Curious about SS benefits and Retirement visa

If showing income verification to the Thai immigration office.

Do you show the gross or the net amount.

I have a deduction coming out for part D medicare.

In my case the part D deduction takes me right under the 65,000 baht / mo. rule.

Thanks in advance.

It is gross income.

You can put your actual income from social security before deductions on the income affidavit you will do at the US embassy.

That income declaration at the embassy is in dollars, correct?

So if you're close to 65k baht in dollars some years it would meet that and some years not depending on the exchange rate, correct?

Which exchange rate source do immigration officers accept?

Also would that rate be the rate at the date. of application?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The income is stated in dollars.
If close to 65k baht it would depend upon the exchange rate on the date of application for the extension.
Immigration check a banks rate on the date of application (most use Bangkok Bank's).
Thanks.
Also that isn't only an issue for people close to the 65k. People having income well under the 65k would be using the combination method. They also need to watch exchange rates very closely.

Thanks for the reply's. I have a retirement visa now and have had one for years, but I am getting tired of making an appointment with the American embassy and spending 50 bucks on the income paper. 

I have other monthly income, but if my SS alone would satisfy immigration it would be great.

Do I just bring in my SS statement to immigration when applying for my visa extension? Is that is all that is needed?

Also if I have to show my other monthly income can i show my bank statements to prove a monthly income or do i need the fund management company to give me a letter?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, garyk said:

Thanks for the reply's. I have a retirement visa now and have had one for years, but I am getting tired of making an appointment with the American embassy and spending 50 bucks on the income paper. 

I have other monthly income, but if my SS alone would satisfy immigration it would be great.

Do I just bring in my SS statement to immigration when applying for my visa extension? Is that is all that is needed?

Also if I have to show my other monthly income can i show my bank statements to prove a monthly income or do i need the fund management company to give me a letter?

Absolutely 100 percent NOT!

You will need to get the embassy (or consulate) income letter annually.

There is absolutely NO WAY for you to skip that step by showing income proof directly to immigration.

The embassy income letter can be as old as six months.

Now with that letter, it is always possible that the immigration officer handling your application MAY ask for documentation to support the claim in that letter. So it's good to be prepared for that just in case.

Sorry, bad news for you, the only way for you to avoid getting the embassy income letter is if you go with the 800K in a Thai bank method.

• Like 2

I notice there has been a lot of debate about the US embassy income letters and have a question -( I hope it doesn't get me banned )- but how do you state your income when you are not sure what it is? 

In the case of someone whose sole income comes from investments - not a fixed SS or pension - this usually varies each year depending upon returns such as dividends and any capital gains.

Do you just put down last years tax filing, or do you just estimate ?  

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Absolutely 100 percent NOT!

You will need to get the embassy (or consulate) income letter annually.

There is absolutely NO WAY for you to skip that step by showing income proof directly to immigration.

The embassy income letter can be as old as six months.

Now with that letter, it is always possible that the immigration officer handling your application MAY ask for documentation to support the claim in that letter. So it's good to be prepared for that just in case.

Sorry, bad news for you, the only way for you to avoid getting the embassy income letter is if you go with the 800K in a Thai bank method.

Well that sucks, guess I will be heading to the American embassy again this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.
Also that isn't only an issue for people close to the 65k. People having income well under the 65k would be using the combination method. They also need to watch exchange rates very closely.

I use the combo method, last month did my extension, Immigration official spent 5 minutes with his phone calculator doing multiplications an additions an wrote it all down on my application   ?

11 hours ago, garyk said:

I am getting tired of making an appointment with the American embassy and spending 50 bucks on the income paper. 

50$!  If you were British it would be more than double that for a standard letter where the officials merely change the date/name and do no investigating.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, garyk said:

Yes, what a pain it all is and that $50 can be a deal breaker.

Hey, try going to immigration with your SS statement only great idea.

Seriously, give it a shot and please get back and let us know.

Thanks

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, garyk said:

Well that sucks, guess I will be heading to the American embassy again this year.

If you log on to the Embassy website, the Embassy does outreach to certain Cites in Thailand, the dates will be there and the location like Hotel?  Example, they use to come to Pattaya 3 or 4 times a year now only once. If the scheduled date is close to your renewal you are in luck.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is gross income.

You can put your actual income from social security before deductions on the income affidavit you will do at the US embassy.

I have always used just the income affidavit from the Chiang Mai American Consulate but would not showing his bank book record of a 65k baht deposit not work just as well? Asking due to other posts saying that justbthe affidavit might not suffice any more. Poster is in high clover. My SS is only 40k baht a month.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I have always used just the income affidavit from the Chiang Mai American Consulate but would not showing his bank book record of a 65k baht deposit not work just as well? Asking due to other posts saying that justbthe affidavit might not suffice any more. Poster is in high clover. My SS is only 40k baht a month.

Immigration will only accept a income document done at a embassy or consulate. A bank book could be used as backup proof for the income document if needed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

50$!  If you were British it would be more than double that for a standard letter where the officials merely change the date/name and do no investigating.

Aussie is  1900 baht so about $57 USA or $77.00 Au plus getting to the embassy 

Not cheap also some I/O will not take statements more than a month old

Retirement visa,  proof of address.    Immigration have the lease from 1 year ago. ( a 3 year one ) signed with ID from the owner of my house.  This lease ends this December 2018.       Do I have to have the same copy signed again as it is the the same as last years.   Can I produce electric and water bill paid and bank statements sent to the address.  Because the Thai owner lives away and does not communicate or speak English.    My address is also on both Thai driving licences, are these enough for proof  ???.....Another proof is the returning income verification from the British consulate EMS post. to my address.

Edited by ginjag

2 minutes ago, ginjag said:

Retirement visa,  proof of address.    Immigration have the lease from 1 year ago. ( a 3 year one ) signed with ID from the owner of my house.  This lease ends this December 2018.       Do I have to have the same copy signed again as it is the the same as last years.   Can I produce electric and water bill paid and bank statements sent to the address.  Because the Thai owner lives away and does not communicate or speak English.    My address is also on both Thai driving licences, are these enough for proof  ???

The lease you used last year should be accepted. No reason to get new signatures on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ginjag said:

Retirement visa,  proof of address.    Immigration have the lease from 1 year ago. ( a 3 year one ) signed with ID from the owner of my house.  This lease ends this December 2018.       Do I have to have the same copy signed again as it is the the same as last years.   Can I produce electric and water bill paid and bank statements sent to the address.  Because the Thai owner lives away and does not communicate or speak English.    My address is also on both Thai driving licences, are these enough for proof  ???.....Another proof is the returning income verification from the British consulate EMS post. to my address.

The I/O usually staple a receipt of your TM30 into your passport.  This has no "expiry date" and can be used every year thereafter, or until you submit a new TM30 if you do move. 

9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, what a pain it all is and that $50 can be a deal breaker.

Hey, try going to immigration with your SS statement only great idea.

Seriously, give it a shot and please get back and let us know.

Thanks

"Seriously, give it a shot and please get back and let us know."

Yes, let us know while at the same time you're  trying desperately to get a last minute appointment at the embassy before your extension of stay (not a visa) expires.

On 7/25/2018 at 11:06 AM, Time Traveller said:

I notice there has been a lot of debate about the US embassy income letters and have a question -( I hope it doesn't get me banned )- but how do you state your income when you are not sure what it is? 

In the case of someone whose sole income comes from investments - not a fixed SS or pension - this usually varies each year depending upon returns such as dividends and any capital gains.

Do you just put down last years tax filing, or do you just estimate ?  

My primary broker is Etrade.  Etrade has a very simple income estimator, you click on that, and it displays the income from dividends and interest that are currently known and uses the last value if current value is not known such as a stock that hasn't announced the upcoming dividend rate.   Easy.   Now if you are planning on listing projected capital gains, that is NOT income unless you plan on selling things and that is speculation above and beyond projecting something like ATT's dividends.   I would not depend on capital gains.  I can't say what any embassy official or immigration official would think about that, but I would not use it.   All my investments are purely for dividends and interest, Muni bonds, T, NLY, PRHYX, PFXF, PGX etc.  All with long track records, and I could easily present the previous year's total dividends and interest from my yearly 1099 statement from Etrade.

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

"Seriously, give it a shot and please get back and let us know."

Yes, let us know while at the same time you're  trying desperately to get a last minute appointment at the embassy before your extension of stay (not a visa) expires.

well, the person should have been aware of their extension of stay dates, and can go fairly far in advance of that date.  Doesn't seem like a hard thing to plan instead of waiting until the last day or so.

On 7/25/2018 at 5:23 PM, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

What is the combination method?

Is this something to do with having cash in the bank or assets. Gleefully I will own property by the time I retire.

I

My pensionwill be well under 65k baht when I retire, more like 30k.

Although it is not for 18 years, and I've applied for citizenship, it would be good to know.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A combination of annual income and money in a Thai bank totaling 800k baht.

Yes, and even though there has been controversy about whether it is in the actual written rules, you should season the bank account portion the same amount of time as if you were doing a full 800K bank application.

First annual retirement extension -- 60 days

All subsequent ones -- 90 days