Thai officials probed in Japanese bribery scandal

snoop1130

Thai officials probed in Japanese bribery scandal

By Natthapat Phromkaew 
The Nation 

The recent Japanese bribery scandal has implicated five Thai officials, National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) member Vittaya Arkompituk disclosed on Friday.

He was speaking in response to news reports that Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems alerted Japanese public prosecutors about a Bt20million bribe made by some of its employees to Thai officials, after receiving a tip-off from a whistle-blower.

“The scandal surrounds the construction of a power plant in Thailand. It happened in 2013,” Vittaya said. 

Thailand’s Marine Department confirmed earlier this week that it was now investigating the alleged bribe. 

Vittaya made it clear that the Marine Department was not the only implicated agency. “This case involves five officials from many agencies,” he said. 

According to him, the NACC investigation is already more than 80 per cent complete. 

“We have been in contact with Japanese public prosecutors,” said Vittaya, who heads the probe committee. 

He said the implicated officials would be summoned to acknowledge the accusations and put forward a defence. 

“This is an important case. It affects investors’ confidence,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30350488

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-20

The main error of the bribe takers in this instance is that it was only 20MB, so not really enough love to pass around to bury the issue. In the future add a zero or two then you can spread the love around to make all the investigative organs forget about it.

48 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

“This is an important case. It affects investors’ confidence,”

Not at all concerned with catching criminals, just trying to ensure that further chances of making some money dont disappear.

Everyone talks of bribery. This is not about bribery, it is about extortion of money from a Japanese company by Thai civil servants. No one is bribing anyone.

You can be 100% sure it is the Thais doing the extorting.

From what I hear the Japanese are very principled in the way they do business.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

It happened in 2013,This is an important case. The NACC investigation is already more than 80 per cent complete.

Because it happened before the coup. And therefore the NACC is investigating, vigorously and without delay.

On the other hand, the watch-boy case just can't get any traction at all.

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Everyone talks of bribery. This is not about bribery, it is about extortion of money from a Japanese company by Thai civil servants. No one is bribing anyone.

You can be 100% sure it is the Thais doing the extorting.

From what I hear the Japanese are very principled in the way they do business.

Of course it's bribery. The civil servants try to extort a bribe, usually to make sure a contract is  awarded or to make sure one that has been is completed smoothly and hassle free.

If you think any businesses don't pay bribes, you're naive in the extreme. Of course some loath them more than others. Some, very few I would suggest, will not pay. The UK introduced new legislation making it criminal offense to know about a bribe and not report it. The US I believe tightened it's legislation around the same time in the wake of some public sector bribery scandals. I read last week a university in a Southern state has recently be found to have corrupt officials.

Japanese businesses were well known for their willingness to "entertain" customers. I know people who worked in HK for some large Japanese, Dutch and German companies, blue chips. All knew their organizations would do what was necessary to win business. 

The fact this is a "whistleblower" suggests that the Japanese firm was going along with it before the whistle was blown.

Perhaps, as with many things here, the power plant project in Thailand wasn't actually built or never fully completed.

Thus, the Japanese wanted their 20MB extorted bribe back, and the Thai recipients told them to go take a hike. That's the price of doing business in Thailand, Ichiro!

On 7/20/2018 at 7:22 PM, Just1Voice said:

Bribery in Thailand.  I'm sorry, I find that hard to accept.

Yeah, right. lol

This response was funny the first hundred times it's been posted. But isn't it time for something a bit more original --- and funny?

Archived