Hair transplant

Cutty Shark

"Where in Mauritius ? I have seen direct flights with Air Austral to this island. "

I googled and there seem now to be 2 clinics offering hair transplants. Unfortunately I do not recognise either of them from 15 years ago. But the one I attended had a French surgeon and apparently was popular with European celebrities who could hide away in a beach resort for a week or so waiting for the first sprouts of new hair (took about 3 days in my case). They used a dedicated team of about 20 (and do NOT offer sex changes on the side).

I paid about 5,000 pounds for about 2000 follicles

Recommend you do your research as there are new techniques which are less invasive out there!

On 7/28/2018 at 2:39 AM, goegoe said:

Hello, how much did you pay ? Thanks.

85 baht/graft. Less than half what it would have cost in the States.

Actually, it was my husband. I have lots of hair. If he hadn't told me, I'd never had known, that's how good a job doctor did.

On 7/26/2018 at 4:09 AM, i Phad said:

Well, someone should have the courtesy of actually answering your question:

Damkerng Pathomvanich, MD

408/138 Phahonyotin Place Building 32nd floor,  
Phaholyothin Rd., Phayathai, Bangkok 10400  Thailand.
Tel         662-6190351 

Been nine years and still very pleased. Message me with questions.

photo

• 6 months later...
On 7/26/2018 at 9:02 AM, Lacessit said:

I don't consider I am bitter about being bald. Haircuts become very simple. Don't have to be forever shampooing to keep the hair clean. Don't have to think about someone smirking when they detect a hairpiece or transplant. Mother Nature compensates  by giving us extra testosterone.

I agree, the OP should do what he feels right for him. However, being bald is not the end of the world.

Agree all round, if the OP feels he must do it, whatever his reason then good luck to him.

After years of medium to a bit longer hair, takes too long to dry, and needs regular salon visits often nowadays quite expensive I got sick of all of that and I tried the buzzer all over with the medium setting thing, at a salon and I was very happy with the appearance and how easy it is to shampoo etc. No need for combing etc.

So I bought a buzzer home pack and my Thai son did it a couple of times, but for the last 3 or 4 years I take the cordless buzzer out into the garden with a small mirror, 10 minutes later buzzed all over, all done. Once a month. quick, free, feels great. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2018 at 5:40 AM, jvs said:

You must have sound reasons to want to do this but i can not imagine why.

I have been bald for a very long time with only a few patches left.

If i could find an affordable treatment to stop my hair from growing  would do that in an instant.Hair does not make you the person you are.

I would suggest to cut whatever you have left very short or even shave and try that for a fwe weeks.You will find out,nobody cares if you have hair or not.If there are a few who react negatively,tell them to get a life and look at their own short comings.

Be bold and go bald!!

For some it looks ok but for most its an awful look. I had reason to lose mine from cancer treatment and I never went out for 3 months until it grew back. Dreadful look on me personally. I take Finesteride to try and maintain what I have in the interim

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 3:09 PM, milwaukeeboy said:

So sad that there are few testimonials here and few real answers to the original question. I think that if you want a hair transplant, then you should give it a shot.

I started going bald in my early 20's and by the time I was about 55, I just didn't like looking at the bald guy in the mirror.

On a trip to India in late 2016 when I was 60, a very dear friend who knew me from when I was a teenager, goaded me into it at a top clinic in the Punjab and even paid for most of the cost.

I was so bald, that I didn't even think I had enough donor. I went through the procedure over 2 days and 18 hours of surgery to get over 6000 grafts transplanted for a cost of under $3000 US.

It also included, PRP (Protein Rich Plasma) injections.  The hair took hold and grows faster than it ever did. People tell me that I look 15 years younger and I feel more confident and enjoy seeing my face in the mirror so much more than for the past 3 decades. It's not a full head of hair, but it is distributed well and looks great on photos and cam chats and gives a great first impression.

Most importantly, I feel much better about myself and that's what really matters.

Can I ask a question. At your donor site did/does that all grow back as well ??  Its a question Ive wanted to ask a long time because its essentially replanting the root elsewhere ??

A little over 10 years ago I was very ill and had to take powerful medication which caused most of my hair to fall out.  It was very depressing. I looked 20 years older.

Thankfully I recovered and my hair grew back.

I think the shaved head 'baldy' look is dreadful and I understand why the OP is looking for a transplant. If I lose my hair again as i get older I'll certainly consider a transplant.

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

Can I ask a question. At your donor site did/does that all grow back as well ??  Its a question Ive wanted to ask a long time because its essentially replanting the root elsewhere ??

No, hair transplants just re-position hair follicles from the donor area to the recipient area. There is no hair regeneration taking place. Once the hair follicle is extracted it leaves behind a hairless gap in the donor area.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chivas said:

They remove a section of scalp, size depending on the number of grafts you choose. My husband's was maybe a half inch. Wider in the middle and narrower at the ends. They pull the opposing edges together and suture. Sort of like giving the back of you head a face lift as it tightens things up a bit.

Then they harvest the grafts from the slice removed. The above post is incorrect; there is no gap in the donor area. No matter how hard I look, I cannot see a scar on the back of my husband's head.

Don't listen to the bald guys on here! They are probably fat and unattractive anyway, so it would take more than hair to make a difference. They also probably can't afford it too!

Get it done, men look much better and younger with hair, plus it protects your scalp from the sun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, jvs said:

Wow,how negative!!I am bald but far from miserable and far from being down!  Like most people have i the option to get a hair transplant.Like i said before i do not need it nor want it!!!If you want it done ,go for it!!!

If something minor like this will make you happy dont think twice and do it.Do you think miserable bald people who get a hair transplant will be less miserable?They will just be miserable people with hair.

It is all about your additude and outlook towards life,we are all different.

when i see an bald guy i find him miserable. just my opinion but i guess that i am not alone.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, myshem said:

when i see an bald guy i find him miserable. just my opinion but i guess that i am not alone.

Only if he has freaky Popeye tattoos on his forearms and sporting a Chang vest that doesn't cover his shoulder hair.

16 minutes ago, HLover said:

Only if he has freaky Popeye tattoos on his forearms and sporting a Chang vest that doesn't cover his shoulder hair.

Plenty of men with full heads of hair sporting that look too.

If you are good looking you are good looking with or without hair on your head... like good looking people can wear any clothes and still look sexy.

I have a full head of hair, but I don't like its colour (mouse) and its quite course and wiry, even if I use conditioner, and as I am a biker it gets messed up under the bike helmet.   So I keep it cropped short, and sometimes shave it close all over.  I actually look better with less hair then letting it grow, so won't worry if I go bald.

There seems to be some people on here with some discrimination to bald guys.. like saying they look sad, or will be fat and lazy or poor.  That is just stupid.  There are plenty of guys with lots of hair that are fat, lazy etc, and don't look handsome.  I see some many men here with greasy hair plastered to their heads like they have not had a shower for weeks.  

Up to OP if he wants this operation.  Personally I think the cost can not be justified.  If it was cheaper then sure go for it.  Also I would be worried about any irritation / pain, and if it turned out not looking natural he would be stuck with it for ever.  

OP seems to want to do it... so hope he will post before and after photos of himself so we can see for ourselves what looks best.  

Get a wig,not on your nellie,started losing my hair at about 28,it never stopped me getting girl friends ,wives ,a good life, nothing life has been great hairy or bald,always remember a tv show 30 years ago where a load of guys blaming their crap lives on not having hair , bunch of losers.hair today gone tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Well, someone should have the courtesy of actually answering your question:

Damkerng Pathomvanich, MD
408/138 Phahonyotin Place Building 32nd floor,   Phaholyothin Rd., Phayathai, Bangkok 10400  Thailand. Tel         662-6190351    http://www.dhthairclinic.com/   Been nine years and still very pleased. Message me with questions.      

This Dr. and his team is not just best and most experienced in Thailand in my opinion but one of the best in the world ..... simply amazing ! Getting hair transplant is a game changer if you are a candidate ..... ask anyone who has had a successful one carful listening to those who have not taken the plunge [emoji41]
  • Like 1

About 4 years ago I thought about getting a hair transplant. Didn't do it then because for at least a couple of weeks the scalp will look bad and didn't want to go to the office looking like that. But this topic has got me thinking that since I'm now retired, maybe I'll get it done now.

Did a LOT of research back then and just looked at the many bookmarks I've saved. Damkerng Pathomvanich was highly recommended and here is his link: http://www.dhthairclinic.com/html/index.php?ln=en

Read up on different techniques and this site provided a lot of great info: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/forum/17-results-posted-by-leading-hair-restoration-clinics/  

Here is someone describing their experience with Dr Pong in Chiang Mai: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/39153-surgery-with-dr-suradej-pong-chiang-mai-thailand/?tab=comments#comment-350361

Last link - different clinics in Bangkok: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/search/?q=bangkok

Edited by JerseytoBKK

I was also thinking about a hair transplant, but then I discovered the wig and realized I could be a cool guy with lots of hair that looks really natural and good on me. 

So I have a collection of wigs now, this is my favorite. 

pf-1654564-447-300-300.jpg

Not sure if the Daily Wail is still blocked, if you can get to the site this is worth a look (avoid whilst eating).

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6830281/When-hair-transplants-WRONG.html

I'll just continue to age naturally. My dad was bald as a coot by 40, I still have a decent (but thinning rapidly) head full at 60.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:58 AM, dotpoom said:

I must agree with you. I am bald, couldn't care less whether other people like it or not. But, when I had hair I was a better looking man than I am today and Yes....I would rather be "good looking"...than not.

I am happy in my own skin, bald or not.....but for sure, I would prefer to have a big mop of hair.

Go for it OP if you feel the need.....better than having regrets for not giving it a try later.

Ill send you some of mine it grows  like a  rug, Dad was the same,  full thick hair at 86

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:11 AM, catman20 said:

obviously spoken by a bald man. I'd hate to be bald and most people if they could choose would NOT be bald.

I know of expats (mostly Brits) who have a full head of hair and still shave their heads. Apparently, you can't wear a Chang vest with hair.

Me, I have a full head of hair and don't wear Chang vests. Proper outcast, I am. ????

Edited by Spidey

Modern hair transplant techniquesdo work..........well it worked for me.

i was under the impression they did not work as a few celebrities tried it a few years ago with no success. maybe things have changed . 

I think many celebrity men have had hair transplants.

No way they have zero receding hairline at 40+.

Its the male equivalent of these women rightfully complaining society insists on an unreachable bar of perfection by airbrushing photos of models.

I just saw an article that even Victoria Secret photos are airbrushed to give them a narrower waist.

I completely appreciate a guy wanting to have a hair transplant and also the guy who says he is happy to be bald. A guy should do whatever makes him feel confident.

1 minute ago, ShortTimed said:

I think many celebrity men have had hair transplants.

No way they have zero receding hairline at 40+.

Its the male equivalent of these women rightfully complaining society insists on an unreachable bar of perfection.

I'd had a receding hairline, slightly, since I was in my 40s. My wife pointed out to me the other day that I no longer had a receding hairline. On close examination, it was true. No idea why, maybe Thai food, maybe dumping my muck on a more regular basis. Now 65. Works for me.

• Like 1

I'd had a receding hairline, slightly, since I was in my 40s. My wife pointed out to me the other day that I no longer had a receding hairline. On close examination, it was true. No idea why, maybe Thai food, maybe dumping my muck on a more regular basis. Now 65. Works for me.

Many of these Thai ladies I meet say I am very handsome and that I am not very pupui even though I have been quite hefty all my life.

So much nicer than my ex back home...Lol
  • Confused 1