Man who doused young Thai woman in gasoline and set her alight is given bail

webfact

Man who doused young Thai woman in gasoline and set her alight is given bail

7PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on the case of a Bangkok man who doused a 22 year old Thai woman from Ubon in gasoline while she was eating with friends at a Som Tam stall.

Incredibly the 23 year old Thai man who did it was given bail by the court in Bangkok.

He then told a friend of the victim that she was next.

The 22 year old woman, a clothes designer living in the Charoen Krung area of Bangkok, is still in hospital following the horrific attack and has not been named.

The mother of the victim went to Paveena Hongsakul of the foundation for children and women that bears her name for help yesterday.

"Mon", 44,, an Ubon teacher, said her daughter was eating with friends at a Som Tam stall on July 8th. A man called "Geng" arrived who was the ex boyfriend of a friend.

An argument broke out in which Geng threatened to "burn her" before he disappeared. No one knew what he meant but they were soon to find out.

Thirty minutes later he came back and to the horror of friends and other diners produced a whisky bottle containing gasoline.

He got the 22 year old in a headlock and covered her in the fuel before setting light to her.

She was rushed to Charoen Krung Pracharak Hospital where she was treated for second degree burns to her neck, torso, legs and arms.

Doctors said she would need to stay in hospital for at least a month.

The assailant was apprehended in a citizens' arrest and Wat Phraya Krai police took him into custody.

But subsequently he was bailed by the court.

Mon told Paveena that he then went to see a friend of her daughter to say that he had not finished with her daughter yet and that she was next.

Paveena is now in contact with Wat Phraya Krai police chief Pol Col Kosit Bunthawee and has called for the man at the center of the case to be rearrested.

A press conference is planned for today.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-20

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And once again the Thai justice systems weaknesses are revealed. This is a horrific thing to do to anyone and bail absolutely should not be given, especially when he is talking about doing the same thing to someone else. The sooner this worthless dog is rearrested and thrown in jail, the better.

Utteely ridiculous and immoral that bail was even an option considering the circumstances of the attack. I mean is there any doubt that this idiot did it? Certainly seems like there is none, so it begs the question of what the <deleted> this so called judge is thinking in releasing such a person again.

Cases like this deserve mob justice as the authorities show time and again they're not up to the job.

Wish the poor victim makes a full recovery

it appears that in thai culture the males can rape, burn, bash and kill females and have bugger all done to them. There is no way anyone that did this should be released from jail especially when threatening to do it to others, really have to wonder who he is related to or how wealthy the family is. Thai justice is pathetic to say the least with the decisions the magistrates are handing down

can i ask once again , why do we never get any follow ups of reported cases.  eg the russian  robber, who beat that girl senseless and the Aussie guy who got stomped by the Yank, in Pattaya, just two spring to mind 

He must be a copper's or some hi-so's son so he should be allowed to go free. Obviously it was the woman's fault anyways and just a big misunderstanding. No real harm done. She "made me do it"... Sickening!!!

47 minutes ago, Bung said:

I guess it's safe to assume then that the guy is hiso/connected. 

I suspect it is more than just an assumption. More like almost guaranteed he is connected to someone with money. The wheels of Thai justice are normally greased by money.

Often in these cases the perpetrators say (translated to English)  "I was enraged" as their excuse. As if this somehow justifies it.... 

No matter, a merit making trip to the temple and some pocket change to the family and he can carry on being a prize ©**t. 

Why do they only release the full name of the victim, then suppress the full name of the assailant ?  Then maybe justice could be served, perhaps? 

1 minute ago, Maradona 10 said:

Yep, another post that makes sense. You're not very good at this are you.

If you want to defend, refuse to condone a court/nation who lets this animal, who set a woman's head on fire in broad daylight, walk free then that is on you. You make me sick.

I condone the guy who did it, the court but not the nation, too difficult too understand?

Hope he has a fatal accident on the roads tonight.

What a Nasty pig.

Ps  didn't I read in the last week about these court officials

wanting a pay rise ? How about a pay cut until they perform there  duties to society in the correct fashion.

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So we can blame you for all the mistakes your country courts have made. 

SAD.

And on you go with the utter nonsense. 

You can't understand that the courts mirror society here, can you. Have a think about it before coming back with more ridiculous comments.

And oh, fyi my country wouldn't bail a 'person' who set a woman on fire in broad daylight and then threaten her friends with the same. HTH.

"He then told a friend of the victim that she was next."

Should be grounds to revoke bail. And making that threat is a crime in most countries with justice system.

" An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. "

Archived