Photos: "New" tire explodes as pick-up overturns in Pathum Thani

webfact

Photos: "New" tire explodes as pick-up overturns in Pathum Thani

c1.jpg

Images from a dash cam of a following vehicle caught the moment when a Ford Ranger pick-up collided with a central reservation pole and turned onto its side yesterday.

The accident happened in the Klong Luang district of Rangsit, Pathum Thani north of Bangkok.

Driver Supanya Rat-Or, 35, from Mahasarakham province had to be cut free from his cab.

c2.jpg

Before he was taken to Bang Pakork Rangsit 2 hospital was able to tell Thai Rath reporters at the scene that his vehicle suffered a blow out on a front tire causing him to lose control.

He said that he had just changed his old tires for new ones.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-26

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Why does he need new tyres,he's on a red plate,so truck

should be relatively new,and looking underneath,brand new.

regards worgeordie

You were quicker :smile:

Something fishy about this new tire story.

And why has the author put it in quotes ("new")?

The tires in the back look brandnew indeed.

how did he do this if he was driving at the speed limit, this only happens when you are travelling fairly fast and suffer a blow out. Also dont those tyres seem a bit narrow for a new  ranger tyres, has he swapped(sold) the original tyres and stuck "treads" on to make some money, something certainly doesnt add up here

31 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

He has changed his Tyres and they are not the originals; they have a fetish here for 'changing wheels'.    Morons don't realise when you do that with a brand new vehicle you are killing the warranty stone dead.

warranty in thailand,that usually expires when you drive it out of the showroom.

1 hour ago, seajae said:

how did he do this if he was driving at the speed limit, this only happens when you are travelling fairly fast and suffer a blow out

The Thairath report has a blurry dash cam video from a car behind.

He was driving in dense traffic and far from too fast.

All of a sudden he is slowly moving to the right and jumping over the guard rails.

Leaves a lot to interpretation...

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Doesn't look like a blow out to me... Looks more like he fell asleep and drifted slowly into the central reservation...

This one for example :biggrin:

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Exactly, brand new truck. It's all about the 'can't-lose-face-syndrome'.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

I take it the truck driver will be prosecuted for having a red plate. The DLT said months ago that from July they would be illegal, as it is possible to go and register a new vehicle with permanent plates 'in one day' - their words.

5 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Front left 13psi,front right 130psi.

Most compressors make it to a max of 80psi. But that is still enough for a tire to burst under load. The police should check the pressure on the remaining tires. That might help to find a clue.

If it was the left front tyre blowing even at low speed when he hit the brakes the car would have pulled hard to the right, it looks like he hit the start of the safety barrier which threw the car over.

If he didnt hit the brakes the car might have been easier to control

Just my thought

4 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Doesn't look like a blow out to me... Looks more like he fell asleep and drifted slowly into the central reservation...

Blow outs normally cause a bit more erratic action

I agree.

The dashcam video shows a slow drift at moderate speed across the hard shoulder. Looking at the 'blown' drivers side front tire in the photograph, the whole divers side front chassis is pushed back (cross members no longer parallel and tire pushed back against rear of fender). He lost concentration and/or fell asleep, dropped the drivers side front wheel off the blacktop where he hits the first post of the short section of "Armco" barrier. The tire looks deflated but it's hitting the Armco that flipped him. I wager the rim probably has a huge deformation, hence the claimed 'blow out'. There's no way a simple blowout would have flipped the truck at that speed.

22 minutes ago, Netease said:

If it was the left front tyre blowing even at low speed when he hit the brakes the car would have pulled hard to the right, it looks like he hit the start of the safety barrier which threw the car over.

If he didnt hit the brakes the car might have been easier to control

Just my thought

You got that guardrail hit right.

I fell asleep at the wheel in my Dodge pickup, wandered at around 40 mph into a ditch where the front axle hit the top-edge of a 3' concrete drainage culvert, flipping me ass over tit onto some steel stay wires for a utility pole. Boy! Did THAT wake me up???!!!

...and everyone else partying at a nearby municipal BBQ pit.

Anyone can speed like a maniac however try to regain control of a car at speed is quite a different story. I would say 90% of drivers cannot regain control. Let alone having a tire blow out when your flying down the road.

3 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

Most compressors make it to a max of 80psi. But that is still enough for a tire to burst under load. The police should check the pressure on the remaining tires. That might help to find a clue.

It probably blew out on impact with the barrier,but hey what a great way of passing the blame onto the tyre.

Archived