Foreign media slammed for pursuit of Wild Boars boys

rooster59

50 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

The coach is an adult surely he can be interviewed.

I think all of thrm should talk about their experiences as it will help them to proces it instead of be silent!

Do you say that with any professional knowledge and experience in psychiatry and specifically in the area of PTSD?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

As a former editor I always kept my personal professional ethics above acting like a vulture. However, those slamming the media should likewise slam the parents to fork in for an interview. And in regard to Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu, the "government" could have easily bought the exclusive rights for all interviews, or even better implement a gag order for personal interviews with the boys by local and international media. Their article 44 was  used for much less entities before. But of course that would look pretty weird at the point when the Ministry of Culture and the TAT sell the exclusive rights of the cave story to Hollywood.

To use the famous phrase of Walter Cronkite: '...and now you know the rest of the story' - UPDATE: Govt gives green light to production of movie about Tham Luang mission.

... and yet every single one of us bar none will read the articles and watch the interviews. The fact that we are all talking about it now indicates we all still have an interest in this story. 

42 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"Thailand has put in place a system to protect this group of children... "

How about protecting this group of children?????

Thank you three times. It makes me sick to my bones to read about what is happening to the kids in Thai schools on such a frequent basis. The cave story was an extraordinary one, but the evil going on in the schools is a tragedy that never seems to end. Yet few people seem perturbed enough to deal with it. 

21 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Do you say that with any professional knowledge and experience in psychiatry and specifically in the area of PTSD?

Yes to express about ur feelings and experiences bad or good is always better then to express nothing..

Anyway soon the coach will tell us his story or is he also restricted?

2 hours ago, eggers said:

Despite some of the sniping reviews, think for the boys welfare, media should back off & show some respect. 

Give the boys time to resume there normal lives again. Will be difficult enough, without the intrusion of media hacks, trying to get a story that will be cut & sliced to suit media producers purposes, i.e self promoting interest, nothing to do with boys or coach!! 

You think so? 

How long have you been here?

Don't put Western values on Thai mentality, it doesn't wash, it doesn't work!

Those boys are safe and sound and now when the money aspect takes over and parents become involved, it's all about CASH!

23 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes to express about ur feelings and experiences bad or good is always better then to express nothing..

Anyway soon the coach will tell us his story or is he also restricted?

Are you quoting this from solid broad psychiatry research or  just your opinion?

3 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

It is called respect! These youngsters have been through a terrible ordeal and trauma and deserve to be left alone to resume their lives, without the intrusion of the media. Show some dignity and allow individuals the freedom to enjoy their personal space and move on!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yet I saw all 13 of them assembled on a Thai TV show on Wednesday evening (i.e. before the pronouncement from this bloke) and they seemed to enjoy the experience.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

They will probably be just as happy when the media circus leaves town.

put medias  in the same cave during the rainy season, they will have something to tell and know what the feelings are 

no need to interview the kids 

To tell the press something and expect them to follow the rules is being very naive.  They professionally and financially have an incredible investment and interest in getting breaking news.  If you don't want them interviewed for a couple of months, need to either seclude them or have a body guard.  There are the good guys and the bad guys in the media, and a whole bunch of levels in between.  The do gooders say don't do that, but the real world is a fantasy to them.  It's not a Thai thing it's a problem with humanity.  To say it is a Thai thing is ignorant.

Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu is an incredible buffoon. Unforgivable? What, the traffic deaths on the road are not a concern to you? What about:

The deaths of 46 Chinese tourists, due to the negligence of the captain, the boat owners, and the authorities?

The continued incompetence of Little P., and the effect it is having on the Thai economy.

What about his continued postponement of elections? This is not unforgivable?

The taxi mafias existing nationwide, without any regulation. This is not unforgivable?

The massive amount of human trafficking, and slave labor, being peddled by current Thai officials, and police? This is not a concern to you? This is not unforgivable? Well, why are you making no effort to pursue any of these criminals? Why are you just sitting in your office and spouting useless drivel?

Give me a break. This feigned outrage is so petty. Of course journalists want to interview these boys. This is a big story. If they do not want to be interviewed, they can just tell the journalists to get lost. 

9 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Yet I saw all 13 of them assembled on a Thai TV show on Wednesday evening (i.e. before the pronouncement from this bloke) and they seemed to enjoy the experience.

They were promoting the Gov line, carefully rehearsed answers to hand picked questions. Now they get to say what they really felt.

scares the authorities 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Justice deputy permanent secretary Thawatchai Thaikhieu is an incredible buffoon. Unforgivable? What, the traffic deaths on the road are not a concern to you? What about:

The deaths of 46 Chinese tourists, due to the negligence of the captain, the boat owners, and the authorities?

The continued incompetence of Little P., and the effect it is having on the Thai economy.

What about his continued postponement of elections? This is not unforgivable?

The taxi mafias existing nationwide, without any regulation. This is not unforgivable?

The massive amount of human trafficking, and slave labor, being peddled by current Thai officials, and police? This is not a concern to you? This is not unforgivable? Well, why are you making no effort to pursue any of these criminals? Why are you just sitting in your office and spouting useless drivel?

Give me a break. This feigned outrage is so petty. Of course journalists want to interview these boys. This is a big story. If they do not want to be interviewed, they can just tell the journalists to get lost. 

Was their outrage on Thai media about the PE teacher

news is news...no one can stop this and probably if they stop them now it will just mean they will be hounded for longer...better get it over with as news will soon move on to another story somewhere else in the world.

It's not so much the interviews it's the crap that reporters write.

Lots of 'get out clauses'

It's my belief that blah blah.

From what 'I' understand it seems blah blah.

It isn't confirmed but blah blah.

Another source has been reported as saying blah blah.

It might be lost in translation however it also seems blah blah.

Journalists want to get a story. It's their job. But when it comes to children, victims of sexual assault, etc., there are ethical considerations concerning the welfare of those people versus the desire or need to tell a story or report the news. Unfortunately, not all journalists adhere to these ethical considerations. Especially television journalists. Whether you like the Thai authorities or not, in this instance, they are doing the right thing, and they are following the advice of doctors and psychologists in doing so. 

I saw the short interview on TV ( USA) and it was done professionally and portrayed the Thai family in a positive way. Americans and other nationalities around the world were praying for these boys daily and heard about this event daily. With the international involvement in saving these kids or those who were glued to the news about these kids’ safety, a short news item about the “aftermath” is fine. 

Thai government don't give a toss about these brats. They just don't want any potential loss of earnings lol. They are not there mother or father and any interviews is up to the parents. Go use Some body else. And please hurry with election dates so we can return you to the barracks ASAP

As soon as I saw this headline, before I'd even clicked on the link, I knew it would have whipped up a typical and predictable TVF frenzy and I wasn't disappointed.  Jeez you guys love it don't you - the parents would have got money for it, typical Thais obsessed by greed, always blame foreigners, why not kick all the foreigners out of the country - that'll be the next step, etc etc.

The fact is the boys have been through a massively traumatic experience that none of us could ever comprehend, the youngest is only 11.  Professional counsellors and child psychologists have recommended the boys not be pressed on things or asked to recount the trauma - not yet.  The Thai press respected that, the foreign press did not.  That's the fact of the matter.  And to think there are people on here saying "it'll be better for them to talk about it".  So of course TVF has not only cave experts, rescue coordination experts, diving experts, but also trauma experts and child psychologists!  We're so lucky to have such people here.

Just imagine instead the headline was "Thai media slammed for pursuit of Wild Boars boys" then the very same people would be in a very similar frenzy, I guarantee it.  The foreign media are more ethical and respect the guidance of professionals, typical Thais just trying to sell more newspapers because Thais only care about money, etc etc, blah blah.

So typical.  So predictable.  So pathetic.

4 minutes ago, pattaya1234was said:

The media were asked to stay away from the boys and ABC decided in its wisdom to take no notice. End of story.

Based on the old 'the public has a right to know.' That in my my mind only covers decisions made in higher political realms that would have a negative effect on the population at large.

The cave rescue is of interest only, not national or international political decisions.

And, no, I'm not pointing a political finger at anyone, I'm talking about the rescue.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

It's not so much the interviews it's the crap that reporters write.

Lots of 'get out clauses'

It's my belief that blah blah.

From what 'I' understand it seems blah blah.

It isn't confirmed but blah blah.

Another source has been reported as saying blah blah.

It might be lost in translation however it also seems blah blah.

@Dexlowe

Sad???   You, me or the post ?

Archived