Mentally Disturbed American Detained As He Threatens Passers-by.

britmaveric

Mentally disturbed American detained as he threatens passers-by.

03_02_4_5.jpg

A bizarre story now from the front of the Golden Beach Hotel on Pattaya Second Road. Police were called to the location on Saturday Morning after hearing of a foreign man who was threatening passers-by for no apparent reason.

Police arrived and detained Mr. Richard Clarke Fettes aged 53 from New Jersey, USA. Although many at the scene found the mans actions amusing, it was clear that Mr. Fettes, a retired doctor, was suffering from a form of mental illness. He was later taken to Hospital by a rescue unit but remained in handcuffs as a precaution. Mr. Fettes has lived here in Pattaya for more than 4 years and according to friends, he has been displaying unusual behavior for the last 3 days.

The cause of his mentally disturbed state is unknown and he is now in the hands of doctors who are liaising with the American Embassy in Bangkok.

-Pattaya City News

Saturday 3rd February 2007

Mentally disturbed American detained as he threatens passers-by.

03_02_4_5.jpg

A bizarre story now from the front of the Golden Beach Hotel on Pattaya Second Road. Police were called to the location on Saturday Morning after hearing of a foreign man who was threatening passers-by for no apparent reason.

Police arrived and detained Mr. Richard Clarke Fettes aged 53 from New Jersey, USA. Although many at the scene found the mans actions amusing, it was clear that Mr. Fettes, a retired doctor, was suffering from a form of mental illness. He was later taken to Hospital by a rescue unit but remained in handcuffs as a precaution. Mr. Fettes has lived here in Pattaya for more than 4 years and according to friends, he has been displaying unusual behavior for the last 3 days.

The cause of his mentally disturbed state is unknown and he is now in the hands of doctors who are liaising with the American Embassy in Bangkok.

-Pattaya City News

Saturday 3rd February 2007

sounds the perfect candidate for the forthcoming presidential elections !!

Mr. Fettes, a retired doctor, was suffering from a form of mental illness.

Google reveals he was a psychiatrist in Alaska.

I hope that he receives the proper treatment that he is apparently in so need of.

Good luck to you, Dr. Fettes.

Mr. Fettes, a retired doctor, was suffering from a form of mental illness.

Google reveals he was a psychiatrist in Alaska.

I hope that he receives the proper treatment that he is apparently in so need of.

Good luck to you, Dr. Fettes.

I have noticed over the years that there seems to be a considerable amount of foreign people who choose to live here develop severe mental illness, or severe depressive illness.

It would be worth opening a mental health forum on ThaiVisa to discuss and if possible, to be able to offer appropriate advice to the friends of those in need of help. (And it is available from Government Hospitals).

I suppose a degree of the problem is those who aren't working, have no routine and get the 'Mekhong' for breakfast habit.

Stop eating.............downhill from there on.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on the Drink forum, I was getting into some bad habits booze wise here - but thankfully due to some extremely close (Thai) friends who I have known for 14 years got over what was looking like a serious health problem and got the drinking into a much more acceptable (and much less damaging) framework.

Only took a couple of weeks and some order and routine back into my life.

However, without that support and without that friendship what would the outcome have been?.

Booze is like smack - doesn't take long to get a habit and when the money is gone and in a foreign land, especially one like Thailand where sympathy is a word unlikely to be heard, then it's a hard crash.

Those who take amusement from this poor fellow's unhappiness should feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Mental / depressive illness can strike anyone at anytime in their life and may those who laugh hope to get the appropriate help if it happens to them.

Without people finding it amusing.