Thai Permanent Residence Application

I am planning to apply for a PR in Thailand. I need some advise on what kind of documentation is require and procedure. Search the internet and I can only find application form dated back to 2009 

Also it will be great if anyone can advise if I am qualified to apply as I know that I don’t meet some of the requirement. Thank you! 

- 31years old

- No bachelor degree, just a diploma 

- Working here legally with a WP for 3.5yrs 

- Nov17 just receive a WP extension for another 4yrs

- Annual income 2M baht but basic pay is 60k monthly (most of my income is depend on incentive and bonus) but consecutively 3 years has been around 2M 

- Able to understand Thai  (speak, listen and read) - I believe should be around intermediate level 

- Contribute to local and international charity group since 2016 (UNICEF, CCF etc...) 

The requirement is a income is 80k baht proven by 3 years of annual income tax returns. It can be an average income it your income varies.

The best advice anybody can give is for your to check with the section that at handles permanent residency at Chaeng Wattana immigration to find out the current requirements.

Check the last few pages of this topic for more info or do a post in it to obtain recent info from those that have applied for it.

Forms and etc can be found here on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/permanent_resident_in_the_kingdom

How certain is this process? How much time start to finish? How insane is the paperwork? The percentage of successful applicants (married)? How do you prove income, tax return?

Just looking for basic answers and encouragement. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

How certain is this process? How much time start to finish? How insane is the paperwork? The percentage of successful applicants (married)? How do you prove income, tax return?

If you meet the requirements you will eventually get it. A couple years now to get it but it can take longer.

Income is proven by 3 consecutive years of tax returns.

If you are married to a Thai you could apply for Thai nationality if you can meet the requirements for PR. Only 40k baht of income for 3 years is needed.

• Like 1

IMHO, a good start would be contact a Bangkok Legal company who specializes in PR applications - they were an invaluable help in hatching my own PR issued last year.  PM me for details.

The PR-Team's paperwork demands are incessant - it's pretty much impossible to hold down a 9-5 job and take care of it all yourself.

A really important thing to take on board when considering any PR application, is that the published requirements represent the barest minimum for allowing your application to be even considered by the CW PR team.

However, in practice, all PR applications are vetted against a complex scoring scheme similar to that published for Thai Citizenship applications.

From your OP, you have so many sections that will score near minimum, that I don't think your total score will achieve the required 50 minimum points needed for a successful application.

Consider:-

• An 80K minimum salary would give minimum scoring in the salary scoring section.
    • 200K/month would be good. 300K+ a month would be even better.
    • Tax needs to be paid on this level every month for at least the last 3 years
  • No University degree would be close to minimum scoring in that section.
    • This is not something you can easily rectify.
    • The PR group see (minimum)University degree educated folk as 'desirable applicants' a Phd would score even higher.
    • Plainly, you'll need to score brilliant in other areas to correct this and other shortcomings. I'm not sure that would be possible in this instance.
  • Just 3.5 years in Thailand - would be close to minimum scoring in that section.
    • This can only be rectified by spending more time working and living here in Thailand paying tax and keeping your nose clean.
    • Most of the PR holders I know here in LOS have spent more than a decade here (TBH, more like 20 years...) before their PR applications were successful
  • Are your married? Do you have kids with a Thai Partner?
    • Marriage to a Thai and biological related(DNA tested) kids in a long stable marriage over here would help
    • The more years of marriage the better
    • More than 10 years marriage and 20+ years working in Thailand gave me the extra points needed in my case after 4 years of unsuccessful PR applications. 

I still have a copy of Arkady's post on the 2010 PR scoring system from a few years ago - it's worth reading again in this context even if a few of the grading points are a little bit out of date.

Quoting Arkady

<Start Quote>

OK. Here is the outline of the new points system.

March 2010

1 Age & Education 25

1.1 Age 10

1.2 Educational Level 15

2 Security of Profession 25

3 Residence in Thailand 20

4 Knowledge of Thai Language 15

5 General Knowledge about Thailand 10

6 Personality 5

Total 100

Before March 2010

1 Age & Education 25

1.1 Age 15

1.2 Educational Level 10

2 Security of Profession 35

2.1 Income 10

2.2 Tax Payments 25

3 Residence in Thailand 10

4 Relationships with Thailand & Thai People 10

5 Knowledge of Thai Language 10

6 Personality 10

Total 100

What has changed?

1. points for residency have increased from 10 to 20. A perfect 20 requires 10 years with all PR documents. 5 years with a tabien baan but without PR gets you the minimum of 5 points. 10 points for 5 years with PR and 15 points for 7 years with PR. (Nil for time with only non-imm visa and work permit.) I am not sure yet whether a yellow tabien baan counts here. I have a feeling that the previous guidelines specified a Thor Ror 14 (blue tabien baan) in another part of the text but I haven’t checked through the whole 34 pages yet.

2. points for Thai language have been increased from 10 to 15 and now include points for ability to read and write. You get 8 points for being able to speak and understand Thai, 2 points for being able to sing the National and Royal Anthems, 2 points for being able to read Thai and 3 points for being able to write it. Previously there were 5 points for speaking and understanding Thai and another 5 for being able to sing the two anthems.

4. points for age and education are unchanged at 25 but the emphasis has been reversed so that 15 points are awarded for education and 10 for age, while it was previously the other way round. You now get the maximum of 10 points for being aged 41 to 50, 8 for being 51 to 60, 5 for being over 60 or 31 to 40 and 2 for being 20 to 30. Education points are now: up to Mor 6 or Por Wor Chor 3 points; equivalent to Higher National Diploma or Junior College 5 points; Bachelors Degree 8 points; Masters Degree 10 points; Doctoral Degree 15 points.

5. Security of profession has been reduced from 35 to 25 points and it is now based on either monthly salary or tax paid, whereas there were previously 10 points for salary and 25 for tax paid. Max 25 points are awarded for salaries over B100k for those with no relationship with Thailand and B60k for those with Thai wives or children and graduates of Thai universities. Minimum 15 points are awarded for a salary of 80k for those with no relationship with Thailand and B40k for those who have one.

6. The 10 points for relationship with Thai people have been eliminated. 5 points used to be awarded for working in Thailand which was superfluous, since all applicants must have a job. There used to be another 3 points for having a Thai wife and 2 more for one or more Thai children. On the other hand salary requirements are still lower for those with Thai family and I think the numbers on this are unchanged.

7. The personality points have been reduced from 10 to 5. I think these are awarded after the interview with the head of the Special Branch Naturalization Office.

In conclusion it looks as if the ministry is trying to eliminate a lot of the points that most applicants could get by falling off a log and have put more emphasis on knowledge of the Thai language and Thailand and the all important permanent residency. Needless to say the test on general knowledge of Thailand is conducted in Thai and would need a pretty good knowledge of Thai. Most countries require a fairly lengthy period of residence and knowledge of the language and culture for citizenship and it is hard to fault them for these changes, although some might argue that it has become harder to accumulate the points for years of PR, since the logjam appeared in the processing of PR applications. However, I think that has to be considered as a separate and hopefully temporary issue. Probably the final pieces are falling or have fallen into place to implement the exemptions given to applicants with Thai wives in the 2008 Nationality Act. Certainly those with Thai wives are already able to opt not to sing the anthems which are now only worth 2 points anyway but it looks as if it would be a struggle for someone without PR, poor Thai and no PhD to get the minimum 50 points required. If you include the general knowledge test and the personality interview, there are now 30 points that depend on Thai language skills. Thus some one with a Thai wife but no PR, no Thai and no PhD could not score more than 45 points. However, good Thai language skills could theoretically carry some one without PR through and it is my guess that is the way they have decided to play it and who could blame them, even though knowledge of Thai is no longer required by the Nationality Act for those with Thai wives. The new requirement for the embassy certified declaration of intention to renounce existing nationality, if approved for Thai nationality, has already been discussed in this thread although it still remains unclear to me how the ministry intends to implement this. More may be revealed in the body of the text when I get round to reading it.

<End Quote>

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Bit confused by the no university degree.

He states he has a Diploma, the german Diploma is usually the equivalent of a Bachlor plus Masters degree (5 years of university). Which is more than enough for a PR.

You should tell us what you exactly have Op.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Ex Pool Doctor said:

Bit confused on the requirements for PR - according to some websites, you can apply for a PR book under "humanity" reasons category (e.g., married, supporting wife and kids, etc).

They stopped allowing them years ago on that basis alone.

Now you need to be working with a work permit with a minimum salary of 50k baht for 3 years if married to a Thai.