German man arrested for NINETEEN year overstay

webfact

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, overherebc said:

The difficult part will be getting the ticket organised as in IDC you will have to rely on someone outside making all the arrangements for you. No phones allowed etc.

Don't know how helpful embassies would be etc.

"The difficult part will be getting the ticket organised as in IDC you will have to rely on someone outside making all the arrangements for you. No phones allowed etc."

LOS the homeland of human rights:wacko:

5 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Now it`s the overstayers and I`m sure they`ll be after the illegal property and business owners next. Be afraid, be very afraid.

There are only after one thing in Thailand.

Money.

Its not about right or wrong.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

They did. In 2014 there were very strong signals that they were planning on introducing blacklisting for overstay. In the event, the rules were not brought in until 2016 and just before that a notice was given that people that surrendered and paid the fine could re-enter. I had an 11-year overstay and was able to clear my overstay and re-enter Thailand a couple of days later and the authorities were good to their word and I have never had a problem since obtaining visas or entry. So a quite long amnesty period was in fact introduced. We do not know the personal circumstances of these individuals but if they had cleared their status before April 2016 they would have been clear and have legalised their visa status. 

1 hour ago, thaibreaker said:

A korean guy at room 7 when I was there, had been in that same room for almost 14 years. A couple of chinese for 8 and 10 years.

Lots of people have been there much longer than 2 years. And trust me, this isn't a pleasant place to be..

Way back when I remember a Belgian or German guy looked like he'd just stepped off the Kontiki raft complete with the hair and long beard. At that time he'd been in for 5 or 6 years.

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I play by the rules, but I still think someone who racks up a twenty year overstay should get some sort of lifetime achievement award. 

Takes a lot of ''Ducking and Diving'' to get away with that....

3 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I am curious about how long exactly are these people held before they are actually put on a plane and deported??

Until they can afford to pay the IDC fee and the flight back home.   

1 hour ago, thaibreaker said:

A korean guy at room 7 when I was there, had been in that same room for almost 14 years. A couple of chinese for 8 and 10 years.

Lots of people have been there much longer than 2 years. And trust me, this isn't a pleasant place to be..

In such extreme cases, the embassy should be able to help, for as long as it is true 7 years ... 14 years in a rat hole seems of great injustice for a simple overstay in any country of the world. I do not even talk about possible medical problems. It should be a scandal in the countries of origin.

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

How is that even possible without the help of locals and BIB? When even to buy a pack of gum you need to provide 3 signed copies of your passport including the page with latest entry stamp.

Maybe he doesn't chew gum & kept a very low profile...

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

The embassies in general will state that if you have been arrested for and convicted of breaking the law they will not intervene.

They might contact family but then leave it up to them to help you.

They will not help to pay for the ticket home or get involved in any financial assisstance.

I didn't say that Embassies would do any of that!  I was commenting only on your post where you stated that...

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Remember you will have no means of contact with anyone when in IDC. If no-one visits you're stuck there.

...which is not true.  You will have contact with anyone you want through the Embassy as the police report any arrest to that persons Embassy. 

I made no mention of intervention in criminal aspects, nor paying for tickets, nor their assisting financially.  The Embassies will get involved in routing financial assistance to those locked up if it is coming from friends/relatives (British, certainly will).

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

And if Imm' don't rush to contact the embassy who are you going to complain to and how?

That's a big "if".  In the real world the police are obliged by law to contact the Embassy, no reason for them to "not to rush".

15 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

There are only after one thing in Thailand.

Money.

Its not about right or wrong.

They are only after one thing in all countries around the world.

Money.

Its not about right or wrong.Innit?-?

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here's an idea, declare a blanket amnesty to all overstayers, get to know who they're, fine then accordingly and renew their visa if they are good people and not a  wanted criminals of fujities of some sort, that way Thailand will show that they're reasonable and forgiving and by doing that they may have the chance to clear the books and start fresh...

I wouldn’t think a wanted criminal etc would come forward if they declared an amnesty. 

3 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I am curious about how long exactly are these people held before they are actually put on a plane and deported??

4 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Nineteen years of laughing at us 'gullible fools' who play by the rules doing visa runs, and renewing our passports every 3 years. Time's up Karl, enjoy your incarceration and trip back to the Fatherland. 

Why renew passport every 3 years? - hope that's only for your country!

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

I am with this sentiment 100%. In fact I'd go further:

Jail time per length of overstay:

- 1 month for each year

- 1 week for each month

- 1 day for each week

Therefore Eugen would be looking at 20 months in the crowbar hotel courtesy of the Thai government.

That crap has got to stop because it has already affected me and many others like me. My "jump through all the proper hoops and legalities obtained" business visa in Laos used to allow me unlimited access into the LOS. My wife and I used to go at least monthly, do some shopping and visit her family.

Thai immigration changed the laws a couple of years ago limiting me to 2 land crossings a year unless I buy a 6 month multi-entry visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane for 5000 baht. I have bought said visa but the only reason I had to do so was because of scofflaws like Eugen et al.  Their illegal, greedy, selfish, careless and thoughtless actions cost me money.

No sympathy here in the slightest. Barring the extraordinary, there is no plausible reason whatsoever to have an overstay. Throw them away and then deport them for life.

I`m with you all the way on this.

In the end it`s us that play the game by the book who pay the price. As you say; it becomes more hoops that we need to jump through and each year it becomes tougher and more expensive.

These people are taking the peeese and I would love to see them serve prison time, thrown out the country and banned from returning for life. Those that do return should face even more prison time. Also Thais that assist the overstayers, including those that front property and businesses for them, should face even harsher penalties, as they are the worst offenders of the lot.

That's a 3.4 million b fine. Maybe the government should let people overstay up to 1 year then fine them 500 b a day x 1 year thats free money for the coffers. And the economy.  But 19 years he will be on German TV soon I'm sure and  doing interviews.  On  how effective the 90 day report is here and how dillegent the immagration dept  are. 

2 hours ago, Cereal said:

I am with this sentiment 100%. In fact I'd go further:

Jail time per length of overstay:

- 1 month for each year

- 1 week for each month

- 1 day for each week

Therefore Eugen would be looking at 20 months in the crowbar hotel courtesy of the Thai government.

That crap has got to stop because it has already affected me and many others like me. My "jump through all the proper hoops and legalities obtained" business visa in Laos used to allow me unlimited access into the LOS. My wife and I used to go at least monthly, do some shopping and visit her family.

Thai immigration changed the laws a couple of years ago limiting me to 2 land crossings a year unless I buy a 6 month multi-entry visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane for 5000 baht. I have bought said visa but the only reason I had to do so was because of scofflaws like Eugen et al.  Their illegal, greedy, selfish, careless and thoughtless actions cost me money.

No sympathy here in the slightest. Barring the extraordinary, there is no plausible reason whatsoever to have an overstay. Throw them away and then deport them for life.

Really? Are you sure??

14 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

I didn't say that Embassies would do any of that!  I was commenting only on your post where you stated that...

...which is not true.  You will have contact with anyone you want through the Embassy as the police report any arrest to that persons Embassy. 

I made no mention of intervention in criminal aspects, nor paying for tickets, nor their assisting financially.  The Embassies will get involved in routing financial assistance to those locked up if it is coming from friends/relatives (British, certainly will).

So basically you agree with what I said.

The embassy will make contact with family friends etc and if they send money the embassy will use it or assist the person/family with buying the ticket.

They will not lend money to family friends and wait for it to paid back. I wonder why?????

Re' contact, you are at the mercy of others as far as timing goes. You can't dictate to the embassy when, what or where. That is up to them. If you get banged up on Friday then they are not going to know until the Monday or later.

Maybe each embassy has certain days to send a rep' so you have to wait until that time and join the queue.

In IDC you dictate nothing to anyone and you are fooling yourself if you believe you can.

Cant understand the logic. Years ago we went to Malaysia spent a load of cash, nice Hotel n Holliday , got stupid stamps, , came back with no disposable income for Thai Folks..!.?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived