Kitchen food processors in Thailand

tebee

Can you get food processors here ? Want one for doing coleslaw in particular as my stepson has developed a passion for it.

Looked in my local Makro and Big C but they don't seem to have any.   

For coleslaw all you need is a Vegetable Shredder Rotary Grater Slicer like the one in the link below.  I have one and it works very well. 

Slicer blade for cabbage, large shredder blade for carrots.

The fine grater blade is great for cheese or nuts.

Lazada will deliver to your door.  Pay by credit card or COD.

Lazada - leegoal Vegetable Chopper 3-Blades Spiral Slicer, Vegetable Fruit Cutter Cheese Shredder Rotary Mixer

WARNING!  Keep your fingers out of the feeder tube - use the pusher or you may come up a bit short.

Just buy a Japanese mandolin. That's what Chefs use to make coleslaw.

If you were making large batches of 5kg or more daily then maybe a machine would be considered but that is a lot of money to spend to shred some cabbage. They are 20,000+ for decent quality.

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

that is a lot of money to spend to shred some cabbage. They are 20,000+ for decent quality.

But you can get an "indecent" quality one at Power Buy for a lot less than Baht 20K if your primary objective is to chop up some cabbage without getting bloody knuckles.

32800864_foodprocessor.png.169290ed6113c6a0ef96f74ea5c28948.png

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/russell-hobbs-เครื่องเตรียมอาหาร-750-วัตต์-รุ่น-1900556-เครื่องใช้ไฟฟ้าในครัว-235449

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

If you were making large batches of 5kg or more daily then maybe a machine would be considered but that is a lot of money to spend to shred some cabbage. They are 20,000+ for decent quality.

OK, I used one of the cheap versions of one of those before I bought my Braun  food processor  - which I only got because it was £3 new and unused in a UK charity shop. I must admit it's a lot quicker to clean the the food processor. Here I only have my wife's tool - a sort of version of it, but circular, with 4 different blades  on different sides  - it is however, very slow, takes me about 20 mins to grate a carrot.

Are the genuine Japanese versions (600-900 Baht  online ) better than the cheaper ones (300-400 Baht) ? Are they available from Makro ? 

https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-kut-Cutlery-Serrated-Food-Chopper/dp/B000XEA0SK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532541341&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cabbage+chopper&dpPl=1&dpID=31hM2pt8R9L&ref=plSrch

I made 10 kg of coleslaw quite often when I was 16 at fast food joint.  We had a sine wave looking metal chopper and just chopped. Up 4-5 cabbage heads at time in a grey food tub. I don't see one on Google but this should work plenty good.  

On 7/25/2018 at 6:10 AM, james.d said:

You could check out https://www.verasu.com/ also. They are a little more expensive, but i have used heavily a couple of their appliances for a long time without any problems.

They often have good clearance sales on items also.

Verasu no longer seem to stock the range of food processors they had a couple of years ago. Central has a decent selection but pricy!

I had the same query re: food processors in Thailand about a year ago and most respondents said not to bother and to use a good sharp knife instead...and that's what I use for cole slaw (halve and core the cabbage and slice thinly) and for daikon radish salad...use an old fashioned hand grater for shredded carrots, cheese for mac and cheese, etc...saves having to disassemble and clean a food processor after making a small amount...

most folks said that they never used the food processor after they bought it...might be different if yew were making large amounts of hummous and such like...I've managed with a cheap blender for both hummous and to make homade tahihi with sesame seeds and olive oil...but we're talkin' about small amounts, ie, one head of cabbage, one radish, one or 2 carrots, 12oz garbanzos, etc...

13 hours ago, Andrew108 said:

Does anyone make curry pastes in their blender? Do Thai people only use a pestle and mortar or is there a favoured blender?

there's plenty of prepared curry pastes at yer local fresh market (unpackaged and in bulk) and my thai family uses the mortar and pestle for anything else that they need even though there's blenders available and they usually prepare a 'gaeng' of some sort every day...myself I keep a couple of Lobo packets (usually green and masaman curry pastes) around in my kitchen for whenever the need arises...

13 hours ago, Andrew108 said:

Does anyone make curry pastes in their blender? Do Thai people only use a pestle and mortar or is there a favoured blender?

They use blenders with a bit of water added (if needed) or they buy. Some mama with a small stall somehwere might use a crock but in commercial kitchens I have worked in they just use a blender.

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've now ordered a cheap Mandolin of Ebay( I can't get Lazada to play with my Paypal account) Am still waiting for it to arrive, but when back in BKK at the weekend did finally see some Food Processors at Central at Central Pinklao. There were the only cheap two that looked worth buying. 

nncvPxZ.png

aOZDmtC.png

• 6 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 2:12 PM, tebee said:

Although I've now ordered a cheap Mandolin of Ebay( I can't get Lazada to play with my Paypal account) Am still waiting for it to arrive, but when back in BKK at the weekend did finally see some Food Processors at Central at Central Pinklao. There were the only cheap two that looked worth buying. 

nncvPxZ.png

aOZDmtC.png

Lazada is COD

On 7/25/2018 at 2:42 PM, sikishrory said:

Mandolin - not if kids are helping?

Hey tebee! Sucks that your local market doesn't have what you need. Maybe stop by healthykitchen101.com, and take your time to check out the recommended food processors for your stepson. Amazon now delivers goods globally, so rest assured that you will receive your desired processors in no time :>

On 3/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, arthursgee said:

Hey tebee! Sucks that your local market doesn't have what you need. Maybe stop by healthykitchen101.com, and take your time to check out the recommended food processors for your stepson. Amazon now delivers goods globally, so rest assured that you will receive your desired processors in no time ????

On 3/12/2019 at 2:33 PM, arthursgee said:

Hey tebee! Sucks that your local market doesn't have what you need. Maybe stop by healthykitchen101.com, and take your time to check out the recommended food processors for your stepson. Amazon now delivers goods globally, so rest assured that you will receive your desired processors in no time ????

There are many items that Amazon does not ship to Thailand.

I have a Moulinex that I bought from Lazada many years ago and it works fine.  The only thing that I don't like about it is that it doesn't have the opening where you can ad ingredients when it's running.  If I bought another one I would insure that it was capable of this.  Lazada prices are good and they have free and fast delivery usually by Kerry Express in the boonies where I live.

Archived