Longan Prices in Chiang mai

Currently (July 21st) we can sell our Longan for:

22 baht per kilo for AA

16 baht for A

6 baht for B

1 baht for C (so not worth picking)

It will take us abour a week or so to finish our harvest.

My questions are:

1) Are prices similar elsewhere?

2) How soon till prices crash? I ask as if need be we can hire extra workers but I prefer not to.

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

A couple days ago, my wife sold some from our garden in Loei market (retail) for 15 per kilo even though others were charging 20.  No idea about grade but they looked nice.

Maybe that was with the branches?

The prices I mentioned are only for longan no branches.

Next year we want to sell in the market on the branch at retail.

Not a lot of money but fun.

On 7/31/2018 at 10:35 PM, TravelerEastWest said:

Maybe that was with the branches?

The prices I mentioned are only for longan no branches.

Yes, with small branches.  The loose ones were given away as samples.

A day or so ago, my wife saw some very nice ones and asked the price - 15 Baht/kg.  She didn't want or need any, but the nice seller wanted to make the first sale of the morning and reduced to 10 Baht.  My wife bought a kilo and just gave them to friends in the market.

In Sanpatong they were paying 23Bt/kilo the other day.

We just had someone come in and harvest ours, mainly because we don't want lots of rotting longan on the ground. Not anticipating much from it but will find out what they got for them , tomorrow.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Our organic longans are at 24 baht per kilo for a volume sale. Two years ago they were 41 baht per kilo.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

Is that on the branch?

And are you getting an organic price or do they not care?

Selling local or for export?

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

- On the branch

- Depends who we sell to

- Local

So you are getting more than us as we get that price of the branch.

I don't know how to get more or sell on the branch now as we have thousands of kilos more than the local market needs...

Next year I will try to pre sell.

I'm not directly involved, I just live on the family farm (the whole farm is organic), so I can't really go into a lot of analysis about the growing or the marketing. I know that TOPS is a regular buyer.

It's been a very difficult year, apparently there's a new insect that's resistant to the organic pesticide that has been used for the dragon fruit, which are, by the way, delicious!

Good luck!

Re my earler post. I was wrong about the price being for organic longans - apparently there is no market for organic, so we sell them at the regular price. If buyers are paying slightly more in our area, it's possibly because a lot of local farmers cleared their longan trees a few years ago, so the local supply is lower.

6 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Re my earler post. I was wrong about the price being for organic longans - apparently there is no market for organic, so we sell them at the regular price. If buyers are paying slightly more in our area, it's possibly because a lot of local farmers cleared their longan trees a few years ago, so the local supply is lower.

Thank you!

China apparently will pay extra for organic longan - so there are some options for next year...

Archived