Thailand's Spirit Houses Explained 

Useful, thanks for posting. While I leave it to the Thai wife to believe in all this stuff I've come up to speed on the appropriate way we need to follow to move/dispose of an existing wooden spirit house on our land and the installation of a decent concrete platform and the new houses in the north east corner of our land. The wife seemed quite put out recently when I suggested to her that these beliefs and spirit houses did not derive from Buddhism.

I have been visiting many  temples and see many of these spirit houses but, fortunatly, never seen one what's been offered meat. Think this will give a very awful smell.

Simple, really. There are spirits in the land before you got there. Your dwelling displaced them so you provide them with a place to live and feed them.

San means law court in Thai. 'Spirit house' is san pra phum. Thais say san pra phum is the only court you can trust.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 5:09 AM, unblocktheplanet said:

Simple, really. There are spirits in the land before you got there. Your dwelling displaced them so you provide them with a place to live and feed them.

San means law court in Thai. 'Spirit house' is san pra phum. Thais say san pra phum is the only court you can trust.

Thanks. Good info

Archived