webfact

Mother makes suicide threat over acquittal

By JESSADA JANTARAK, 
KESINEE TANGKHIEO, 
SURIYA PATATHAYO 
THE NATION 

933bafc30d63f1744a3765807c90304d.jpeg

VOWS TO FOLLOW HUSBAND’S LEAD AND|KILL HERSELF IF VERDICT UPHELD ON APPEAL

THE WIFE of a man who committed suicide after their son’s alleged adult killer was acquitted, revealed yesterday that she tried to kill herself along with her husband and threatened to take her own life if the Appeals Court upholds the verdict. 

“If I lose the court battle again, please collect my body [for the funeral],” Rewadee Kanlahasunthorn said tearfully about the case against Nattapong Ngern-khiri. 

On Monday, Rewadee’s husband Supachai jumped to his death from the eighth floor of the Criminal Court building on Bangkok’s Ratchadapisek Road after the judge announced he would give the benefit of the doubt to Nattapong.

Nattapong had been accused of fatally stabbing Thanit on Prachasongkroh Road in Bangkok’s Din Daeng district on April 15, 2016. The other defendant in the case – who has already been tried in the Central Juvenile and Family Court due to his young age – pleaded guilty to bringing a weapon to a public place and killing Thanit. 

The distraught mother also revealed that she intended to commit suicide at the same time as her husband, but was subdued by security guards at the court.

“I have been suicidal since the death of my son. No one has really helped us with the case. My husband had to leave his job to try to gather evidence. We had done our best and we had never imagined that the court would just acquit |the defendant,” she said. 

She said her husband was quite optimistic when they went to the court together on Monday. 

“So, I didn’t think that he would jump from the building. He told me he would go to the toilet,” Rewadee said. 

“Then, I heard someone had jumped,” Rewadee said. “It turns out to be my husband.” 

Rewadee yesterday collected her husband’s body from the Institute of Forensic Medicine.

Nattapong is described as the son of a wealthy, locally-influential family. Rewadee said “witnesses are afraid” to come forward. 

The only witness who told police he saw the killing has suffered brain injuries in a road accident and is unable to appear in court to testify. This contributed to Nattapong’s acquittal.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Chanthep Sesavej has set up a panel to examine the case, headed by his deputy Pol Maj General Sompong Chingduang.

“This panel will also re-investigate the crime and gather evidence as best as it can. We will consult the court too about what additional evidence we should seek,” Chanthep said. 

He said police had found recordings that showed the victim had engaged in a fistfight at the mouth of a soi. “But the fatal stabbing took place at another spot in the soi later and there are still no recordings on this part,” he said. 

Rewadee thanked police for their fresh efforts to gather evidence. 

“I believe that the culprits will be brought to justice if police try harder during the investigation process,” she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350742

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-25

Not because that I know the full story and if justice failed or not in this case. Just not arsed myself to look into it.

However, that´s not the point. There is not a possibility that society can accept to change a verdict just becasue a person threathens to take his or her life.

If the verdict is wrong, of course I am not positive to that but this way of behaviour is tragic.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Nattapong is described as the son of a wealthy, locally-influential family. Rewadee said “witnesses are afraid” to come forward. 

The only witness who told police he saw the killing has suffered brain injuries in a road accident and is unable to appear in court to testify. This contributed to Nattapong’s acquittal.

Gotta feel for this family.

A suggestion though, rather than take your own life, why not just stiff the two of them, guns are easy to get in Thailand, so I hear, and the best court when other courts fail you, is your own court.

Going to jail for the rest of my life to avenge one of my childrens killers would bother me in the slightest as revenge would give me that personal satisfaction, that said, I would make it a contract hit, like the convenient road accident that caused brain injuries to the only witness, oh, and I would make sure I was out of the country permanently when the hit took place, yes I know contradicting myself, but the second option would be the best option, wouldn't it 555

31 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

A suggestion though, rather than take your own life, why not just stiff the two of them, guns are easy to get in Thailand, so I hear, and the best court when other courts fail you, is your own court.

Going to jail for the rest of my life to avenge one of my childrens killers would bother me in the slightest as revenge would give me that personal satisfaction, that said, I would make it a contract hit, like the convenient road accident that caused brain injuries to the only witness, oh, and I would make sure I was out of the country permanently when the hit took place, yes I know contradicting myself, but the second option would be the best option, wouldn't it 555

If it was that easy !!!!!

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

saved me posting. my thoughts exactly thanks.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The only witness who told police he saw the killing has suffered brain injuries in a road accident and is unable to appear in court to testify.

Wonder what the cause was of the road accident.
Also remarkable that all CCTV cameras suddenly didn't work.
Money and power involved...

No 'Trial by a jury of peers' in this country, so finding justice is really based on the whims of a judge or a panel of judges.  And because social customs, 'saving face', wealth, and status play such an overarching role in decision making here in Thailand -- I'd have no illusions regarding impartiality or whether justice can actually be found here. 
Need a dose of reality about how things work here, simply keep watching that obnoxious housing development built on the deforested side of Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai.  You can watch 'Justice' dance on the side of that mountain and see exactly how her scales are permanently tipped.

RIP to both father and son.
images.jpeg.ef82163ed5938bb8a005b01d26243b83.jpeg

7 hours ago, Get Real said:

Not because that I know the full story and if justice failed or not in this case. Just not arsed myself to look into it.

However, that´s not the point. There is not a possibility that society can accept to change a verdict just becasue a person threathens to take his or her life.

If the verdict is wrong, of course I am not positive to that but this way of behaviour is tragic.

Do you know that the accused is a son of a policeman?

3 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Like I said. No, I don´t know, but that has no bearing in the case or should not have. Here there is need for a real justice system, but not one that has to be created out of people threathening to comitt suicide if the verdict is not overturned. That´s exactly samr wrong as protecting somebody just because the persons father is a policeman or of high status in the community. All of this just sends the wrong messages.

6 hours ago, Get Real said:

Like I said. No, I don´t know, but that has no bearing in the case or should not have. Here there is need for a real justice system, but not one that has to be created out of people threathening to comitt suicide if the verdict is not overturned. That´s exactly samr wrong as protecting somebody just because the persons father is a policeman or of high status in the community. All of this just sends the wrong messages.

This woman is desperate, and although I understand what you say, allow me to think that what drives her to hold this speech is her despair and her great discouragement. She just lost her son murdered and her husband committed suicide and you would like her to be balanced. You have used us to make more reasonable remarks.:wink:

PS: Senior police officers will take over the details of the investigation because they think it is possible that all the elements were not transmitted to the judge by the police which would explain the judgment, they talk a lot about that on some TV channels

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Sickening!

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Sickening. Sickening. Sickening.

13 hours ago, doremifasol said:

Ummmm..............

not ummmm......
seems to be to convenient to be coincidental.
the relatives of that person should push very hard for a real and in-depth investigation of the accident.
(or those affected by the inability to give evidence)

...like they say themselves... ***'Nattapong is described as the son of a wealthy, locally-influential family. Rewadee said “witnesses are afraid” to come forward'.... 

....so imagine what chances any foreigners would have in similar circumstances...

...and a witness ...'has suffered brain damage'....

...statements taken by police...and evidence...and circumstance...should be enough...one would think...

...but for....***

....yet they sure do move quickly against ....'others'.....(?)

19 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Please clarify this statement. To me, it is not clear. It can be taken two ways. Thank you.

19 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

Why I heard on TV the accused is the son of a policeman, not a wealthy family!

But as we all know, some policeman are very wealthy. Only the honest ones are not (wealthy).

On 7/24/2018 at 7:46 PM, 4MyEgo said:

"... why not just stiff the two of them ..."

I had a Thai boss (a government department)  and his a-hole brother who were candidates for that treatment 40 years ago.  Corrupt, threatened honest co-workers lives, that sort of thing.

Archived