New sim card package - Help

I’m arriving into BKK on Thursday to start a new job. I need a new number straight away but a package I can wait on, if bank accounts or anything is needed. 

Can I just get a simple sim first and add the package later? 

If not, what is the best sim deal out there, I am looking for good data specifically.  I am not worried about calls or texts as I mostly use Whatsapp.

Please guys, if anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction. Thanks. 

Nothing other than a passport is needed for a prepay SIM.

SIM cost no more than 49 baht.

Unlimited data package, bandwidth limited to 1 Mbps, over six months costs 600 baht in total with AIS. 

Unlimited data package, bandwidth limited to 4 Mbps, over six months costs 1400 baht with AIS. 

Unlimited data package, bandwidth limited to 6 Mbps, over six months costs 1800 baht with AIS. 

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Nothing other than a passport is needed for a prepay SIM.

SIM cost no more than 49 baht.

Unlimited data package, bandwidth limited to 1 Mbps, over six months costs 600 baht in total with AIS. 

Unlimited data package, bandwidth limited to 4 Mbps, over six months costs 1400 baht with AIS. 

Unlimited data package, bandwidth limited to 6 Mbps, over six months costs 1800 baht with AIS. 

Are they deals for only internet with zero texts or calls?

Which one would be most common  to purchase? I’m not hugley clued up on Mbps needed. 

1 Mbps is fine for general browsing and Apps. 4 Mbps if you like YouTube. 6 Mbps if you like to stream HD video. 

SIM Marathon 1 Mbps;

Unlimited Internet access at 1 Mbps for 6/12 months
Free calls to AIS network 24 hours (Limited time and 1 hour). Over 1 hour charge 1 baht per minute.
Call to other networks for the first minute 1 baht, the next 1.5 satang per second.
SMS service fee is 2 baht, MMS message is 3 baht.
After 6/12 months, customers will be charged as follows:
- Call rates are 99 satang every 24 hours.
- Internet based on actual usage MB 2 baht
- SMS 3 baht / MMS message each message 4 baht
Service charge is not included VAT 7%

I have good results with AIS. Same number for five years. I have driven all over Thailand using GPS google maps. Good coverage.

You don't need to worry about your "package" which is also called a promotion in Thailand when you buy your SIM. SIMs cost 49 baht BUT at the airport or tourist traps or big malls you can pay up to 150 baht. You will need your passport. I have done it with my Thai drivers license.

You can select or change your "promotion" at anytime. my "promotion" cost 599 baht, but cellphone providers in Thailand don't tell you about the total cost which is 7% more for tax. 

For AIS call 1175 after you get your SIM. At voice prompt select #2 for "English"

Then select 0 for operator. They speak perfect English at AIS.

tell them you want all your texts from AIS sent in English.

tell them you want all spam text stopped.

the best way to select a package is to look at the AIS website. Log on with your phone number. you will get a OTP in a SMS message.

I lost my phone once with AIS SIM linked to bank accounts. 30 minutes later at AIS office I had a new SIM with the same number. ?

Many different ways to prepay or "top up" your SIM.

And pick a lucky phone number, you will need it crossing the street. :cheesy:

Thanks guys. Are these prices per month? 
I think by having condo internet ( where  I watch most videos)  I won’t need the stronger Mbps for the phone. 
If your condo internet isn't 100% reliable, you can use your AIS sim hotspot, i do this. Strangely, sometimes my 4mbps sim seems better than 12mbps wifi from my condo

On 7/24/2018 at 10:31 PM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Thanks guys. Are these prices per month? 

I think by having condo internet ( where  I watch most videos)  I won’t need the stronger Mbps for the phone. 

No. packages in #2 are per six months.

Archived