Burmese maid takes a leaf out of the Thai book! Returns bag containing $11,000 to tourist

rooster59

Burmese maid takes a leaf out of the Thai book! Returns bag containing $11,000 to tourist

maid1.JPG

Image: Daily News

A tourist from the Netherlands had good reason to thank a maid from Myanmar at his hotel on Koh Samui yesterday.

Sawee Let Mau, 37, showed it was not just the Thais who are high up in the honesty stakes. 

Sawee found the green bag under some stairs - it contained Aussie dollars to the tune of 280,000 baht - several years wages for a maid. 

Police were called to the Ark Bar Hotel in Chaweng and CCTV was checked before Alexander Joseph, 31, was confirmed as the rightful owner.

He gave the honest maid $100 as a reward. 

Daily News praised the maid for helping the tourist image of Thailand.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-21

maidd2.JPG

5 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

They just HAD to put "Burmese" maid instead of "Myanmar", didn't they.  No racism in Thailand, is there? 

The language is still called Burmese. Then again, who are we to dictate how the Thais refer to their neighbours?!

Are you one of these Westerners who sees "racism" everywhere?!

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

I can see a defamation suit coming from a group of Thai taxi drivers, concerned about them slipping down the honesty ratings on the 'returned tourists property' page.

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

They just HAD to put "Burmese" maid instead of "Myanmar", didn't they.  No racism in Thailand, is there? 

So, what is more racist with calling someone Burmese, instead of a person from Myanmar? You totally lost me there. What is it you know, that many others don´t?

However, regarding the news. It´s a really lucky guy, at the same time as dumb as a nutshell. How can he just lose 11K of Australian dollars? Unfathomable! Thumbs up for the maid, though. Tumbs down again for the australian guy, who only gave 100 dollar as reward. Disgusting!

37 minutes ago, Naroge said:

Nice to see the maid got a decent reward. Most often they seem to end up empty handed.

$100 a decent reward for returning $11,000? that's less  than 1% , I get a better reward from my credit card.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I find the humble coming from Myanmar to be on par Thais.  They do not follow Thais nor need they do so.   Tho people from both countries have governments worthy of shame. 

5 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I have several friends from Myanmar including one medical doctor, two accountants and a sales manager. All refer to them self as Burmese.

3 hours ago, Naroge said:

Nice to see the maid got a decent reward. Most often they seem to end up empty handed.

Decent? Yeah, I guess it´s better than nothing as you say. There is a rule in Thailand, though. 10% should be given to the one that finds it, but as always it´s not enforced or in use.
My opinion is that the guy should have been given her at least 500. It must be better to have 10500 than nothing, right? That would have been decent.

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

The language is still called Burmese. Then again, who are we to dictate how the Thais refer to their neighbours?!

Are you one of these Westerners who sees "racism" everywhere?!

You are so right. And Myanmar is the  name of the country imposed by the Burmese Junta, before that it was called Burma. 

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

So you would have given her how much?

To be honest, I don't know, I guess it all depends on the financial situation I find myself at the time.  If I needed the money for my mom's life saving surgery , very litle , apologise ,and explain.

If I needed for a drunken binger in Pattaya I would be more generous, (end everything in between) after all I would have had zero if she had kept it. 

I don't know  this person's situation and I am not being critical to him, I am not critical to you either I don't know you and I don't know your situation either,, am being critical to callin a $100 reward "decent".  

6 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

In other words he was tighter than a fishes <deleted>

That's funny! LOL

in the US we say "tighter than a crabs ass"  In the UK I hear ducks are involved .But I haven't heard anything about  Aquaman's sphincter  yet LOL 

Archived