Foreign media slammed for pursuit of Wild Boars boys

rooster59

Foreign media slammed for pursuit of Wild Boars boys

report-cave.jpg

ABC News interviews one of the Wild Boars boys

Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu today expressed disappointment at the conduct of some foreign journalists who defied advice of psychiatrists and child welfare officials against interviewing the young members of the Wild Boars soccer team after they were discharged from the hospital.

“Some foreign media have  acted below the professional standard which is something regrettable and unforgivable,” wrote Mr Thawatchai in his Facebook page.  He was apparently responding to an interview that a correspondent of ABC News had with one of the young survivors from Tham Luang cave.

The interview created an uproar on the Thai social media after it was aired last night, prompting calls for Thai authorities to take action against the American journalist.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-media-slammed-pursuit-wild-boars-boys/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-21

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God forbid that the precious and fragile kids will be interviewed by a foreign media, this is what media do, including Thai media, and for the boys have been released home being found able to resume normal life, i don't see what's the problem here apart from a guy who's got his nose out of joint for some inexplicable reason...

Yes, let's have a tame press who can only report on things approved by the authorities, with their stories censored by one of the 1,700 generals. In fact, kick out all foreign journalists, including those who work for the Bangkok Post, The Nation, Thai PBS etc. Ahhh, stuff it! Let's just kick out all foreigners and be done with it. 

God forbid that the precious and fragile kids will be interviewed by a foreign media, this is what media do, including Thai media, and for the boys have been released home being found able to resume normal life, i don't see what's the problem here apart from a guy who's got his nose out of joint for some inexplicable reason...
It is called respect! These youngsters have been through a terrible ordeal and trauma and deserve to be left alone to resume their lives, without the intrusion of the media. Show some dignity and allow individuals the freedom to enjoy their personal space and move on!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Press, both nationally and internationally all have a reputation for being vultures for a very good reason, they are. Hardly surprising this has happened and the only thing that will amaze me is if it is the last time it happens. Especially if the family got paid for it, we can expect more soon.

12 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

The Press, both nationally and internationally all have a reputation for being vultures for a very good reason, they are. Hardly surprising this has happened and the only thing that will amaze me is if it is the last time it happens. Especially if the family got paid for it, we can expect more soon.

money money  money.......theyd  sell  their own daughters...............oh  wait!

oh dear can't vet the questions by the nasty foreigners who are probably giving them a few baht for an interview. Nobody has to agree to any interviews it's should be left up to the families, not anybody else.

16 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

oh dear can't vet the questions by the nasty foreigners who are probably giving them a few baht for an interview. Nobody has to agree to any interviews it's should be left up to the families, not anybody else.

In Thailand theyll be the last people to be asked ( or  told what to do) especially with money on offer...............and theyll all want their cut

"foreign media have  acted below the professional standard which is something regrettable and unforgivable,” wrote Mr Thawatchai .. but it is common and indicative of the ethics of journalism. please send them far away along with the domestic journalist.

Despite some of the sniping reviews, think for the boys welfare, media should back off & show some respect. 

Give the boys time to resume there normal lives again. Will be difficult enough, without the intrusion of media hacks, trying to get a story that will be cut & sliced to suit media producers purposes, i.e self promoting interest, nothing to do with boys or coach!! 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Some foreign media have  acted below the professional standard which is something regrettable and unforgivable

I agree. But do consider to also condemn any translators and guides who may have assisted the journalist in locating the boy as well as the parents, if they took money for the interview. Those people could probably be Thai nationals...

I followed the story like everyone else and was happy when all the kids were out and safe.

I also posted that it was good to read the kids were calm and did all the right things to help each other during the ordeal, note I'm not picking a hero.

I doubt very much if the sensationalist media can report it as such. They need to have drama and excitement in their stories and will twist facts to reflect that ( based on what they want to hear )

Interview the divers and rescue teams, not the kids. Let the kids go back to school and their football and leave them alone. Kids can and will be easily led in interviews and quotes will be made based on the interviewrs 'what I think he really meant was xxxxx'

I can already see an editor's reaction 'this is just a report about the kids sitting quietly, meditating and waiting patiently for rescue they 100% believed was on the way, it's boring, I need more drama and excitement if it's going on the front page,'

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

As a former editor I always kept my personal professional ethics above acting like a vulture. However, those slamming the media should likewise slam the parents to fork in for an interview. And in regard to Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu, the "government" could have easily bought the exclusive rights for all interviews, or even better implement a gag order for personal interviews with the boys by local and international media. Their article 44 was  used for much less entities before. But of course that would look pretty weird at the point when the Ministry of Culture and the TAT sell the exclusive rights of the cave story to Hollywood.

Would there have been the same social media outrage and complaints from the authorities had this been a Thai journalist?

I'd guess probably not but the journalist may have been in big trouble from those who must be obeyed!

THAIS AND THAILAND ALWAYS NEEDS SOMEONE, THE BEST ARE FOREIGNERS, to blame !

The better look daily on their wrongdoing and keep quite due to the thousands of facts thai action is totally wrong and has no morality at all: a kind of rotten society. Too bad for all the brave people in Thailand!

How dare they !  Foreign interlopers,  these are our stateless and Thai citizens to exploit. 

What do the parents think ?  Do not give a toss what some Thai judgy thinks or a doctor.  The parents need to get out front of this, or the story will be mostly about Thai gold digging and statelessness. 

Pretty sure the parents are just grateful to have their children back.   They will probably be just as happy when the media circus leaves town.

If allowed they will hound them... .... forever.....a fact...

Let me rewrite this story

Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu today expressed disappointment at the conduct of one of the families who defied advice of psychiatrists and child welfare officials against interviewing the young members of the Wild Boars soccer team after they were discharged from the hospital.

“Some parents have denied their responsible duties in favour of a small yet substantial brown envelope which is something regrettable and unforgivable,” wrote Mr Thawatchai in his Facebook page.  He was apparently responding to an interview that a correspondent of ABC News had with one of the young survivors from Tham Luang cave.

The interview created an uproar on the Thai social media after it was aired last night, prompting calls for Thai authorities to take action against the parents who sold their son out for a couple of hundred dollars.

Yes "news" is a commodity ...it is not about "informing" people but about making money

Archived