Too old for the decent positions at 50?

My knowledge comes mainly from dialogue with the MoE, and occasionally Immigration, not from forums.

If anyone here really believes online teaching is legal, all they have to do is notify the MoE, Immigration, and Labour Office of what they're planning to do, good luck!

On 7/23/2018 at 10:58 PM, Andrew108 said:

Thanks all for the encouraging replies. Very helpful. Can’t wait until next year!

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew,

you may find that you can get a job with your existing credentials, even in a Gulf state. Months without income... Then good luck getting top Dollars because of that Celta and future Delta!! (Sarcasm off).

Wish you luck - but there has been a race to the bottom, when it comes to cutting costs.

11 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

My knowledge comes mainly from dialogue with the MoE, and occasionally Immigration, not from forums.

If anyone here really believes online teaching is legal, all they have to do is notify the MoE, Immigration, and Labour Office of what they're planning to do, good luck!

And there are immigration officers in Thailand and representatives of  department of labour that have said it is not illegal. A grey area.

And there are immigration officers in Thailand and representatives of  department of labour that have said it is not illegal. A grey area.

I don’t doubt it, but like they say,words are cheap. It should be documented then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, onlycw said:

Andrew,

you may find that you can get a job with your existing credentials, even in a Gulf state. Months without income... Then good luck getting top Dollars because of that Celta and future Delta!! (Sarcasm off).

Wish you luck - but there has been a race to the bottom, when it comes to cutting costs.

I’m not sure what you mean? I guess you mean that Gulf states are no longer paying high salaries? If so then yeah S.A wouldn’t be such an attractive destination. In any case I would still want to do the Delta. 

2 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

No doubt that at the moment it is illegal, but if you are teaching online from your own apartment then I doubt anyone would really know about it. There was a case where a group of online teachers got caught in Chiang Mai, but they were working as a group in a rented office building. 

Caveat emptor and all that. 

There was a case where a group of online teachers got caught in Chiang Mai, but they were working as a group in a rented office building. 

Yes, and as far as I recall from the news article, they were all released without charge when the immigration officers realised that they were teaching overseas students online.

But nothing is set in stone.  It would be nice if the legality of online work was definitively clarified by the right person who has the authority to make such a clarification.

• 1 month later...

I’ve decided to not teach in Thailand. Instead I’ll be heading to China. I’ve been keeping a watch on a few Facebook groups and I’m surprised by 1. The low salaries on offer and 2. The indifference many NES teachers show towards the teaching profession.

What I mean by this last comment is that I’ve read again and again that ‘It’s only Thailand. You don’t need to be qualified.’ And frankly this annoys me. In China, at least the ESL market is large enough to reward the best teachers. I get the feeling that the same doesn’t happen in Thailand. 

Archived