Mandatory travel insurance and GPS trackers for foreign tourists mooted by Thai tourism officials

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, godonnet said:

If I was asked to put on a GPS-tracker when entering Thailand, I would turn around in security and leave with the first plane going somewhere else. 

That'd be kind of an own goal, the Thais won't care and you'll have allowed them to ruin your holiday. Better to take it and then either bin it or leave it in your hotel room as evidence you never went out. I'd love to see the egg on their faces if they go ahead and launch it, only to find out it's completely legally unenforceable. 

GPS traders for tourists... what a novel idea???  I've heard that many other countries now use GPS to keep a track of their tourists (NOT)... just another way for thick brown envelopes for the boys.  The ministry for grand plans and ideas needs to think before engaging the mashed potato between their ears.... get a grip!!

Well now they have so many tourists maybe they have enough  money to mess with them and pick and chose

i reckon the GPS tracking should be optional. Maybe some tourists might feel safer some might like privacy 

if it’s manditory then I worry about the state of the future of this country.

how much money does Chinese tourists bring to the country ?

i am sure it’s more than enough to cover compensation 

11 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

That'd be kind of an own goal, the Thais won't care and you'll have allowed them to ruin your holiday. Better to take it and then either bin it or leave it in your hotel room as evidence you never went out. I'd love to see the egg on their faces if they go ahead and launch it, only to find out it's completely legally unenforceable. 

But will you be able to remove it?  I have been picturing ankle bracelets the same as criminals wear for home detention.  If you did remove it would there be a fine or possibly jail time?

11 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Stick it down the back seat of a taxi in Bangkok.

2 hours ago, Thechook said:

But will you be able to remove it?  I have been picturing ankle bracelets the same as criminals wear for home detention.  If you did remove it would there be a fine or possibly jail time?

Impossible to force people to wear these. In an era where privacy issues are more of a hot potato all the time, they'd be the laughing stock of the world. Don't forget the former mistress of tourism had the same idea three years ago after Koh Tao and was completely lambasted by the media for it. 

Where is the part of history gone where people going on holiday thousands of km from their home country had the logic to think about emergency/accidents/sickness? also happens when on holiday and with that naturally buying a travel insurance??

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, bkk6060 said:

So, what is your point?

They put out a statement based upon my observation is true.

So??

I do not understand what you mean if the above refers to me ! Besta regards Margita

On 7/28/2018 at 9:59 PM, B T Justice said:

When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.

Maybe you are on another planet ?

Maybe as I am not a permanent resident here and see things a bit different.Regarding  travelinsurances that was a big issue after tsunami and the immigration said that they could not handle it and that is true in awoiding even more long ques upon arrival.Not for Chinese who will now get red carpet to own immigartion counter! I will finnish my comment about the subject by now.

Chinese tourists are being treated more and more like animals.... even being assigned tracker. But in all fairness...I do see the logic in it. And they would otherwise suffer more if they get separated from their group or something without a GPS tracker.... If they have, the tour leader or guide can find them by tracking them. How about insisting that every travel agency that services chinese tourists have their own tracking system for their group members?

45 minutes ago, NoMeAmes said:

Chinese tourists are being treated more and more like animals.... even being assigned tracker. But in all fairness...I do see the logic in it. And they would otherwise suffer more if they get separated from their group or something without a GPS tracker.... If they have, the tour leader or guide can find them by tracking them. How about insisting that every travel agency that services chinese tourists have their own tracking system for their group members?

I would like them each to be required to hold a flag with a Gps attached to the top.

Much better reception..

From my somewhat limited experience of insurance in Thailand I find the service excellent. Same with Insurance on arrival in Laos. It should be no great shakes to issue Insurance on arrival... eg. 30 day on arrival 1000Bt. 90 day 3000 etc. The entry stamp doubles as your insurance validation. It will cover the costs of drunken idiots on hired scooters - who have mostly never driven one before. Without entering the realms of American or UK insurance pros? and cons! KISS. The only ones to miss out will be the ones on overstay who trip over.... of course if you wanted to be pedantic you could backcharge for all the insurance they would have had, had they followed the rules.

I personally am not a fan of rules Fools and wise men etc. However in this case yes. Again KISS... this is not a lottery to benefit from compensation it pays hospital bills ( somehow I cannot see Bangkok Hospital getting onto the approved list). In the case of the recent boat disaster death and compensation should have been covered by the operator. Probably wasn't but bet it will be next time.

Archived