Pattaya Women’s Open 2007

Jai Dee

PATTAYA WOMEN’S OPEN 2007

February 3 - 11, 2007

At Dusit Resort, Pattaya

Tickets for the tournament are on sale at the venue from 3 February.

pattaya_open.jpg

The US$170,000 Pattaya Women’s Open, professional women’s tennis tournament is Asia’s longest running professional tennis event on the Sony Ericsson WTA tour.

This year’s tournament is supported by Pattaya City, the Tourism Authority of Thailand and Chonburi Provincial Administration and will be held at the Dusit Resort, Pattaya from 3 – 11 February 2007.

The Pattaya Women’s Open has attracted a strong line-up of tennis stars, including Thailand’s No 1 Tamarine Tanasugarn, who last year reached the final of the PTT Bangkok Open, Vania King, the American teen sensation who beat Tamarine in the final, last year’s runner-up in Pattaya, Jelena Kostanic, India’s Sania Mirza and Japan’s Akiko Nakamura.

Top ranked in the tournament is France’s Marion Bartoli, triple WTA tour title-holder in 2006, who finished No 18 in the year-end rankings. Other well-known players joining the Pattaya Women’s Open are Russian Maria Kirilenko, Argentina’s Gisella Dulko and Italy’s Mara Santangelo.

The singles final will be televised “live” on ITV on Sunday 11 February from 15.00 – 17.00. There will also be “live” international television coverage to Russia, Ukraine, the Middle East and Eastern Europe on both Saturday 10 February and Sunday 11 February.

Tickets for the tournament are on sale at the venue from Friday 3 February at the following prices:

Saturday 3 February – Sunday 4 February:

(qualifying rounds) – Free Admission

Monday 5 February – Thursday 8 February:

(1st and 2nd rounds of main draw) – 300 baht

Friday 9 February – Sunday 11 February:

(Quarter-finals, semi-finals and final) – 300, 500 and 1000 baht

For information and tickets contact Pentangle Promotions Co., Ltd.

http://www.pentanglepromotions.com/Pattaya07/main.htm

Tel: 02-382 3491-3

Fax: 02-382 3490

E-mail: [email protected]

Source: TAT News Room

Santangelo, Mirza win Pattaya openers

Italian Mara Santangelo and Indian Sania Mirza were among Monday's first-round winners at the Pattaya Women's Open.

Santangelo defeated Slovakian Jarmila Gajdosova 6-4, 5-7, 6-2, and Mirza defeated Colombian Catalina Castano 7-6 (7-1), 6-0.

Shuai Peng of China also reached the second round by beating Taipei's Su-Wei Hsieh 6-1, 6-2.

Australian Alicia Molik defeated Ukrainian Kateryna Bondarenko 6-2, 6-2 and Russian Anastassia Rodionova beat Montinee Tangphong of Thailand 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).

Source: EarthTimes.org - 6 February 2007

Molik works for Pattaya win

Australia's Alicia Molik was forced to fight hard for her 6-2, 6-2 win over Ukrainian Katernia Bondareko in the first round of Thailand's Pattaya Open overnight.

Molik eventually clinched the first set in a marathon eighth game which went to deuce seven times, as Bondarenko hit four double-faults and surrendered five game points.

It then took Molik seven break points in the second set before she earned a 3-1 lead, and a second break at 5-2 took her into the next round.

In other results Italian third seed Mara Santangelo struggled to overcome Slovakia's Jarmila Gajdosova, taking nearly two hours to win 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.

Fifth seed Sania Mirza of India also had problems in the early stages before overwhelming Columbia's Catalina Castano 7-6, 6-0, but fourth-seeded Shuai Peng of China had no difficulty, dismissing Su-wei Hsieh of Taiwan 6-1, 6-2.

Source: ABC Online - 6 February 2007

Sania Mirza has it easy in Pattaya

Sania Mirza showed no sign of rustiness as she marked her return to competitive tennis with a straight-set victory over Catalina Castano of Colombia in the WTA Pattaya Open on Monday.

Fifth seed Sania, who had taken a break after her early loss in the Australian Open, won 7-6 (7-1), 6-0 to advance to the second round of the $170,000 hardcourt tournament.

Meanwhile, Justine Henin-Hardenne will make a much-awaited return when she joins a very competitive field in this week’s Paris Open.

The Belgian, who lost her world No. 1 spot to Maria Sharapova after skipping the Australian Open for personal reasons, will have to deal with a host of top Russians as well as holder Amelie Mauresmo of France.

Henin-Hardenne announced last month that she would not take part in the first Grand Slam of the year following her split from husband Pierre-Yves. Henin, who has a bye for the first round, faces a possible second-round clash with Greek Eleni Daniilidou.

The field for the Open includes Russians Nadia Petrova, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Dinara Safina, a winner here in 2005. Mauresmo, who has also been granted a first-round bye, will be eager to get back to winning ways following her disappointing third-round defeat at the Australian Open.

“She is going to play very well, I am very confident about her technical skills,” said the Frenchwoman’s former coach Jean-Claude Perrin.

Source: The Telegraph - 6 February 2007

Pratt upsets Kirilenko in Thailand

Australia's Nicole Pratt caused a major boilover at the Pattaya Open in Thailand, defeating second-seeded Russian Maira Kirilenko in the first round on Tuesday.

Pratt progressed to the second round with a 7-6 (7-1), 2-6, 7-5 victory and will now meet Vania King of the United States.

In other results, sixth seed Gisela Dulko of Argentina beat China's Tiantian Sun 6-4, 6-1 and number eight seed Aiko Nakamura of Japan downed local hope Noppawan Lertcheewakarn 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.

Source: ABC Online - 7 February 2007

Pratt upsets Kirilenko at Pattaya Open

Nicole Pratt has staged a stunning first round upset of second-seeded Maria Kirilenko in the Pattaya Women's Open.

The Australian defeating her Russian opponent 7-6 (7-1) 2-6 7-5 on the second day of play at the $US170,000 ($A219,450) WTA event.

The 33-year-old demonstrated fine stamina by winning the 2 1/2 hour match, which was interrupted for almost two hours of unseasonal rain.

"It was a good effort," said Pratt.

"I played well the whole match. I lost concentration in the second set and came back from a breakdown in the third set. I just waited for my shots and kept fighting."

Sybille Bammer of Austria produced the other upset of the day by beating seventh-seeded Russian Vasilisa Bardina 6-1 6-4.

Sixth-seeded Gisela Dulko of Argentina also advanced after routing Sun Tian-tian of China 6-4 6-1. Dulko meets Australian Alicia Molik in the second round.

Japan's eighth-seeded Aiko Nakamura shrugged off a slow start to down Thai qualifier Noppawan Lertcheewakarn 3-6 6-3 6-1.

Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia also came back from a set down to beat Meng Yuan of China 1-6 6-1 6-3.

In other first round play, Israeli Tzipora Obziler beat Yuliana Fedak of Ukraine 6-2 6-2, and Romina Oprandi of Italy beat Olga Savchuk of Ukraine 3-6 6-4 7-5.

In late matches, Vania King of the United States beat Croatia's Jelena Kostanic Tosic 6-1 6-3, and Martina Sucha of Slovakia defeated Slovenia's Andreja Klepac, 7-5 6-3.

Source: The Age - 7 February 2007

Mirza battles into Pattaya tennis quarters

India's Sania Mirza has held off a strong challenge from local favourite Tamarine Tanasugarn to reach the Pattaya Open quarter-finals 6-4, 2-6, 6-1.

Third seed Mara Santangelo also advanced, along with China's Peng Shuai and Austrian Sybille Bammer.

Mirza, the fifth seed, struggled to produce her best tennis in windy and humid conditions, and twice double-faulted on set point when leading 5-3 in the first set on Wednesday.

After a total of four double-faults she conceded the game with a wild forehand error, but then broke for the set with a winning return off a second serve.

Tanasugarn continued to press in the second set by moving the ball around well and hitting some strong groundstrokes to build a 5-1 lead.

But Mirza once again gained the upper hand in the deciding set, breaking to lead 3-1 by forcing a backhand error and then giving up just five points in the final three games against a tiring opponent.

Tanasugarn criticised the scheduling after she completed her first round match at 12.30 am, claiming that if she had played on Thursday the outcome would have been different. But that was of no concern to Mirza.

"I obviously didn't play close to my best, but under the conditions and circumstances it was a good match to win," said Mirza.

"It was a bit windy today and that was one of the reasons for the inconsistency, but I'm happy to get through to the quarters."

Italy's Santangelo dismissed Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia 6-2, 6-4 to book her place in the last eight.

Santangelo quickly exploited her opponent's weak serve and allowed the Russian just four points in the opening three games.

Kudryavtseva held off a break point at 0-3, and then had an opportunity to come back when Santangelo double-faulted at 4-2 to give her break point. But the Italian held off the threat with a forehand volley, held for 5-2, and broke again for the set.

Kudryavtseva failed to take advantage of another opportunity early in the second set when she held two break points to lead 2-1, and she then dropped her own serve in the next game to fall behind 3-1.

Yet another chance went begging after Santangelo served for the match at 5-3 but dropped her serve with a double-fault and, although the Russian came within two points of levelling at 5-5, Santangelo broke once more for the match.

China's Peng dropped the first set against Italy's Romina Oprandi, before dominating the rest of the match to win 6-7 (5/7), 6-1, 6-3.

Meanwhile the left-handed Bammer progressed with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Anastassia Rodionova of Russia.

Source: AFP - 8 February 2007

Quarterfinals set at Pattaya Women's Open

Third-seeded Mara Santangelo of Italy reached the quarterfinals with a 6-2, 6-4 win Wednesday over Alla Kudryavtseva at the Pattaya Women's Open.

Fifth-seeded Sania Mirza of India shrugged off a flurry of unforced errors to beat Thai Tamarine Tanasugarn 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 and advance to the quarterfinals.

"It was a good match to win, especially against the crowd favorite," Mirza said. "It was an up-and-down match and whoever controlled the situation better, won."

Mirza will next play Santangelo.

"I have never played her, but she is great," Mirza said. "She has different kinds of styles. I just have to rest and get ready for the match."

Fourth-seeded Peng Shuai of China defeated Romina Oprandi of Italy 6-7 (5-7), 6-1, 6-3, and Sybille Bammer of Austria also advanced to the quarterfinals with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Anastassia Rodionova.

Source: AP - 8 February 2007

SANIA DUMPS TAMMY

Thai ace shown the exit in the second round by Indian

30026270-01.jpg

SANIA MIRZA says she is happy to beat the crowd favourite Tamarine Tanasugarn yesterday.

A flustered and frustrated Tamarine Tanasugarn tumbled out of the US$170,000 Pattaya Women's Open at the second round stage yesterday after an error-filled performance against India's Sania Mirza.

Drained out from a tough midnight encounter with Taiwanese Chan Yung-jan in Tuesday's first round, Tamarine was nowhere near her best and went down haplessly to the fifth-seed 6-4 2-6 6-1.

After a three-set match with Chan and 16 hours later, the 29-year-old said the heavy schedule had taken its toll.

"I was still exhausted from that match," the former finalist complained.

"I went to bed at 3am and had to get up at 8am. The programme was cruel. I was stunned they arranged a tight schedule for me.

"If the match was on Thursday, the result would have been better. I tried my best out there. It was just a matter of bad luck to be given a tight programme,'' she added.

The first set was a pain for fans to watch with both players barely managing to keep the ball on the court. Tamarine was struggling with her first serves and at 3-4 buried two easy backhands to put Mirza up at 5-3. The Indian returned the favour by serving four double faults the next game. The crowd shook their heads from time to time in utter disbelief at the insipid fare they were being served.

But in the second set, the match took a turn for the better with Tamarine moving Mirza around the court with her deep groundstrokes that clipped the lines to find an equaliser at one set all after just 26 minutes.

Tamarine wanted a break before the decider and when she returned to the court, she did not appear fresh. Instead it was the aggressive Indian who dictated points with her huge serves and razor-sharp groundstrokes.

"It was an up-and-down match. It was just a matter of who controlled the points better. I was happy to get through the match when I was not at my best,'' said the 49th-ranked Mirza, who outplayed the Thai in the Doha Asian Games in December.

"I knew she could be very dangerous, especially when she plays at home. I'm happy to beat someone who is the crowd favourite and used to be in the top 20,'' added Mirza, who is making her second quarter-final appearance this season after reaching the semis in Hobart.

She will play third-seeded Mara Santangelo of Italy for the first time tomorrow. "She is great. She has a different kind of style. I just have to take a rest and get ready for the match," she said.

Tamarine had the consolation of progressing in the doubles quarter-finals. She and Kateryna Bondarenko of Ukraine beat Hsieh Su-wei of Taiwan and Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia 6-4 3-6 12-10 in the first round of the night session. The Thai-Ukrainian team faced match point at 8-9 in the super tiebreak but fought it off bravely.

Two Russian challengers were stopped in the second round yesterday. Tennis mom Sybille Bammer of Austria, a semi-finalist last year, fought back from a break down in the second set to beat Anastasia Rodionova 6-2 7-5. Santangelo dismissed Alla Kudryavtseva 6-2 6-4.

Chinese fourth-seeded Peng Shuai, one of the three double-fisted hitters apart from top seed Marion Bartoli and eighth-seeded Aiko Nakamura remaining in the draw, bounced back from a first set deficit to topple Romina Oprandi of Italy 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 6-3.

In the doubles first round, Nicole Pratt of Australia and Mara Santangelo of Italy beat Alicia Molik of Australia and Bryanne Stewart of South Africa 6-2 6-0.

Source: The Nation - 8 February 2007

Molik pulls out of Thai tournament

Alicia Molik has pulled out of the Pattaya Open WTA tournament in Thailand with a hamstring injury.

The Australian was scheduled to play sixth seed Gisela Dulko in the second round of the tournament on Friday.

But after losing her doubles match with compatriot Bryanne Stewart, Molik announced her withdrawal from the tournament citing a left hamstring injury.

Molik and Stewart lost 6-2 6-0 to Nicole Pratt and Italy's Mara Santangelo in the doubles.

Australian Pratt plays American Vania King in the singles second round, with the winner set to play Argentine Dulko in the quarter-finals.

Meanwhile, India's fifth seed Sania Mirza held off a strong challenge from local favourite Tamarine Tanasugarn to reach the quarter-finals 6-4 2-6 6-1.

Third seed Mara Santangelo also advanced, along with China's Peng Shuai and Austrian Sybille Bammer.

Mirza, the fifth seed, struggled to produce her best tennis in windy and humid conditions and twice double-faulted on set point when leading 5-3 in the first set.

After a total of four double-faults she conceded the game with a wild forehand error, but then broke for the set with a winning return off a second serve.

Mirza again gained the upper hand in the deciding set, breaking to lead 3-1 by forcing a backhand error and then giving up just five points in the final three games against a tiring opponent.

Tanasugarn criticised the scheduling after she completed her first round match at 12.30am, claiming if she had played on Friday, the outcome would have been different.

But that was of no concern to Mirza.

"I obviously didn't play close to my best, but under the conditions and circumstances it was a good match to win," said Mirza.

"It was a bit windy today and that was one of the reasons for the inconsistency, but I'm happy to get through to the quarters."

Italy's Santangelo dismissed Alla Kudryavtseva of Russia 6-2 6-4 to book her place in the last eight.

Santangelo quickly exploited her opponent's weak serve and allowed the Russian just four points in the opening three games.

Kudryavtseva held off a break point at 0-3 and then had an opportunity to come back when Santangelo double-faulted at 4-2 to give her break point.

But the Italian held off the threat with a forehand volley, held for 5-2 and broke again for the set.

Kudryavtseva failed to take advantage of another opportunity early in the second set when she held two break points to lead 2-1 and she then dropped her own serve in the next game to fall behind 3-1.

Yet another chance went begging after Santangelo served for the match at 5-3 but dropped her serve with a double-fault and, although the Russian came within two points of levelling at 5-5, Santangelo broke once more for the match.

China's Peng dropped the first set against Italy's Romina Oprandi, before dominating the rest of the match to win 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 6-3.

Meanwhile the left-handed Bammer progressed with a 6-2 7-5 victory over Anastassia Rodionova of Russia.

Source: The West Australian - 8 February 2007

Top-seeded Bartoli upset in Thailand

Top-seeded Marion Bartoli of France was upset by Martina Sucha of Slovakia 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 in the second round of the Pattaya Women's Open on Thursday.

Sucha advanced to a quarterfinal against Sybille Bammer of Austria.

Australian veteran Nicole Pratt, back in the top 50 rankings this week for the first time in more than two years, extended her good run with a 6-2, 6-4 win over American Vania King, who turned 18 last weekend.

Pratt, turning 34 in March, has played in Pattaya since 1991, and reached her third quarterfinals at the seaside resort, but first since 1999.

"I play tennis on a day-by-day basis," said Pratt, who almost hung up her racket last year. "I want to enjoy tennis, and fight really hard."

In the quarterfinals she'll meet sixth-seeded Gisela Dulko of Argentina.

Qualifier Tzipi Obziler of Israel rallied to upset eighth-seeded Aiko Nakamura of Japan 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, and plays fourth-seeded Shuai Peng of China on Friday.

In the other quarterfinal, third-seeded Mara Santangelo of Italy faces fifth-seeded Sania Mirza of India.

Source: AP - 9 February 2007

Peng, Mirza advance in Thailand

India's Sania Mirza beat Italy's Maria Santangelo 6-4, 7-6(4) on Friday to reach the semifinals of the Pattaya Women's Open.

The fifth-seeded Mirza came back from a 5-3 deficit in both sets to overpower her third-seeded opponent.

China's Peng Shuai, the No. 4 seed, used strong groundstrokes to defeat Israel's Tzipi Obziler 6-3, 6-2.

''I hit the balls hard and tried to make her run,'' said Peng, who was slowed by a cough and cold to earn her first semifinal berth of the year.

Sixth-seeded Gisela Dulko of Argentina defeated Nicole Pratt of Australia 6-2, 6-3 to reach her first tour semifinals in two years.

Left-handed Sybille Bammer of Austria returned to the Pattaya semis for a second straight year after taking nearly three hours to beat Martina Sucha of Slovakia 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.

''It was a very long match,'' said Bammer, who ended a losing streak to the Slovak. ''I'm so happy, because I lost to her five times.''

In the semifinals, Mirza meets Peng, and Dulko plays Bammer.

Source: AP - 10 February 2007

Mirza beats Santangelo to reach Pattaya semis

Sania Mirza twice came from behind to beat third seed Mara Santangelo 6-4 7-6 at the Pattaya Open on Friday and reach her second semi-final of the year.

After a shaky start and an on-off service game, the 20-year-old fifth seed climbed back from 4-1 down to take the first set and pushed the Italian to a tie-break in the second to reach the final four.

Mirza said she spent much of the match trying to work out her opponent's complex game.

"She's very difficult to play against, I don't know any player like her and I was trying to figure how she plays and her strengths and weaknesses," Mirza she told reporters.

"I had some bad serves but I got them right when I needed them.

"I was twice down but I always play better when I'm losing. It seems to motivate me to play better."

Mirza will meet Gisela Dulko in Saturday's semis after the Argentine sixth seed eased past Australian Nicole Pratt 6-2 6-3.

Austrian Sybille Bammer took almost three hours to get past Slovakia's Martina Sucha 3-6 6-3 6-3 to reach the second WTA semi-final of her 11-year professional career.

Bammer broke Sucha's serve in the opening game but lost the set 6-3 after two long games during which the pair were stuck at deuce 10 times.

Bammer fought back to take the second after some closely fought rallies and pulled away in the third to register her first victory against the Slovak in six matches.

"I got a little down when we were stuck at deuce all the time because I didn't take my chances but I got through."

Bammer faces fourth seed Shuai Peng in the semi-finals after the Chinese beat Israel's Tzipora Obziler 6-3 6-2.

Source: Reuters - 10 February 2007

Latest Results: For Saturday February 10th 2007

From Dusit: Pattaya

Singles

Sybille Bammer (AUT) beat (4) Peng Shuai (CHN) 64 62

(6) Gisela Dulko (ARG) beat (5) Sania Mirza (IND) 64 75

Final Tomorrow: See you there!

Edited by libya 115

PATTAYA JOY FOR BAMMER

Tennis mom wins the first title of career

Sybille Bammer of Austria created a piece of WTA history when she became the first mum to hold a WTA singles trophy for about three decades with an epic win over Argentine Gisela Dulko in the final of the US$170,000 Pattaya Women's Open yesterday.

Bammer emulated Australian Evonne Goolagong Cawley, the long-limbed player with lightning reflexes who had surprised the tennis world by winning on Tour and then the game's ultimate prize, Wimbledon, in 1980, three years after giving birth to daughter Kelly.

The 500-odd fans at the Dusit Resort Hotel were ready to crown the sixth-seed Dulko, who came close to her maiden title by holding three match points at 5-3 in the decider. But Dulko rewrote her own destiny by making error after error. Bammer kept her sangfroid, displaying her mental toughness while reeling off four games en route to triumph 7-5 3-6 7-5 after two hours and 55 minutes.

In the doubles final, Nicole Pratt of Australia and Mara Santangelo of Italy won 6-4 7-6 (7-4) over Australian Open finalists Chan Yung-jan and Chua Chia-jung.

Bammer, a mother of a five-year-old girl, took 11 long years to get the breakthrough. It was hard to believe for the Austrian, who took maternity leave from the Tour for two years between 2000-2002, to finally emerge and win a trophy. A story straight out of Hollywood perhaps.

"It's one of the happiest days in my life," said the 26-year-old. "Even when I was down I kept fighting. Both of us wanted to win and in the end I was lucky," said the victor who was presented with a US$23,700 cheque.

Bammer's never-say-die attitude and dogged persistence got her through crucial situations. "She was more aggressive. I was too slow. She played really good, she made me run with her cross court shots. But I kept fighting and I won," said the left-handed Austrian, who after her next tournament in Antwerp will return home with a Barbie doll for her daughter.

Dulko, 22, was teary-eyed as she walked off the court with the runner-up prize and US$12,775 in prize money.

"It was unbelievable. In tennis you never know who will win until the last ball is hit," said the pony-tailed Argentine from Buenos Aires. "I felt a little bit disappointed. I had three match points and was so close to winning. But she made a great effort and never gave me free points."

Dulko, who was supported by a group of Argentine fans, however, took positives from her loss, which she believed would benefit her career in the future.

"I was happy that today I did the best I could. Even though I lost I felt there is still some good tennis left inside of me."

The first set started with several breaks until the Austrian held the advantage at 5-4. She had the chance to close out the first set serving at 5-4 but two successive errors allowed the Argentine to level at five. Inconsistency got the better of the Argentine again when two erratic forehands cost her the next game. At 6-5 and 40-15 on serves, the Austrian beat the South American at the net to land the 57-minute first set 7-5.

Blowing several break-point opportunities, Dulko finally broke the ice in the sixth game by applying a lob to gain the upper-hand at 4-2. She levelled the match when the Bammer returned serve to the net.

Play was suspended for 10 minutes before the two competitors returned to court. Bammer got off to a 2-0 lead but from then on she was too much on the defence and supplied short balls for the aggressive Dulko to rip several winners.

The Argentine broke in the fifth game and jumped to a 5-3 lead and had three match points. Yet she sprayed three shots long to let Bammer close the gap at 4-5.

From then on errors crept into the Argentine's game and when her forehand met the net to allow the Austrian claw back at 5-5, fans were jubilant that they were in midst of a thrilling final.

Bammer took four games in a row and closed out the match after she chased a drop shot and replied with a winner.

Source: The Nation - 12 February 2007