application to extend permission of stay - O Non Imm

Good Day

Just wanted to pass on my experience yesterday at Hua Hin immigration where I applied to extend my permission to stay based on marriage. I've extended my permission many times in  (Krabi and Hua Hin)  the last 15 years so I've seen the changes in procedures as Thai immigration evolves. Arrived at the office at 09:30 and by 09:40 my number had been called (best time of the year for application ). By 10:10 my paperwork had been reviewed, signed up and stamped and forwarded to the supervising officer. Sat down and waited 10 minutes till I heard my name called and was handed back my passport with the under review stamp affixed. The officer told us that a picture of him with us in our condo was required (this was a first for me). At 5:00 pm he called us to say he was on his way and we asked our building security to come and take our picture, the three of us in my condo and outside our door plus in front of our condo building (similar to what we already provided  for the application except those shots were of just the two of us). 10 minutes tops and it was all over. Since my wife and I have done this many times before the paperwork was in order (kudos to her), which negated any hiccups. Also at her urging I wore a yellow shirt (government workers all wearing yellow to honor the new King) which I have no problem with to show respect to the country of which I am a guest. Over the years I've found that it's the seemingly insignificant things that make life easier here as smiling, speaking softly and politely, observing long time tradition and showing respect to people who have the power to make your life miserable if they choose to do. I was impressed with the officers professionalism (I've seen the other side too) and efficiency. I've read in TV over the years the immigration horror stories and witnessed people lose it in offices essentially cutting their own throats. If your paperwork is correct and you show a little respect it can go a long way.

• Like 1