BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Skeletal remains found in Pai jungle - believed to be Aussie missing since May

Skeletal remains found in Pai jungle - believed to be Aussie missing since May

news24.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Skeletal remains found deep in the jungle of Pai, Mae Hong Sorn, are believed to be those of a 63 year old Australian man missing since May.

Pai police are as yet unsure whether the Aussie died from an accident or killed himself.

Foul play was not mentioned in the Sanook report from the weekend.

A man out foraging in the Mae Hee sub-district found the skull and scattered bones and alerted police.

Nearby hanging on a tree they found a black shoulder bag with the passport of Philip Keith Watson.

He had been reported missing in May when he did not return to his guest house.

On June 13th a search operation also failed to find him.

Pai station chief Pol Col Saman Jitbun said the body was being sent for autopsy and DNA tests.

He said it was not possible at this stage to say whether Mr Watson died from an accident or took his own life.

The Australian embassy has been informed.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-23

RIP Digger, hope they find the cause and sort it if needed

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said it was not possible at this stage to say whether Mr Watson died from an accident or took his own life.

Then one would fairly assume that it is neither, at this stage, possible to say that he wasn´t murdered.

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Then one would fairly assume that it is neither, at this stage, possible to say that he wasn´t murdered.

Or natural causes like heart attack, but never fear, the outcome will be whatever suits the authorities -and don't hold your breath waiting to hear what that will be. 

i just cant picture a 63yr old guy wondering around in the jungle. Their wouldnt be too many scavanging old aussies doing so surely. I dont have high hopes for a proper investigation but fingers crossed..

RIP

17 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

i just cant picture a 63yr old guy wondering around in the jungle. Their wouldnt be too many scavanging old aussies doing so surely. I dont have high hopes for a proper investigation but fingers crossed..

RIP

It's good you don't have (high hopes) otherwise you would be greatly disappointed. 

As for tracking around in the jungle, I did extensively in my late 50's until my mid 60's, I would do it now except my knees protest too much. 

20 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Skeletal remains ?  after 2 months ?  is that normal ?

I found this online:  "Ambient temperature and (to a lesser extent) moisture are the key "taphonomic" variables affecting the decay process, in part because they determine such other factors as entomological and bacterial activity, plants and fungi, etc. The presence of vertebrate scavengers, as well as perimortem trauma to the body, may also contribute to a quicker, premature, or irregular process. Long story short, it's very likely the soft-tissue would be largely gone after two or, at the most, three weeks, and (somewhat) feasible it could happen as rapidly as three or four days. As the saying goes, "the rainforest feeds upon itself."

20 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Skeletal remains ?  after 2 months ?  is that normal ?

Jungles here are like stewing pots with all the insects and other larger scavengers that are about. Humidity in there will also help with the decomposing process.

2 hours ago, Nickthegreek said:

its the scattered bones, how did he manage that 

In this country a sure sign of suicide.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Murder mystery!

2nd comment in and CSI Thaivisa's finest is already close to solving the case.

36 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

its the scattered bones, how did he manage that 

Probably didn't scatter his own bones I reckon.

Lots of beasties out there will do that.

Die at home with your couple of pet cats and if no-one knows about it your cats will start the process after a few days.

Edit.

They start with the easiest soft parts so make sure you go with your pants on.