Too old for the decent positions at 50?

My plan is to come over to Thailand next March and study the CELTA course at IH Bangkok. I’m thinking that by the time the course is finished in mid April (and after Songkran) there should be lots of work available? I’ve heard that getting hired might be difficult due to my age. I’ll be 51 next year. I’ve seen quite a few adverts that specify job-seekers should be under the age of 45.

Anyhow, I have quite a bit of teaching experience from a few years ago and with a newly minted CELTA, I wouldn’t really want to settle for a salary of less than 45k a month in Bangkok. Do you think my age would work against me getting a fairly decent job in Bangkok? 

I don’t really mind a move to the provinces, but I’m thinking working in Bangkok might be more beneficial for my own professional development - I plan on taking a graduate diploma course in teaching methodology - and also have a plan to do the Delta. My long term goal is to teach in the Gulf. 

Thanks for reading and just wanted to clarify a few concerns I’ve had. 

So long as you have a university bachelor's degree, you'll have no problem finding work. However, a lot depends on you. If you dress well, behave professionally and actively look for work, you'll be inundated with offers early May.

The schools that specify a ridiculous maximum age are often schools where you wouldn't want to work anyway - superficial standards.

50 is not that old:Ads often specify a lower age limit, but if you make a personal appearance at the school and look healthy and energetic they will waive that.

IIf Thailand doesn't work out, try Vietnam:I am 60 and had no problems landing a job here last year after teaching in Thailand for over 20 years. 

No problem Andrew, although most schools prefer and request for Teachers age 45 or younger is more a formality to conform to the Thai hiring age group which is restrictive beyond age 45. I've taught English for 3 yrs 2007-2010 (age57-60) and gave up and Retired permanently. The key for you would be a strong educational background experience and your qualifications. It's a case of supply and demand and the demand is always greater than the supply. So age can and is often waivered to suit the school's needs. You may come across a few schools that want to keep the age difference between teacher and student to a minimum to better relate, depending on that particular school's focus and objectives. Don't over concern yourself about it. 

23 hours ago, thecyclist said:

50 is not that old:Ads often specify a lower age limit, but if you make a personal appearance at the school and look healthy and energetic they will waive that.

IIf Thailand doesn't work out, try Vietnam:I am 60 and had no problems landing a job here last year after teaching in Thailand for over 20 years. 

I have spent quite a bit of time in Thailand, including working for STOU from 1984-1986, and just came back from 40+ days in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). It was incredibly dirty (garbage everywhere except the central district) but the people were open, helpful and generally easy-going. I think teaching there would be quite pleasant.

I have heard, however, that the same problem of thug schools exploiting both foreign and local teachers has become an issue in recent years. Fly-by-nighters

I have regularly mentioned the higher salaries and lack of age-discrimination in Myanmar, where I've been teaching for the past few years.

My view hasn't changed.  Despite that, I am coming back to Thailand early next year to continue full-time what I currently do on a part-time basis, which is teaching English on-line. (Internet connections are generally faster in Thailand than Myanmar).

In my evenings and at weekends, I teach English to young students in China and Vietnam, either one-to-one or as a group.  The demand for teachers is such that I can work as many hours as I want each week, with a pay rate higher than the good pay rate that I currently receive at my international school.

I'm being 'pestered' by these online schools to teach during the weekday daytime, which I can only do if I give up in-class teaching.

There seem to be some benefits to online teaching while based in Thailand:

- The legal status of this type of work is not 100% clearly defined, but seems to be accepted as legal, provided that one doesn't actually teach Thai students in Thailand.

- As such, no work permit or B or 'marriage' visa (and the associated costs) are needed - one can work on a retirement visa.

- Unlike my current in-class employment, there is no requirement for me to assign homework, mark homework, attend meetings, or complete detailed CATS (continuous assessment) spreadsheets - I just teach the assigned lesson content.

Just to add that at 60 years old, I've found no problems whatsoever in finding online teaching work - it does help though if you look 'youthful' ?

For teaching online I guess you would need an ethernet connection? In Thailand how does that work? Do you just plug an ethernet cable into your own wireless/internet router?

I would be worried about connection problems because I’ve heard some companies deduct your salary for a whole teaching period even if your connection problems lasted for only a minute or so.

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have regularly mentioned the higher salaries and lack of age-discrimination in Myanmar, where I've been teaching for the past few years.

My view hasn't changed.  Despite that, I am coming back to Thailand early next year to continue full-time what I currently do on a part-time basis, which is teaching English on-line. (Internet connections are generally faster in Thailand than Myanmar).

In my evenings and at weekends, I teach English to young students in China and Vietnam, either one-to-one or as a group.  The demand for teachers is such that I can work as many hours as I want each week, with a pay rate higher than the good pay rate that I currently receive at my international school.

I'm being 'pestered' by these online schools to teach during the weekday daytime, which I can only do if I give up in-class teaching.

- The legal status of this type of work is not 100% clearly defined, but seems to be accepted as legal, provided that one doesn't actually teach Thai students in Thailand.

- As such, no work permit or B or 'marriage' visa (and the associated costs) are needed - one can work on a retirement visa.

- Unlike my current in-class employment, there is no requirement for me to assign homework, mark homework, attend meetings, or complete detailed CATS (continuous assessment) spreadsheets - I just teach the assigned lesson content.

Just to add that at 60 years old, I've found no problems whatsoever in finding online teaching work - it does help though if you look 'youthful' ?

Few years?? 

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

Hi Simon43,apologies for veering off topic I was really interested to read your post. I  am currently living in Shanghai and looking to

do some teaching online, please could you advise/recommend the company you work with ?.

many thanks

On 7/23/2018 at 10:24 AM, orchidfan said:

China also screaming out for teachers....work visa provided and sometimes travel a nd accommodation assistance.

Salaries 4 times that if Thailand. .but it is China!

As someone who worked in China these last 4 words speak volumes. Don't do it. There's lots of woto in Laos too. It pays better than China or Thailand for the most part.

Few years?? 

To clarify, I have been teaching in Myanmar full-time since 2012, with a 1-year break around 2015 when I worked as a headmaster in Laos.  I have also been teaching online from Myanmar for the last 2 years in my local evenings and at weekends.

There are dozens of online companies offering work to NES teachers.  ESL Cafe is probably the best place to find details.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:16 PM, simon43 said:

It's pretty much a perfect understanding of the situation in Thailand- authoritative even.

Uh no it's not legal to work online as a teacher without a work permit - and of course you can't get a work permit for it. And of course it's not legal to work on a retirement "visa".

The fact that an immigration official has said that he turns a blind eye to digital nomads on a tourist visa does not make it legal. Any country will allow tourists to do online work if they need to when they're on holiday. That's a long way away from repeat visa-runners or retirees abusing the privilege. Will you get caught? probaby not, but do have the integrity not to delude yourself.

This is a topic which comes up repeatedly, so tedious. If you really believe it's legal, go to the labour office and the MoE and notify them of what you're doing.

In the last couple of years I've heard of several expats being deported for teaching illegally, and even of Thais being closed down for not complying with regulations.

90% of online teaching is so tedious anyway. 

On 7/25/2018 at 4:16 PM, simon43 said:

Not trying to destroy your dreams, but you're NOT allowed to work on a Non - O/ retirement visa. But you are allowed to work on a Non-O based on marriage to a Thai. 

The retirement once approved allows you to stay in Thailand for one year. You are not allowed to have employment while on this type of visa.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/retire/retire.php

In the last couple of years I've heard of several expats being deported for teaching illegally

For teaching overseas students online?  Show me the link.

This is veering off-topic and has been 'done to death'.

Jenny, yes I'm aware of the visa requirements for working in Thailand.  For digital nomads, different, unwritten rules seem to apply ?  I have a Thailand Elite 5 year visa.

90% of online teaching is so tedious anyway. 

The only thing that makes teaching tedious is a tedious teacher.......

@Simon "show me the Link”, actually Simon I didn’t get to know about this through forums. I don’t rely on forums much, except for entertainment.

I also know of a Thai teacher who was “let go” for online teaching, and of other teachers who are prevented by contract from teaching elsewhere ("moonlighting"), including online – just in case they are unable to understand the terms of their work permits I guess.

As for you saying that “The only thing that makes [online] teaching tedious is a tedious teacher.......” ,

a strange comment from someone who claims to be an experienced online teacher. You must know that the vast majority of online teaching is scripted by your employer – it’s a highly prescriptive and sterile environment.

I’m not quite sure of the relevance of your claim to have an Elite 5 yr visa. It would seem to be completely unnecessary for someone in your position.

22 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I’m not quite sure of the relevance of your claim to have an Elite 5 yr visa.

I'm sure he does, he is a long time helpful member here. I remember back in the day he earned over 1 million a month. An elite visas is nothing.

Archived