Most Dangerous Area(s) of Bangkok

utalkin2me

What would you guys consider to be the most dangerous area or neighborhood in Bangkok? When I say danger, I mean you get out of a cab late at night and are not or do not feel safe. 

Thanks for any input! And I do not mean any of the "red light sois", or whatever they would be called, or any tourist areas like Khao San Road. I mean dangeous Thai neighborhoods. Thanks! 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think , on the whole, Bangkok is a pretty safe city as far as street robbery is concerned: road traffic accident risk is another story!

i have lived here for a decade or so and never found myself in a threatening situation, or ever felt any concern walking around . 

I have heard however, that some of the more  remote areas of the city eg deep in the sois off Rama 2 (other side of the river) can be somewhat risky. 

i don't know all of bangkok, it is huge and bewildering.  but trouble spots i have found are:

1.   sukumvit near asoke.  last time i was there , which was admittedly several years ago,  there was an area under the overpass with highly trained pickpocket children.  they had teenage girls at either end of the trap zone acting as spotters , and violent looking goons lurking in the shadows. 

2.   lower sukumvit.  from soi 11 down to soi 3, i would say.  transvestite pickpockets, some operating in packs,  some huge, who come out and grab you in a bear hug whilst trying to pick your pocket.  lots of nigerian and other west african criminals, selling drugs or looking for victims.   

24 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

i don't know all of bangkok, it is huge and bewildering.  but trouble spots i have found are:

1.   sukumvit near asoke.  last time i was there , which was admittedly several years ago,  there was an area under the overpass with highly trained pickpocket children.  they had teenage girls at either end of the trap zone acting as spotters , and violent looking goons lurking in the shadows. 

2.   lower sukumvit.  from soi 11 down to soi 3, i would say.  transvestite pickpockets, some operating in packs,  some huge, who come out and grab you in a bear hug whilst trying to pick your pocket.  lots of nigerian and other west african criminals, selling drugs or looking for victims.   

The police cleared out the teenage and child pickpockets from the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit probably ten years ago, but I remember it well. I used to just clutch my pocket and motor on through and they’d more or less leave me alone.

To answer the OP, certain parts of The periphery of Chinatown can get a bit weird in the evening.

haha at you guys, crime happens all the time in bangkok. but nothing area or location threatening like what we experience in the west. in the west, we have areas that are bad. in bkk, all classes just mixes in, so no such thing as a bad area in bangkok. 

if there is such a bad area, a wealthy person would just buy it out and build a high rise condo there and live with the bad people area. 

I have always felt safe everywhere in Bangkok... I had a GF who lived in the slums in Kloeng Toey and though safe during the day, I would not feel comfortable there at night... but, I can't imagine a reason you might want to go there... 

I have always felt safe everywhere in Bangkok... I had a GF who lived in the slums in Kloeng Toey and though safe during the day, I would not feel comfortable there at night... but, I can't imagine a reason you might want to go there... 

The smell around Klong Toey with the market nearby is enough to keep anyone away from the area aside from the crime

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Been living here for over 30 years, the most "dangerous" place that I ever thought was khlong toei just because many drugs were dealt there and many druggies live there as well, but majority of the folks never set foot there anyways. I can't think of any other place that is remotely dangerous.

With Thais being smaller stature, I never felt threaten even though some may look suspicious compare to being in the US or Europe.

40 minutes ago, milwaukeeboy said:

I read a few years ago that the area around Lad Prao Road about halfway between the Mall Bangkapi and Central Lad Prao is the highest crime area in Bangkok.

a few cases of motorcycle pickpockets around there

Probably more important than the area where you live, is that you live in a secure building or gated community that has security guards and secure access to the building(s) and property. Home burglaries and petty crime can be a problem.

42 minutes ago, milwaukeeboy said:

I read a few years ago that the area around Lad Prao Road about halfway between the Mall Bangkapi and Central Lad Prao is the highest crime area in Bangkok.

Chok chai I believe..it can get a little hairy. I talked to a cop the other day and towards ramkhamhaeng as well. 

In 2013 police published a list of 10 areas considered most dangerous.

As I have close to zero knowledge about Bangkok I just throw the link here for discussion.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/03/bangkoks-most-dangerous-areas-for-crime/

1. Soi Lat Phrao 101
2. Soi Lat Phrao 107
3. Soi Sukhumvit 105
4. Soi Phaholyothin 52
5. Soi Suphaphong
6. Soi On Nut (44?)
7. Soi Chalermprakiat 14
8. Victory Monument
9. Sanam Luang
10. Ramintra Market

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Other than walking around the Klongtoey slums (and maybe this is exaggerated), Bangkok is far safer than most western cities, unless you behave like an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed after over 25 years here Klong Toey is the only area that really makes me feel uncomfortable at night. Otherwise it is like any other city, depends upon what you are doing and expecting, if you are looking for drugs etc. then you have to accept the consequences of your actions. 

3 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

What a load of BS

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Other than walking around the Klongtoey slums (and maybe this is exaggerated), Bangkok is far safer than most western cities, unless you behave like an idiot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

as you say it all boils down on how you behave, behave like a nob , expect the worse, same anywhere

There are no dangerous places to speak of if you use a little bit of thought and act accordingly. You go down a long, quiet road at 3am then there is a chance of being mugged just like a similar situation anywhere in the world. Same if you are in a bar showing loads of gold or cash. Use your head and you wont have a problem, at least that is my experience of 34 years in Thailand

5 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I live on the fringe of the slum and unfortunately many times I have to walk through there at night. Which seems dangerous but I'm alive and have never been accosted. Mind you this experience would be completely different if I was an Asian woman. The only place I'm warned by Thais not to venture is at the end of Sukhumvit soi 50 just before you reach the port there's a area underneath Chalerm mahanakon expressway which is shortcut that leads to the Klong Toei pump station and the Klong itself. I watched a makeshift fight club/ Muay Thai fights one afternoon and was pointedly told to never go back in there again. It's pretty grim. Adjacent to almost every vocational school tends to be rough because of the demographics. Bangkok is a safe city for us because we're somewhat protected. If we were Thai our perspective would be much different. 

Lower Sukhumwit 2 Ladyboys will grab you , never engage with ladyboys, had a friend robbed by two of them, curiously he brought them back to his apt in phra kanong , he might have been drugged. 

Petchaburi Town apparently has a lot of homicides, I've heard

Archived