Skeletal remains found in Pai jungle - believed to be Aussie missing since May

webfact

Skeletal remains found in Pai jungle - believed to be Aussie missing since May

news24.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Skeletal remains found deep in the jungle of Pai, Mae Hong Sorn, are believed to be those of a 63 year old Australian man missing since May.

Pai police are as yet unsure whether the Aussie died from an accident or killed himself.

Foul play was not mentioned in the Sanook report from the weekend.

A man out foraging in the Mae Hee sub-district found the skull and scattered bones and alerted police.

Nearby hanging on a tree they found a black shoulder bag with the passport of Philip Keith Watson.

He had been reported missing in May when he did not return to his guest house.

On June 13th a search operation also failed to find him.

Pai station chief Pol Col Saman Jitbun said the body was being sent for autopsy and DNA tests.

He said it was not possible at this stage to say whether Mr Watson died from an accident or took his own life.

The Australian embassy has been informed.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-23

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said it was not possible at this stage to say whether Mr Watson died from an accident or took his own life.

Then one would fairly assume that it is neither, at this stage, possible to say that he wasn´t murdered.

15 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Then one would fairly assume that it is neither, at this stage, possible to say that he wasn´t murdered.

Or natural causes like heart attack, but never fear, the outcome will be whatever suits the authorities -and don't hold your breath waiting to hear what that will be. 

17 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

i just cant picture a 63yr old guy wondering around in the jungle. Their wouldnt be too many scavanging old aussies doing so surely. I dont have high hopes for a proper investigation but fingers crossed..

RIP

It's good you don't have (high hopes) otherwise you would be greatly disappointed. 

As for tracking around in the jungle, I did extensively in my late 50's until my mid 60's, I would do it now except my knees protest too much. 

20 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Skeletal remains ?  after 2 months ?  is that normal ?

I found this online:  "Ambient temperature and (to a lesser extent) moisture are the key "taphonomic" variables affecting the decay process, in part because they determine such other factors as entomological and bacterial activity, plants and fungi, etc. The presence of vertebrate scavengers, as well as perimortem trauma to the body, may also contribute to a quicker, premature, or irregular process. Long story short, it's very likely the soft-tissue would be largely gone after two or, at the most, three weeks, and (somewhat) feasible it could happen as rapidly as three or four days. As the saying goes, "the rainforest feeds upon itself."

20 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Skeletal remains ?  after 2 months ?  is that normal ?

Jungles here are like stewing pots with all the insects and other larger scavengers that are about. Humidity in there will also help with the decomposing process.

8 hours ago, Get Real said:

Murder mystery!

2nd comment in and CSI Thaivisa's finest is already close to solving the case.

36 minutes ago, Nickthegreek said:

its the scattered bones, how did he manage that 

Probably didn't scatter his own bones I reckon.

Lots of beasties out there will do that.

Die at home with your couple of pet cats and if no-one knows about it your cats will start the process after a few days.

Edit.

They start with the easiest soft parts so make sure you go with your pants on.

48 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Murder mystery!

What an utterly stupid remark. What has it to do with CSI and investigation? I was just surprised over that it looked like they took the murder out of the equation without really knowing anything.
You want to continue with these stupid remarks, go on and bug somebody else.

56 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

Murder mystery!

If he was my brother, I'd want an investigation that lasted beyond the 24 hour news cycle. 

There may also be significant economic implications regarding inheritance, insurance payouts, etc. that hinge on the mode of his demise.

Edit:  and on another note, I'l close to that age, and you will occasionally find me scrounging around in the deep woods with a metal detector.  I limit it to the boondocks for fear of getting grassed up if someone sees a foreigner with a metal detector.

I already know the outcome. It was a balcony accident, wasn't it? Rest in peace, young man. Let's hope that they find out what happened to you.

Of course, do many people fly to Thailand, go on a trekking tour and commit suicide. What utter rubbish. 

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

If he was my brother, I'd want an investigation that lasted beyond the 24 hour news cycle. 

There may also be significant economic implications regarding inheritance, insurance payouts, etc. that hinge on the mode of his demise.

Edit:  and on another note, I'l close to that age, and you will occasionally find me scrounging around in the deep woods with a metal detector.  I limit it to the boondocks for fear of getting grassed up if someone sees a foreigner with a metal detector.

The cooling chambers in Pai are usually filled with bodies of foreigners. It's not a secret that some of them died overdosed, heroin is easy to buy at the waterfall.

But none of them died of drugs, it's always a heart attack, a stroke, etc...you can't die of something that doesn't exist, can you? 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Strange , why did they not  mention  murder ?

There are three ways a man can die: Accident, suicide or murder. 

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Probably didn't scatter his own bones I reckon.

Lots of beasties out there will do that.

Die at home with your couple of pet cats and if no-one knows about it your cats will start the process after a few days.

Edit.

They start with the easiest soft parts so make sure you go with your pants on.

What a life you must of had.

4 hours ago, JulieM said:

I found this online:  "Ambient temperature and (to a lesser extent) moisture are the key "taphonomic" variables affecting the decay process, in part because they determine such other factors as entomological and bacterial activity, plants and fungi, etc. The presence of vertebrate scavengers, as well as perimortem trauma to the body, may also contribute to a quicker, premature, or irregular process. Long story short, it's very likely the soft-tissue would be largely gone after two or, at the most, three weeks, and (somewhat) feasible it could happen as rapidly as three or four days. As the saying goes, "the rainforest feeds upon itself."

Complete opposite of decomposition in an arid desert environment I guess. I saw some of the mummified skeletons in the Peruvian desert, still partly preserved after hundreds of years. 

13 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Complete opposite of decomposition in an arid desert environment I guess. I saw some of the mummified skeletons in the Peruvian desert, still partly preserved after hundreds of years. 

Yep, if you die alone at home make sure you open the windows and switch off the heating especially in UK.

I (and about 100 other people) watched the police pull body parts out of Klong San Saep yesterday (Sunday, July 22) in Bangkapi about 200 meters north of the mall Bangkapi.  Nothing about it I can find on Thai Visa.  Just wondering why some things get reported while other don't.    

2 minutes ago, TomJoad said:

I (and about 100 other people) watched the police pull body parts out of Klong San Saep yesterday (Sunday, July 22) in Bangkapi about 200 meters north of the mall Bangkapi.  Nothing about it I can find on Thai Visa.  Just wondering why some things get reported while other don't.    

There is a report about a body in a canal a couple of days ago somewhere on TV.

Archived