UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

webfact

UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

2018-07-18T091924Z_1_LYNXMPEE6H0JX_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU-MAY.JPG

British Prime Minister Theresa May arrives for the EU summit in Brussels, Belgium, December 14, 2017. REUTERS/Eric Vidal/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - Britons will from next week start receiving weekly information bulletins from the government about how to make sure they're ready for a disorderly Brexit, The Times reported on Friday.

The information will be distributed as "bundles" to consumers and companies as Britain counts down to its departure from the European Union on March 29, 2019, said the newspaper.

British Prime Minister Theresa May's Brexit plan proposes negotiating the closest possible commercial links for goods trade, but even if she can secure enough support for it at home, she still needs to win agreement from the EU.

That means that a disorderly or no-deal Brexit, where the two sides fail to agree a new relationship, is still on the table.

Under the government's new campaign, the newspaper said that small businesses will be given information about how to make customs declarations while British holidaymakers will be told to buy health insurance in case current reciprocal deals end.

(Reporting by Sarah Young; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-20

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Project fear ever week. No surprise there from TM Remainer. Get her out. Get someone who believes in Brexit or keep with TM who will do her best to endure the UK stays in the EU or will do the EUs bidding and go for another referendum until they get the right result.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think it's a good idea, in the event of another 'vote' everyone will be so pi##ed off they'll get a 75% leave vote.

I know you're joking, but can you honestly see this self serving government let another Brexit happen, remain would win by a big margin by hook or by crook, the EU is their gravy train it cannot be de-railed!

Remember to stock up essential supplies like food and medicine for next year's brexit.

Some smaller and middle sized companies might fall, but the big companies should be able to handle the exit turmoil. 

On the other side, people will be missing your excellent Scottish whiskeys. Red wine it is then.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Great Project fear ever week. No surprise there from TM Remainer. Get her out. Get someone who believes in Brexit or keep with TM who will do her best to endure the UK stays in the EU or will do the EUs bidding and go for another referendum until they get the right result.

Brexiteer who has frequently argued for the U.K. to walk away from the negotiations into a ‘hard Brexit’ complains when the government starts preparing the nation for ‘hard Brexit’.

Brexiteers voted for a Brexit with no plan, complain when it turns into chaos and whinge when the government starts to prepare for the worst of the Brexit they voted for.

The heart of Brexit - it’s always someone else’s fault.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Get someone who believes in Brexit. This is what is called the Tinker Bell strategy. All you have to do is clap your hands to show you believe in Brexit, and by magic an economically stupid idea becomes brilliant.

I am every day very sory to hear how this Brexit story is develloping, even though personnaly it won’t change  too much,  having two passports a French and an UK one, both valid .I was neither against’ nor for the Brexit, I thought up to the voters. Maybe I was naive but never tought I it would become such an imbroglio!

Hard Brexit is increasingly likely as the EU will never accept any of her (TM) proposals until it has rung so many concessions out of the UK there may as well be no Brexit anyway. The choice is becoming to look like hard Brexit or lap-dog vassal state with market access sucking up any and every little rule and still being controlled from Brussels. Enough, I say, leave now, as there is no "negotiation" going on anyhow as negotiation is about coming to a win-win situation or the best possible deal for both sides. What we have going on at the moment is hard bargaining, especially from Brussels, and that is all about win-lose for one side or another but often this ends in lose-lose...makes me laugh when they say they are "negotiating", as they are not, there's a big difference. The UK is being punished, whichever way you shake it, for having the temerity to vote to leave the New World Order liberal continental power unification project. The EU has a vested interest in making an example of the UK to deter others from walking the same path...and you cannot "negotiate" with them. Business will recover and once trade deals are struck then it will be OK, if not better.

25 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Hard Brexit is increasingly likely as the EU will never accept any of her (TM) proposals until it has rung so many concessions out of the UK there may as well be no Brexit anyway. The choice is becoming to look like hard Brexit or lap-dog vassal state with market access sucking up any and every little rule and still being controlled from Brussels. Enough, I say, leave now, as there is no "negotiation" going on anyhow as negotiation is about coming to a win-win situation or the best possible deal for both sides. What we have going on at the moment is hard bargaining, especially from Brussels, and that is all about win-lose for one side or another but often this ends in lose-lose...makes me laugh when they say they are "negotiating", as they are not, there's a big difference. The UK is being punished, whichever way you shake it, for having the temerity to vote to leave the New World Order liberal continental power unification project. The EU has a vested interest in making an example of the UK to deter others from walking the same path...and you cannot "negotiate" with them. Business will recover and once trade deals are struck then it will be OK, if not better.

You are a dreamer.

26 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

When Leave were gleefully talking about ‘the easiest deal in human history’ and how the EU would be begging for a good deal from the UK, Remain argued the most likely outcome would be the UK paying for EU market access, subject to EU regulations and laws but with no control over those laws.

Don’t complain about this outcome - you were warned.

You’ll find the warning filed under project fear.

56 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

The forum Uber Hard Brexiteer message has never been anything other than a broken record of Leave Now from Day 1. Misrepresentation of the negotiation process is part of the mood music. Business Know-Nothings the orchestral arrangement.

2 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

I hear this kind of tripe alot from Brexiteers. Tell us, what the mechanisms are these new world order regimes going to invoke that overrule the very detailed laws and regulation on how to make such changes. I guess the less you know, the more likely you are to believe such nonsense.

Barnier and his ilk are already poo-pooing her latest proposals as unworkable/impossible and not making the slightest effort to reasonably sort it out unless we agree to total surrender of everything. Getting to the point where you have ask if there is any point trying to resolve all of this amicably due to their inflexibility on pretty much everything and it doesn't look like they will agree to anything reasonable. This whole load of rubbish could have been avoided if they had tossed Cameron a bone or two when he tried to be reasonable with them...but, oh no, all they did was sneer and laugh at him. It is a mess of their (EU's) own making and the rub is that democracy is a double sided coin. Be careful what you ask the average person in the street in a referendum (especially if you make it a binding one) as you might not like the answer.

23 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I don't know how you possibly can have a referendum that basically reads "Should the UK leave the EU, yes or no".  This wouldn't pass muster in the U.S. and could never make it on a ballot.  Way too vague.

The law that was enacted to facilitate the referendum clearly described it as "advisory".

But some want to insist it was a once and for all, can never be reversed or challenged, first past the post, binding vote. Strangely there the ones who happen to like the result! 

Joke in a representative democracy.

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

Barnier and his ilk are already poo-pooing her latest proposals as unworkable/impossible and not making the slightest effort to reasonably sort it out unless we agree to total surrender of everything. Getting to the point where you have ask if there is any point trying to resolve all of this amicably due to their inflexibility on pretty much everything and it doesn't look like they will agree to anything reasonable. This whole load of rubbish could have been avoided if they had tossed Cameron a bone or two when he tried to be reasonable with them...but, oh no, all they did was sneer and laugh at him. It is a mess of their (EU's) own making and the rub is that democracy is a double sided coin. Be careful what you ask the average person in the street in a referendum (especially if you make it a binding one) as you might not like the answer.

Indeed. The EU are scared to actually negotiate anything reasonable. They know several other countries would immediately hold referendums and probably vote to leave if the UK got a reasonable deal.

That was the folly of the UK Tories. They weren't honest or smart enough to tell the people the truth. Out must mean out and in must mean in - period. No one is going to create some lovely in between.

23 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

I don't know how you possibly can have a referendum that basically reads "Should the UK leave the EU, yes or no".  This wouldn't pass muster in the U.S. and could never make it on a ballot.  Way too vague.

When did a state ever try leaving the union?

I want UK to get on with it.

22 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Still no plan from Brexiteers - just whinging about how Brexit is a cluster and so that must be Remain’s fault.

No plan for Brexit,  no idea about post-Brexit trade deals.

As is often the case it is easier to be against something than for it. The Brexiteers can critisize and whinge at TM for not giving them the fantasy Brexit that they wanted, without putting forward a single coherent alternative, apart from the economy destroying WTO rules. We do roughly, 50% of our trade with the EU and only 20% with the US, even a  Brexiteer should be able to work out that cutting ourselves off from the single market is not a wise idea.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:11 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Oh yes Project Fear again, as used against the Scots where I believe the phrase first came to prominence. The difference being this time the economic prospect really is grim. My one hope, if we do leave, is that as the baby boomer Brexiteer generation die off (Fondly cradling their airfix spitfire models as they make their way to the great English empire in the sky) the younger generation whose brains are still capable of rational thought will take us back into the EU.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Well that is all very well to say but nobody is prepared to take on Brexit.  The whinging Rees Mogg and his chums won't do it because they know that getting the Brexit you are talking about is unachievable.  A leadership challenge would see her out of the door in a heartbeat but nobody will take on the impossible to deliver a "positive" Brexit.  All they could  achieve would be no deal and none of them will put their name to that.  Johnsons pathetic resignation speech suggested that May should change tack but not a word about stepping aside.

It is looking more and more like a simple "No Deal" or "No Brexit" but both sides have said that a no deal scenario would be bad news!

4 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The forum Uber Hard Brexiteer message has never been anything other than a broken record of Leave Now from Day 1. Misrepresentation of the negotiation process is part of the mood music. Business Know-Nothings the orchestral arrangement.

Whereas you on the other hand...?

8 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

As is often the case it is easier to be against something than for it. The Brexiteers can critisize and whinge at TM for not giving them the fantasy Brexit that they wanted, without putting forward a single coherent alternative, apart from the economy destroying WTO rules. We do roughly, 50% of our trade with the EU and only 20% with the US, even a  Brexiteer should be able to work out that cutting ourselves off from the single market is not a wise idea.

Oh yes Project Fear again, as used against the Scots where I believe the phrase first came to prominence. The difference being this time the economic prospect really is grim. My one hope, if we do leave, is that as the baby boomer Brexiteer generation die off (Fondly cradling their airfix spitfire models as they make their way to the great English empire in the sky) the younger generation whose brains are still capable of rational thought will take us back into the EU.

I made airfix spitfires, I'm a boomer from a former right wing background, and I voted remain.  

29 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well that is all very well to say but nobody is prepared to take on Brexit.  The whinging Rees Mogg and his chums won't do it because they know that getting the Brexit you are talking about is unachievable.  A leadership challenge would see her out of the door in a heartbeat but nobody will take on the impossible to deliver a "positive" Brexit.  All they could  achieve would be no deal and none of them will put their name to that.  Johnsons pathetic resignation speech suggested that May should change tack but not a word about stepping aside.

It is looking more and more like a simple "No Deal" or "No Brexit" but both sides have said that a no deal scenario would be bad news!

Whatever you think of JRM, he is a very clever man and doesn't deserve to be called "whinging." Why would JRM take over the 'poison chalice' when he can control May from the back benches. He is the one that added the amendments to the white paper, with a little help from his friends of course. It made the white paper more of a realistic brexit and what we voted for. I can understand why you don't like him though, he must be to the remainers what Gina Millar is to the leavers.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Whatever you think of JRM, he is a very clever man and doesn't deserve to be called "whinging." Why would JRM take over the 'poison chalice' when he can control May from the back benches. He is the one that added the amendments to the white paper, with a little help from his friends of course. It made the white paper more of a realistic brexit and what we voted for. I can understand why you don't like him though, he must be to the remainers what Gina Millar is to the leavers.

And why is it a poisoned chalice? That's because there is no good outcome for the UK. Just some that are less bad than others.

Archived