Id requirements for Thai pink card?

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Most Amphurs automatically issue the pink ID card immediately after issuing  your Yellow house book.

You shouldn't need any more than your passport and Yellow house book to obtain the ID card.

A digital photo and thumbprint are required for the process, which they do in the office.

Some report a small charge, in my case it was free, other than 10 baht for a protective plastic cover.

You shouldn't need a witness just for the ID card.

Yes thats right, in my case the yellow book took a couple of weeks and a couple of visits, witness etc, the pink ID was a 5 minute process after showing yellow book. Also they will ask your blood group.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I had a yellow book for ages , nobody ever mentioned a pink i.d. card till I read about it on here.

When they amended the Civil Registration Act in 2008 allowing foreigners to register and obtain a Yellow House book, most Amphurs were not equipped with a camera, fingerprint scanner, or the software to produce the ID cards.

It took a couple of years to even stock the Yellow books in some cases, even longer for the ID cards.

Locally, some of the more senior expats obtained a Yellow house book several years ago, but the Amphur didn't have the stock, or equipment to issue the ID cards until about 5 years ago. TIT.

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Also they will ask your blood group.

Correct, thanks for the reminder.

I believe they are a biometric card, same as the Thais ID card, containing not only your personal details, but thumbprint recognition and blood group, which in the event of a major accident could save your life.

21 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

When they amended the Civil Registration Act in 2008 allowing foreigners to register and obtain a Yellow House book, most Amphurs were not equipped with a camera, fingerprint scanner, or the software to produce the ID cards.

It took a couple of years to even stock the Yellow books in some cases, even longer for the ID cards.

Locally, some of the more senior expats obtained a Yellow house book several years ago, but the Amphur didn't have the stock, or equipment to issue the ID cards until about 5 years ago. TIT.

I think this is partly right, In pattaya its the same department that is doing all the normal Thai IDs so they have cameras, scanner etc but they do the actual printing of Pink IDs after 2pm.

I presume this has to do with loading up the printer/laminator with pink ID templates, different software etc.

11 minutes ago, moontang said:

no chip in pink card.  They figured that would be unnecessary as they will soon require foreigners to have them implanted.

Actually your correct, it isn't a biometric ID card.

I now recall the Amphur told me that any government department, police or hospital, could access the database using your registration ID number to find your blood group or a thumbprint scan for ID confirmation.

The system must work because recently an expat had a serious accident and required a blood transfusion.

He was unconscious but had his ID card on his person. The hospital had the blood ready and waiting when he arrived in the Ambulance.

He actually had a rare blood group (B negative) and required further transfusions.

The Police were actually doing there rounds amongst the popular bars requesting anyone with the same blood group to donate as the hospital had very little supply of this type.

implanted and the idiots in brown will have a scanner,

my amphur is in suwannaphum roiet and it took about a mouth to get my yellow book (gold  i think that is what she thought they were made of) that was about the same time they were getting there id cards in roiet well a mate of mine had taken a photo of one with his phone to show in our office, well did that start a chain of events,the hold office went mad ,where did you get that ,they scanned it onto there computer  we were told to come back later as they were looking into it, i still dont know if he got one as i went back to aus and a bit later he pass away 

Pink id cards for farangs are not biometric, Thai id cards are farangs are not.

I recently got my pink id card, because going to the hospital every 3 weeks my wife was told i needed 1.

So got 1 went to hospital lady swiped the card, it does not work she says.

Now being covered by my wifes health insurance, hospital are demanding id card, as since the 1st of may, all patients at the hospital have to produce id card to be swiped.

Fortunately they accept my yellow book number and have to input it manually.-

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Actually your correct, it isn't a biometric ID card.

I now recall the Amphur told me that any government department, police or hospital, could access the database using your registration ID number to find your blood group or a thumbprint scan for ID confirmation.

The system must work because recently an expat had a serious accident and required a blood transfusion.

He was unconscious but had his ID card on his person. The hospital had the blood ready and waiting when he arrived in the Ambulance.

He actually had a rare blood group (B negative) and required further transfusions.

The Police were actually doing there rounds amongst the popular bars requesting anyone with the same blood group to donate as the hospital had very little supply of this type.

with the blood group that sounds like it is worth while have one

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Pink id cards for farangs are not biometric, Thai id cards are farangs are not.

I recently got my pink id card, because going to the hospital every 3 weeks my wife was told i needed 1.

So got 1 went to hospital lady swiped the card, it does not work she says.

Now being covered by my wifes health insurance, hospital are demanding id card, as since the 1st of may, all patients at the hospital have to produce id card to be swiped.

Fortunately they accept my yellow book number and have to input it manually.-

Your Yellow house book (registration number) is also transferred onto your ID card.

You have to get the book before being issued the card.

You can't swipe the pink ID card for information, but they should input your ID number from the card, it's the same as the book.

At my local government hospital when I registered with my ID card, they issued a separate card with a the letters HN followed by a number and barcode, ( I assume HN stands for Hospital number) which can be swiped to obtain my details.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ba ba said:

implanted and the idiots in brown will have a scanner,

my amphur is in suwannaphum roiet and it took about a mouth to get my yellow book (gold  i think that is what she thought they were made of) that was about the same time they were getting there id cards in roiet well a mate of mine had taken a photo of one with his phone to show in our office, well did that start a chain of events,the hold office went mad ,where did you get that ,they scanned it onto there computer  we were told to come back later as they were looking into it, i still dont know if he got one as i went back to aus and a bit later he pass away 

Suwannaphum is known for being a difficult Amphur to deal with in Roi Et.

The District officer makes up his own rules regardless of the rules in other Roi Et districts, which are more or less standardised.

One expat friend was told he must be married to a Thai to obtain a Yellow house book.

He and his g/f did later marry and returned to the Amphur, where he now insisted he must own a house.

pink does have a magnetic strip on the back...

I have yellow and pink from the North.  When I sold, I went to tessaban with new owner...gave her blue book.  I did not know my new address at the time.  now, three months later I bought a place near bkk....I have the blue...Will they update my yellow?  The guy at CM tried to keep it, then gave it b ack, but would really like to avoid any co ntact with them.  Any clues..???  And yes, it was a total pain in the arse to do then, but it seems to be the keys to the Kingdom for banks and brokerage..especially without a WP, which always seems to be their first words...even the clown security guard issuing queue numbers at yellow bank asked me...as I was simply getting ready to change address..already had an account, but maybe I look too young..but I have to point out EMPLOYMENT Prohibited on my long stay visa.

Edited by moontang

7 minutes ago, moontang said:

I have yellow and pink from the North.  When I sold, I went to tessaban with new owner...gave her blue book.  I did not know my new address at the time.  now, three months later I bought a place near bkk....I have the blue...Will they update my yellow?  The guy at CM tried to keep it, then gave it b ack, but would really like to avoid any co ntact with them.  Any clues..???  And yes, it was a total pain in the arse to do then, but it seems to be the keys to the Kingdom for banks and brokerage..especially without a WP, which always seems to be their first words...even the clown security guard issuing queue numbers at yellow bank asked me...as I was simply getting ready to change address..already had an account, but maybe I look too young..but I have to point out EMPLOYMENT Prohibited on my long stay visa.

Yes it maybe have a magnetic strip but it is not biometric, there is a difference. AND THAT IS IT IS NOT CHIPPED.

6 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes it maybe have a magnetic strip but it is not biometric, there is a difference. AND THAT IS IT IS NOT CHIPPED.

yes I stated that there was no chip, however you could have a biometric system with the magnetic strip.  The strip could serve as a pointer to where the actual fingerprint, voice, etc. is stored.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Wouldn't matter in my local bank. If they wheeled you in on a gurney with a drip in your arm when you were 85 years old they would still ask for a WP.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Unfortunately there is a laid down procedure to follow in order to transfer your registration to a new book, even a Yellow book.

The guy at CM, if that was where you registered was correct in wanting your Yellow book.

Your supposed to surrender it and the Amphur complete a form to hand to the Amphur in your new location, so they can register and issue the Yellow book locally.

Another Amphur in a different Province cannot register and issue a new book whilst your still registered and holding a book in a different Province. Same rule as for the Thais, you can only be registered in one book.

Copy of the relevant form attached;

Tabian Baan Form..JPG

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Most Amphurs automatically issue the pink ID card immediately after issuing  your Yellow house book.

You shouldn't need any more than your passport and Yellow house book to obtain the ID card.

A digital photo and thumbprint are required for the process, which they do in the office.

Some report a small charge, in my case it was free, other than 10 baht for a protective plastic cover.

You shouldn't need a witness just for the ID card.

Twenty Baht plus 10 for the cover in CM. when I got mine, maybe 3 years ago.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Unfortunately there is a laid down procedure to follow in order to transfer your registration to a new book, even a Yellow book.

The guy at CM, if that was where you registered was correct in wanting your Yellow book.

Your supposed to surrender it and the Amphur complete a form to hand to the Amphur in your new location, so they can register and issue the Yellow book locally.

Another Amphur in a different Province cannot register and issue a new book whilst your still registered and holding a book in a different Province. Same rule as for the Thais, you can only be registered in one book.

Copy of the relevant form attached;

Tabian Baan Form..JPG

how come I still have the old yellow?  Sold the place and reported to the tesaban with the new owner, whose name was put in the blue book

Edited by moontang

16 hours ago, moontang said:

how come I still have the old yellow?  Sold the place and reported to the tesaban with the new owner, whose name was put in the blue book

Because you insisted on keeping it and the guy obviously didn't want a confrontation.

You can bet he removed you from the register in CM though.

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Because you insisted on keeping it and the guy obviously didn't want a confrontation.

You can bet he removed you from the register in CM though.

three months later they were still showing my info on their computer, when they searched by number....so if they removed me, then can I avoid further contact with them in CM?  Would it be easier, just to start from scratch here, with just the number on my pink ID?  BTW, I wasn't being confrontational with the guy, and my buyer speaks decent English and is married to a ranking policeman.  My understanding there was a cancellation process, but it required a new address....which I didn't have, and that just didn't compute.

And why are there many blank pages in the YellowBook, if it is a one off thing, if you use it once and turn it in?  Does it stay with the home or  the  original owner?  So does my old yellow, belong with the new owner, in case she sells to a foreigner, or should I have it? or should it be in the shredder at the tesaban?

Edited by moontang

40 minutes ago, moontang said:

three months later they were still showing my info on their computer, when they searched by number....so if they removed me, then can I avoid further contact with them in CM?  Would it be easier, just to start from scratch here, with just the number on my pink ID?  BTW, I wasn't being confrontational with the guy, and my buyer speaks decent English and is married to a ranking policeman.  My understanding there was a cancellation process, but it required a new address....which I didn't have, and that just didn't compute.

If you are indeed still registered in CM, I think you'll find the Amphur in your new location will tell you to follow the procedure I outlined, that is return your Yellow book and the Amphur in CM will complete the form I posted for you to take to your new Amphur, who will register your new address and issue a new Yellow book.

That was the procedure I had to follow when moving Provinces.

40 minutes ago, moontang said:

And why are there many blank pages in the YellowBook, if it is a one off thing, if you use it once and turn it in?  Does it stay with the home of the owner?  So does my old yellow, belong with the new owner, in case she sells to a foreigner, or should I have it? or should it be in the shredder at the tesaban?

Other than colour, the blue and Yellow books are identical.

The first page is for details of the address.

The remaining pages are to list the people registered at that address.

The book stays with the house for life, only the people registered as living there changes in the book.

Only one Blue book is issued per address, but Thais can be added or removed by request.

Only one Yellow book is issued per address (denoting foreigner) and I find nothing in the law that prevents other foreigners living at the same address also being added to the Yellow book.

By rights the old Amphur in CM should keep the Yellow book in case your previous landlord rents to another foreigner who also wants a Yellow book. In practice they'll probably shred it and issue a new book if another foreigner registers at that address.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2018 at 9:27 AM, Tanoshi said:

Correct, thanks for the reminder.

I believe they are a biometric card, same as the Thais ID card, containing not only your personal details, but thumbprint recognition and blood group, which in the event of a major accident could save your life.

No hospital should ever rely on blood group information on an ID card, especially if it is based on them just asking you what your blood group is. If for whatever reason, the blood group info is wrong and they rely on it, giving you the wrong blood type could kill you.

Any properly-run hospital "will test your blood to determine your blood type. A small sample will be cross-matched with some of your donated blood. The two samples of blood are then mixed and watched for a reaction. This allows your doctor to be certain an incompatibility reaction won’t take place." 

The link below is about an incident in the UK where a nurse killed a patient by giving them the wrong blood type.

Nurse convicted for killing patient by giving wrong blood type