the Mu Pa boys and their coach from Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai last week.

The ABC news segment featured a mini-interview with the youngest boy Titan aged 11. He was quoted as saying that he was not surprised that the whole world was waiting outside the cave.

He was carried out through the murky waters on the back of his coach, he said.

Once home he received the cheers and embraces from his family.

ABC reported on the boys' survival techniques, a subsequent cleansing ceremony at a temple and the news conference from Wednesday.

Adul - the boy who spoke in English to UK rescuers first on the scene - was also featured. He was shown tucking into KFC in a celebration at his church.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-20

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

How much longer can this story be milked?

There's bad news all around the world. This is a good news story that many of us still like to follow.

I don't see it as "milking".

Let's hear what others have to say.

We have probably already heard everything there is to know from the boys' side...needless to make them repeat endlessly the same story.

On the other hand, there are still many things to learn about the rescue operation itself.

For example, there have been contradictory statements regarding the levels of water in the cave during the 3 day rescue.

According to some, there was little water left and most of the way was on muddy ground, while according to others there were still many underwater passages, at least one of them requiring a 40 minute dive!

If it was necessary to spend 10 hours every night to resupply air tanks along the way inside the cave, one could assume that there was a lot of diving involved.

Out of personal interest, I would appreciate reading a definitive version of the rescue...how it unfold from the chamber where the boys were stuck, all the way to the cave entrance...

2 hours ago, neeray said:

There's bad news all around the world. This is a good news story that many of us still like to follow.

I don't see it as "milking".

Let's hear what others have to say.

Make an end the kids need a real rest!

Leeches, yes IMHO sometimes an appropriate word for reporters.

However another issue is their level of training (I often wonder if they have any training) and their ethics and the level of accuracy they aim for.

Here in Thailand reporters are in fact not reporters, they just listen to statements / accept a handout and that's it. Questions to check for correct / complete understanding doesn't seem to be part of their work.

Plus, never any follow up.

International press has also mentioned the Thai government has set up a special milking committee to support exploiting the story as much as possible.   But what the Thais do not understand is that this now is part of the story: statelessness and milking committee.  The Bangkok government is not going to look all that good. 

I'm glad the boys are going to get their 5 minutes of fame. 

The psychiatrist has put them on strict orders and apparently any and all interviews must be approved by her. The ministry of culture have insisted that all movie deals must bypass them first. In my opinion both are weasling their way around to a large cut of the pie, leaving the boys crumbs. That psychiatrist is a control freak. It's not up to the hospital, the government, the ministry of culture, it's up to the parents. Let them have their fame. 

There is big money out there for the boys and their families and it will come from the media and sponsors, rather they get their share than others take it all. 

Not going away anytime soon one of the best happy ending stories around for years.

12 hours ago, scorecard said:

Leeches, yes IMHO sometimes an appropriate word for reporters.

However another issue is their level of training (I often wonder if they have any training) and their ethics and the level of accuracy they aim for.

Here in Thailand reporters are in fact not reporters, they just listen to statements / accept a handout and that's it. Questions to check for correct / complete understanding doesn't seem to be part of their work.

Plus, never any follow up.

Never any follow up?

You should check the accuracy of that statement.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, Brunolem said:

Out of personal interest, I would appreciate reading a definitive version of the rescue...how it unfold from the chamber where the boys were stuck, all the way to the cave entrance...

This is about the best I've seen - not sure if it's been posted already, or if it's allowed by Forum rules... Let me know and I'll PM you the link if it does get deleted..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-esjQLvsgTs

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

There is big money out there for the boys and their families and it will come from the media and sponsors, rather they get their share than others take it all. 

Not going away anytime soon one of the best happy ending stories around for years.

Well said, and yes a happy ending.

But (and a big but) it concerns me that unethical media people will aim to plant / create a twist to generate big controversial headlines, therefore revenue.

1 hour ago, steve73 said:

This is about the best I've seen - not sure if it's been posted already, or if it's allowed by Forum rules... Let me know and I'll PM you the link if it does get deleted..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-esjQLvsgTs

Thanks...just watched the whole thing...quite good...

I am not convinced that a movie can do justice to this story.

There is too much material and all of it matters, yet a movie cannot last for 5 or 6 hours and so many shortcuts, and cuts, will be needed.

A book would be more appropriate to tell this story.

As for the cave divers, these guys really have nerves of steel!

I fully agree - nothing could ever beat the tension experienced by anyone who followed events over the 17 day period as things unfolded in real -time... and without knowing how it would end...

Anyone who's never been in a cave (other than a Show-cave with lights and walkways)  could ever really comprehend how difficult it can be crawling through the tightest of squeezes... and although I've never cave dived, I can imagine how much more dangerous trying to do so during long sections underwater, fully kitted and with zero visibility, would be .... And then having the additional responsibility of needing to drag out a living human being...

Hats off to the divers, and to the full supporting teams.

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

A major issue for the kids, and especially the coach, may not be all the press coverage that will soon fade away, but to become objects of a cult.

For millions of Thais, superstition, ghosts, deities and the likes are a very serious matter, and this cave already had a solid background when it comes to this.

There could be a risk of seeing people coming from everywhere to see the wild boars and offer them money in exchange for their supposed spiritual/magical virtues.

(Christians are no different for that matter, and millions of pelerins keep on going to spots where kids were involved in a supposed miracle decades ago).

Just think that the coach got a 10 million baht offer for the pendant he was wearing in the cave!

Now imagine what could come next...

With regards to Hollywood movie producers, they are used to be under government control, and some seem to enjoy it.

No movie revolving around the war in Irak, for example, gets made without supervision...which is probably why none of these movies ever contradicts the official version of this war.

Thailand will not be different for them...

Spoke to an old High School (Class of 58') friend last evening and was amazed of his knowledge and interest in our Cave Saga. He remarked, no one cared about Trump-Putin story, just wanted more data on the "Cave boys and their coach". Amazing world coverage and interest.

Archived