Man who doused young Thai woman in gasoline and set her alight is given bail

webfact

Justice has not only got to be done it has to be seen to be done. It certainly does not appear to be done or seen to be done in this case. I feel for the young girl and her family. He is let out on bail. What a joke. I really do not understand how anyone in the law system could do that. Sometimes I really wonder why I live in this country.!!!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not in any way condoning or defending the accused's actions or the inequities of justice systems in many countries other than Thailand.

Worldwide, bail can generally be granted to a suspect/accused both before and after being charged with an offence.  Various jurisdictions have guidelines on what offences  bail can be granted for and, generally, cases of serious or grievous bodily harm are not given bail.  However, in some modern, western jurisdictions bail is granted to murder suspects; it would appear that granting bail is the default setting.  Any bail can be objected to by police if they can show evidence or serious concerns that the bailee will abscond or reoffend.  In this case it would appear that the threat to harm another would provide sufficient justification for the bailee to be held without bail.

In my personal experience I have seen many people granted bail for serious offences whilst the judicial process is followed.

I will now retreat to a bunker somewhere!

Police try to cancel bail after ‘threat’ to victim

and they try, and they try, and they try,

so hard they try, it makes you cry,

then they try some more,

and tell everybody how hard they work,

and we all feel so sorry for them,

and then they get a medal for trying so hard it hurts.

11 hours ago, snowgard said:

Are you all liars or do you don't read your countries press?

Just google for "bail after murder" and you will be surprised how much murders in civilisated countries come out on bail:
https://www.google.co.th/search?q=bail+after+murder

This is not a Thai thing. It's the same in the most countries.

Section 114 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 amends Schedule 1 to the Bail Act 1976. Section 114(2) provides that bail may not be granted to someone charged with murder unless the court is satisfied that there is no significant risk that, if released on bail, that person would commit an offence that would be likely to cause physical or mental injury to another person. In coming to that decision, the court must have regard to the nature and seriousness of the offence, the suspect's character and antecedents and his record in relation to previous grants of bail.

In the case in question, there is no way that bail could be given in the UK.

On 7/20/2018 at 1:53 PM, Chris Lawrence said:

What a horrible thing to do to another person; and the walk away giving threats.

mummys boys walk free every day in thailand, shocking outcome for young lady's and the 1 disfigured along with threats to others is enough put him away, connected to who is the ???s

There are many comments here claiming the supremacy of other, most likely western, justice systems over all others.  The fundamental principle of all of these justice systems is 'everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty.'  This principle was fought for by many to ensure that the the rich and mighty could not use the system to abuse those without money and power.  

The crime committed was terrible and many people 'know' the perpetrator is guilty from what they have read here and other media sources.  The justice system in many developed, forward thinking, western democracies MAY have granted bail in this case, but I can only speculate.  According to western democratic legal systems the perpetrator is innocent until he is proven to be guilty; sadly that takes time and bail is often granted until that time.

Suggestions of vigilante mob justice are advocating a return to a legal system much worse than the current one we live in  now.

20 hours ago, Cancerian said:

Coward needs to be dealt with by family and friends of victim let him know how it feels to be on fire. Boiling oil will do the job

Yes , deep fried plums will make him think again.  Let the friends and family have him.

9 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

I must be missing something. What stories in regards to the cities? 

Where have you been? They are just some of the UK towns and cities which have hit the headlines as home to mostly-Muslim "grooming gangs" responsible for violating and trafficking thousands of underage British girls. 

Arguably even more shocking than the abuse - which went on for decades on an "industrial scale" - is the fact that it was deliberately hushed up by police, social services, politicians apparently more concerned about being labelled racist than rescuing children from exploitation. The conspiracy of silence was aided and abetted by most of the mass media.

Among the handful of whistleblowers who campaigned tirelessly - even  in the face of death threats - to expose the rape gangs is Tommy Robinson, a Luton father of three young children. He is currently appealing against a 13-month jail sentence imposed for filming some of the human garbage he helped bring to justice.

Talk about shooting the messenger. . . 

Someone should buy or give the judge (that granted the bail), a new house, on a mountain side.  He's impartial, by the book, incorruptible, deliverer of sage justice.  What's the correct spelling for facetious? 

3 hours ago, animalmagic said:

In my personal experience I have seen many people granted bail for serious offences whilst the judicial process is followed.

I will now retreat to a bunker somewhere!

I understand what you are saying, BUT in the kingdom those with connections and/or money just skip the country. It is only foreigners and poor people who have to face the  painfully slow "judicial" process. Arrest the alleged offenders and let the courts decide their guilt or innocence based on the facts/allegations before them. This guy (and the P.E. teacher) deserve arrest NOT bail or summonsed for a talk with the Police. There would be little doubt in any persons mind about their guilt.

Hope my missile didn't get thru your bunker? :smile:

At the press conference today there will be about 30 cops and military personnel there. The perpetrator would probably be sitting there also with a big sad face saying sorry. The idea of the press conference I would say would be the make the girl who got burnt the aggressor and this poor helpless soul who burnt her the victim. Definitely, this guy has friends in high places.

43 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

I understand what you are saying, BUT in the kingdom those with connections and/or money just skip the country. It is only foreigners and poor people who have to face the  painfully slow "judicial" process. Arrest the alleged offenders and let the courts decide their guilt or innocence based on the facts/allegations before them. This guy (and the P.E. teacher) deserve arrest NOT bail or summonsed for a talk with the Police. There would be little doubt in any persons mind about their guilt.

Hope my missile didn't get thru your bunker? :smile:

Bunker not even rattled, phew!

I fully understand the emotion and am not in disagreement, but I would say that the judicial processes in other modern western democracies are also slow and that the the rich and powerful in all do seem to get a better deal than the rest.  The facts necessary to prove or disprove any allegation take time to collect, process and put forward.  Modern democratic legal systems do not allow individuals to be held in custody, without good reason and solid evidence, whilst this takes place.  There has to be 'no reasonable doubt' in the minds of the ones who hear this factual evidence before the accused becomes the convicted; even then there is an avenue for appeal before any detention or other punishment may be imposed.

Just now, animalmagic said:

There are many comments here claiming the supremacy of other, most likely western, justice systems over all others.  The fundamental principle of all of these justice systems is 'everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty.'  This principle was fought for by many to ensure that the the rich and mighty could not use the system to abuse those without money and power.  

The crime committed was terrible and many people 'know' the perpetrator is guilty from what they have read here and other media sources.  The justice system in many developed, forward thinking, western democracies MAY have granted bail in this case, but I can only speculate.  According to western democratic legal systems the perpetrator is innocent until he is proven to be guilty; sadly that takes time and bail is often granted until that time.

Suggestions of vigilante mob justice are advocating a return to a legal system much worse than the current one we live in  now.

The law in the UK is clear 'innocent until proved guilty' or not:

Section 114 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 amends Schedule 1 to the Bail Act 1976. Section 114(2) provides that bail may not be granted to someone charged with murder

Your argument 'until proven guilty' is fine, but bail is not granted under that premise.  Bail may appear to be granted as you say, but it's more likely that there is insufficient evidence to hold him.

Just now, HHTel said:

The law in the UK is clear 'innocent until proved guilty' or not:

Your argument 'until proven guilty' is fine, but bail is not granted under that premise.  Bail may appear to be granted as you say, but it's more likely that there is insufficient evidence to hold him.

Was not quoting UK as the only reference.  I agree that someone who has been 'charged' with an offence does not get bail.  This does not preclude someone 'accused' of the offence getting bail.  Someone in UK who has been charged has, from the depths of memory, gone through a committal proceeding where a court decides if there is sufficient evidence to proceed to trial.  However this argument is superfluous as it has no bearing on the discussion here.

3 hours ago, HHTel said:

'everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty.' 

Oh, if only.

In my two westernised countries, of which I am a citizen of both, if you receive a ticket/citation for an alleged driving offence, you need to go to court to prove your innocence!

So, it is the other way around, you're assumed guilty until you can prove your innocence. :sad:

7 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Oh, if only.

In my two westernised countries, of which I am a citizen of both, if you receive a ticket/citation for an alleged driving offence, you need to go to court to prove your innocence!

So, it is the other way around, you're assumed guilty until you can prove your innocence. :sad:

You're over simplifying.  'Innocent until proven guilty' refers to criminal law not traffic tickets!!!

And that wasn't my quote you used, it came from 'animalmagic'.  Check back.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:43 AM, mercman24 said:

can i ask once again , why do we never get any follow ups of reported cases.  eg the russian  robber, who beat that girl senseless and the Aussie guy who got stomped by the Yank, in Pattaya, just two spring to mind 

im guessing because theres always so many other new stories to BS and sensationalize about that will get more clicks and money than follow-ups

Why does the head line describe the victim as a Thai woman and not say the nationality of the perpetrator???

As a BKK man I assume he was Thai reading the headline it would appear that a Thai was victim of a foreigner.... :sad:

Anyway whatever his nationality I hope he burns in hell.

13 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Why does the head line describe the victim as a Thai woman and not say the nationality of the perpetrator???

As a BKK man I assume he was Thai reading the headline it would appear that a Thai was victim of a foreigner.... :sad:

Anyway whatever his nationality I hope he burns in hell.

Thai Rath reported on the case of a Bangkok man who doused a 22 year old Thai woman from Ubon in gasoline while she was eating with friends at a Som Tam stall.

"Incredibly the 23 year old Thai man who did it was given bail by the court in Bangkok."

There isn't a lot to misunderstand in the above sentence.

Had it been a foreigner, he would most surely have been identified.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, mercman24 said:

can i ask once again , why do we never get any follow ups of reported cases.  eg the russian  robber, who beat that girl senseless and the Aussie guy who got stomped by the Yank, in Pattaya, just two spring to mind 

Sensationalism sells even for TV. Their revenue stream is based on multiple hits on the one item or post. To follow up would be lame or considered to get less hits. TV is like the Daily Mirror; we had a similar paper in OZ but it eventually went broke. Scandal and scantily clad girls sold those papers. Just my opinion

Archived