Mandatory travel insurance and GPS trackers for foreign tourists mooted by Thai tourism officials

webfact

A majority of accidents are caused by Thais, so Thais should pay up!

Just look at the health and safety in all walks of life! 

Thailand has officially one of, if not the most, dangerous roads in the world, which has nothing to do with foreigners.

Yet more unbelievable rubbish...

Victimisation and racism come to mind.

Just look at the last two previous incidents instigated by Thais...

Once again, point the blame at the tourist, much the same as the filth on beaches.

Tolerated but not liked.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kcpattaya said:

I don't believe 64 million was paid out. Sounds VERY un-Thai to me...

Are you suggesting it was an 'accounting error'?

6.4 million plus all the advisers, PR teams, hastily-dreamed-up committees, miscellaneous expenses, etc = 64 million. Easy!

1 minute ago, markaoffy said:

The brains of Thai officialdom ... in their boots

There always has to be $$$$ in it for them! nothing is ever done for the "right" ethical reasons! ?

What is the point of insurance if they not pay if you are in a motorcycle accident, eg get hit by a Thai driver.

As with the compensation paid to the Chinese, why are operators working without insurance, they should have to pay.

22 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

I don't believe 64 million was paid out. Sounds VERY un-Thai to me...

Didn't China want  money form NZ for the earthquake deaths? Right and you haven't heard of anything which fits the bill. China was mad and they wanted money comp - Thailand had to pay so they say nothing in public about it. That favorite;  if we say nothing then it really did not happen  ..... tactic.

So sure they paid the money. Probably tripped over their own feet running to the ATM

33 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

There should be billions still left from the Tsunami word wide

Do you believe in miracles? The billions are on hundred different bank accounts now, and the list of names swept away with the draining off water.

12 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

If the GPS replace the visit to immigration every time I sleep outside my house then please give it to me, I will even buy it. 

prisoner.jpg

I love the nifty pyjamas..

Come to think of it..a new "convict" fashion line for tourists might just be a goer!

A niche market as they say..

Okay. What happens to the millions who rock up to the border/airport without travel insurance? Are they refused entry, or denied boarding by the airline before even getting to Thailand?

It really is quite staggering how Thai officials like to demonstrate how short-sighted they are. As is so common in Thailand, they can't think beyond stage one and have no clue about the consequences of any action. They have the mentality of young children.

I had an interesting incident early this year. Both me and my wife went back home (UK) for 2 weeks. Inquired about travel insurance for the two weeks, for me and my wife. A Thai insurance company (BB) stated my wife could have insurance cover, but i couldn't have insurance cover, because i was going back to my country of origin!. 

Is this the same with all Thai insurance companies?

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

How dare those foreigners allow inept safety standards lead to their own deaths. 

Do they not know how much money it costs Thailand?

And as for the negative publicity...

They have a point.  There are many tourists and long term stayers that come/live here without any type of insurance. It's insane...

If you can't show that you have travel/health insurance then you can be mandated to buy one before immigration let you through.

Yes safety standards need to be improved and enforced but this is still a developing country.  Like it or not..it will take a millennial for any improvement to materialize.  

Implementing mandatory Travel Insurance Has nothing to do with enforcing Maritime Safety... If Boat Operators were following "Inplace Regulations" instead of ignoring and always making a Cop-out.... Saying it is always someone else's fault! Blaming Tourists etc. Thailand's Tourist Industry would not be in the fix it is. People need to realize that the Government is paying... WHY??? What happened to the Insurance Companies that these Tourist Traps are suppose to be required to have in place to operate Legally??  The amount of compensation paid out in recent weeks, Thailand’s tourist protection fund would run out of money if another incident where many people were injured or killed was to occur.  If the Tourist Ministry would, Stop... Look and Listen to them selves... Who are they trying to protect? Which High-So is afraid of loosing Money since they own these Companies?? This is being covered up and the Tourist Protection Fund is being made the Scape Goat... Just go up the ladder and see where the Dot's connect.

It has nothing to do with Making Tourist Purchase anything! It has 100% fault in the enforcement of regulations by the Ministries charged with the Duties to see they are followed, to Fine and Suspend Operations, revoke Licenses or just plain put out of Business the Real Reasons for these issues. They are causing Big problems because Someone is just sitting on their Ass and getting paid to do so!

The People of Thailand are not Blind, They know who the real Criminals are.... It's not the Tourists...

Believe in Karma? I think someone is getting heat because they are depleting  Government Funds, and are looking at ways to recoup... Again You want Tourists??? Watch what you touch... It may Really come to bite you.... 

9 minutes ago, jgarbo said:

Oh dear, it must be the booze (or the congenital stupidity). Returning to your birthplace doesn't need "travel" insurance, which covers a foreign country. You own country's medical insurance covers you - but not for stupidity.

I Would not be covered by my home country’s insurance since I don’t work there anymore.... 

4 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

If Thailand doesn't improve the safety standards across the board, insurance companies may have Thailand exempt clauses similar to motorcyclists

That is funny and perhaps one day true:  "This policy is good for all SE Asians countries with the exception of Thailand."  If underwriters were to start raising their rates for Thailand, that would motivate the government.    Like going from Martial Law to A44.  It was done so travelers and others could get insurance.   To be fair, Thailand was not safe prior to 2014 either.  It has always been a place where you need to be careful. 

Multiple flames, all from the same source have been removed, did you miss this forum rule when you signed up?

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

7 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

Implementing mandatory Travel Insurance Has nothing to do with enforcing Maritime Safety... If Boat Operators were following "Inplace Regulations" instead of ignoring and always making a Cop-out.... Saying it is always someone else's fault! Blaming Tourists etc. Thailand's Tourist Industry would not be in the fix it is. People need to realize that the Government is paying... WHY??? What happened to the Insurance Companies that these Tourist Traps are suppose to be required to have in place to operate Legally??  The amount of compensation paid out in recent weeks, Thailand’s tourist protection fund would run out of money if another incident where many people were injured or killed was to occur.  If the Tourist Ministry would, Stop... Look and Listen to them selves... Who are they trying to protect? Which High-So is afraid of loosing Money since they own these Companies?? This is being covered up and the Tourist Protection Fund is being made the Scape Goat... Just go up the ladder and see where the Dot's connect.

It has nothing to do with Making Tourist Purchase anything! It has 100% fault in the enforcement of regulations by the Ministries charged with the Duties to see they are followed, to Fine and Suspend Operations, revoke Licenses or just plain put out of Business the Real Reasons for these issues. They are causing Big problems because Someone is just sitting on their Ass and getting paid to do so!

The People of Thailand are not Blind, They know who the real Criminals are.... It's not the Tourists...

Believe in Karma? I think someone is getting heat because they are depleting  Government Funds, and are looking at ways to recoup... Again You want Tourists??? Watch what you touch... It may Really come to bite you.... 

Bingo! Telling it like it is. The bright light of reality instead of the usual Thai smoke and mirrors.

20 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Isn't it up to Thailand to protect tourists by implementing better health and safety laws? Talk about cop out.

Tit for tat. Health insurances are mandatory for Thais in Europe. 

20 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

64 million baht each would not have been enough yet alone divide by 47 no wonder there is no investment in safety its cheaper to pay for the dead. 

This was an unreliable, Business scam managed by Chinese under cover here...they cannot base their judging on this...as all this amount  is recoverable.   As always half baked information and inferior reporting and as I read these so called webfact news trash... I am convinced it is posted for people to react ...in not such a nice way!And how on earth would mandatory travel insurance pay out to boat victims on an over capacity boats not following appropriate protocol, weather for one.... safety regulations....boat having its own Public Liability insurance....I worked with this and first thing I asked is Copy of current Public Liability cover. 

Archived