Major Change Eff 1 Apr 19 in Bangkok Bank ACH Transfers

53 minutes ago, Pib said:

Transferwise is probably just using the ACH IAT format to "pull" the funds from your CU.  That is Transferwise initiated the ACH pull transaction in IAT format which your CU can receive and process.  All US banks/CU can "receive" funds transmitted in IAT format or process ACH IAT "pull" transactions. 

However, I have yet to find one US bank/CU who will send funds in IAT format for a retail account like you or me would have, except for some banks that also focused towards "business" accounts and for those business account they offer ACH IAT "send" capability also.   For retail accounts banks/CU just offer ACH Domestic format and Int'l Wire (SWIFT); not ACH IAT format.

But that still doesn't explain how Transferwise can pull this off since my understanding is IAT requires the recipient's address in another country. Maybe Transferwise uses their their own address in Thailand as the recipient. There is a paper trail since my Bangkok Bank branch does have an address for me on file.

I would think all the information including sender and the final recipient address would be required at the time the transaction takes place.

2 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Here's the description field for a ACH to BBK New York. But my credit union uses POPmoney for that type of transfer as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

John Smith/RECEIVER/180515/WE B

POPmoney....that's different....that's probably not using ACH....using a POPmoney unique transfer system.

8 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Here's the description field for a ACH to BBK New York. But my credit union uses POPmoney for that type of transfer as I mentioned earlier in this thread.

John Smith/RECEIVER/180515/WE B

POPMoney is strictly U.S. domestic transfers, so it's not surprising that that transaction has no reference to IAT.  If I were a betting man, I'd be inclined to guess  toward Pib's explanation above.

39 minutes ago, ningnong said:

But that still doesn't explain how Transferwise can pull this off since my understanding is IAT requires the recipient's address in another country. Maybe Transferwise uses their their own address in Thailand as the recipient. There is a paper trail since my Bangkok Bank branch does have an address for me on file.

I would think all the information including sender and the final recipient address would be required at the time the transaction takes place.

When you send a Transferwise transfer the address you have on file with Transferwise and the recipient's address you entered to receive the transfer is encoded in the transfer information.  So, there is plenty of information contained in the ACH pull transaction and however Transferwise transmits the money to your recipient.

Plus, didn't you say you used POPMoney to fund the Transferwise transfer which implies "you initiated the transfer from your CU to Transferwise" like in using a Wire Transfer which maybe POPMoney equates to in funding the transfer.

Or did you let Transferwise accomplish an ACH Debit (i.e., ACH Pull) to fund the transfer?

I'm confused on exactly "how your funded" the Transferwise transfer.

Also, many banks/CU now offer POPMoney, Zelle, etc., type transfer services in addition to their standard ACH and Wire transfer capabilities.   Just because your CU offers POPMoney transfers does mean it was used unless "you" initiated the transfer to Transferwise from your CU ibanking using POPMoney.   But I expect instead you allowed Transferwise to initiate an ACH Debit (ACH Pull) to fund the transfer and Transferwise may use IAT format to do that which your CU can receive/process no problem.

Edited by Pib

10 hours ago, Pib said:

When you send a Transferwise transfer the address you have on file with Transferwise and the recipient's address you entered to receive the transfer is encoded in the transfer information.  So, there is plenty of information contained in the ACH pull transaction and however Transferwise transmits the money to your recipient.

Plus, didn't you say you used POPMoney to fund the Transferwise transfer which implies "you initiated the transfer from your CU to Transferwise" like in using a Wire Transfer which maybe POPMoney equates to in funding the transfer.

Or did you let Transferwise accomplish an ACH Debit (i.e., ACH Pull) to fund the transfer?

I'm confused on exactly "how your funded" the Transferwise transfer.

Also, many banks/CU now offer POPMoney, Zelle, etc., type transfer services in addition to their standard ACH and Wire transfer capabilities.   Just because your CU offers POPMoney transfers does mean it was used unless "you" initiated the transfer to Transferwise from your CU ibanking using POPMoney.   But I expect instead you allowed Transferwise to initiate an ACH Debit (ACH Pull) to fund the transfer and Transferwise may use IAT format to do that which your CU can receive/process no problem.

That's correct, it's an ACH pull by Transferwise from my CU account. The POPmoney transfers are separate transactions. I signed up with Transferwise in the event POPmoney will not work for ACH transfers to BBK New York come next April. Transferwise did the trial deposit routine to my CU account.

But I never provided my Thai address to Transferwise only my US address. All they required was my Bangkok Bank account details.

So if these transactions are truly recognized as IAT format then Transferwise must be using there own address in Thailand as the recipient (I'm assuming they maintain a Thai address) or somehow they are able to get my Thai address from Bangkok Bank in Thailand which seems unlikely. This makes me wonder if Transferwise will need to make some changes on how they do the transfers in the future.

15 hours ago, esqy said:

Soisanuk said:

The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) requires a report be filed if you are required to file a US income tax return and you have foreign assets

Does that include real estate if I buy a condo?

If you own your condo in your own name - no, you would not include it in your FATCA threshold. However, if you used a Thai Company Ltd. to purchase the condo and you own the "shares" in the company, that most likely will fall within the definition of a Foreign Financial Asset and be included in determining the threshold (likewise, if someone buys a property in a Thai person's name, but holds a "mortgage" on the property, the mortgage would most likely also be included as a financial asset.

As Pib notes after my previous post - DON'T CONFUSE FBAR with FATCA - these are two separate reports required by two separate laws.  The FBAR includes only financial accounts whereas FATCA includes those plus other "financial assets" such as stocks, bonds, financial instruments such as mortgages, etc.

If you are talking about Form 8938, it is filed with the IRS.

FBAR (FinCEN Form 114) is filed with treasury department.

A condo in your name is not a reportable asset in both forms.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/comparison-of-form-8938-and-fbar-requirements

14 hours ago, ningnong said:

After doing a recent Transferwise transfer it is curious to see in the description field at my credit union the ACH to Transferwise claims IAT format. I never provided my address in Thailand to either Transferwise or my credit union. Bangkok Bank has an old address on file. A loophole that will get closed?

The description field at my CU for the transfer:

TransferWise Inc/Smith Jo/101218 /IAT/John Smith*12345 Elm St\Mytown*CA*US*99887

Maybe there's a simple explanation?

I want to come back to your original post.  Please reexplain what address appeared on your CU description for the Transferwise transaction.  The example above you gave implies they used "your U.S. address" but then you also implied they used "your Thailand address" where you said you never provided them your address in Thailand....Bangkok Bank has my old address on file...etc

When I go back and look at what hit my U.S. bank account description for funding of our Transferwise transfers (we both have Transferwise account) if varies but it always starts off with Transferwise...and then either our full name or partial name.....and int some cases a 12 digit number that must be some Transferwise related number as it not any number associated to us like one of our bank accounts or anything.....one also has a NY code for New York which I think is probably the bank in NY that Transferwise uses to move some of its money around....etc....etc...etc.  Really no standardization in what appears in each Description other than starting off with the word Transferwise.   But in no case does the Description show our U.S. address on file with Transferwise, our Thailand address we are sending to, or just anything about our address.  And just to repeat each bank will Describe transaction differently based on coding/data in the description and bank-unique descriptive data they want to show.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I want to come back to your original post.  Please reexplain what address appeared on your CU description for the Transferwise transaction.  The example above you gave implies they used "your U.S. address" but then you also implied they used "your Thailand address" where you said you never provided them your address in Thailand....Bangkok Bank has my old address on file...etc

When I go back and look at what hit my U.S. bank account description for funding of our Transferwise transfers (we both have Transferwise account) if varies but it always starts off with Transferwise...and then either our full name or partial name.....and int some cases a 12 digit number that must be some Transferwise related number as it not any number associated to us like one of our bank accounts or anything.....one also has a NY code for New York which I think is probably the bank in NY that Transferwise uses to move some of its money around....etc....etc...etc.  Really no standardization in what appears in each Description other than starting off with the word Transferwise.   But in no case does the Description show our U.S. address on file with Transferwise, our Thailand address we are sending to, or just anything about our address.  And just to repeat each bank will Describe transaction differently based on coding/data in the description and bank-unique descriptive data they want to show.

The address in the description field at the CU is my US address. I provided my US address to Transferwise and of course the CU already knows. The format of the description field is exactly how it appears in my CU online banking including asterisks and slashes, I only changed the name and address.

The format of the description field is unique to Transferwise ACH withdrawals. Other ACH automatic withdrawals have their own format. It appears to be up to the institution doing the ACH pull how they want to format the description field. So the CU probably doesn't have anything to do with the 'IAT' in the description, that would appear to be Transferwise claiming the ACH meets IAT requirements. That is what I question since as far as I know Transferwise has no way of knowing my Thai address from over 20 years ago when I opened my current BKK Bank account.

I never provided my Thai address to either Transferwise or CU. I was implying that there may be a way that Transferwise can acquire my Thai address from Bangkok Bank itself to meet IAT requirements. But I think that would be farfetched.

OK, it appears we now agree the address info appearing in the transaction Descriptive data of your CU account is simply your US address address you have onfile with Transferwise.  Transferwise includes that data in their ACH Debit pull from your CU account and your CU displays some of that info.  Standard practice for an ACH transaction.

And yes, the IAT will either mean International ACH "Transfer" or International ACH "Transaction"...somewhat different animals...but what they are basically saying they are pulling dollars from your US account so you can send Baht internationally.   It's not really saying how Transferwise intends to get the money across the Pacific Ocean....they are probably using a Peer-to-Peering messaging system....maybe even SWIFT in some cases for some countries....but the sender don't care....he just wants the money to arrive....and Trasnferwise 

I'm still somewhat confused/not sure about what you are trying to say about you never provided your "Thai address" to Transferwise or your CU and why that is an issue. 

If you are saying, "Well, since this new IAT format stuff requires the address/phone number of the "recipient" in the foreign country, I have not been providing that info on my transfers to myself....to my Bangkok Bank account in Thailand" but the transfers have been arriving no problem. 

Yes, I believe you...because on my first Transferwise transfer to my Bangkok Bank account I was still learning the Transferwise system to create a transfer link/initiate a transfer and recipient's address shown was the US address I have onfile with Transferwise; not the Thai address I have onfile with Bangkok Bank.

And here is why that occurred.  When you create/initiate a transfer you can set it up as "Your Accounts" or "Your Recipients."   If you do it as "Your Accounts" from the get-go it doesn't ask you to enter the recipient's name/address/phone number because it assumes that bank account (your bank account) has the same name/address/phone that you have onfile with Transferwise.  And when you look at the Transferwise receipt you'll see the Sender and Recipient's name/address/phone is the same and the one your have onfile with Transferwise.  

However, even though the account you are sending to in Thailand is yours, if you initially complete the transfer link as a recipient but not clicking the selection of "My Account" you can enter the "Thai" address/phone number you have on file with your Thai bank.   

After that first transfer to my Bangkok Bank account that showed my US address onfile with Transferwise and instead wanted it to show the Thai address I had onfile with Bangkok Bank. I deleted the transfer link I had setup.  Then I recreated it (just takes a minute) like I was sending to someone else which gives you a chance to enter that info....then click save...but then to put in up under the area in Transferwise that says "Your Accounts" you then just click another icon to recode it as such, but it retains your Thai address/phone number info for the recipient instead of using your address you have onfile with Transferwise.

Since you are suppose to identify the person/address/phone number of the person receiving the money and assuming it's you sending yourself money then when you setup that Transferwise transfer link you should enter the Thai address/phone number info which is suppose to match what you have on file with your Thai bank. 

If a Transferwise transfer was truly seen as an incoming international transfer having the address info match the address info onfile with your Thai bank could make the difference between it being accepted or rejected.  However, since the final leg of a Transferwise transfer is supposedly done as a domestic transfer the receiving Thai bank don't care about an address match...it's gladly accepted as any other domestic transfer although it might get coded an an international transfer.

And yes, I know Bangkok Bank uses Descriptive Data of "International Transfer" for a Transferwise transfer...but when sending to my Krungsri Bank account it does not say that and instead just has a long alpha/number string in the Descriptive data.  From other TV posters sending to various Thai banks it seems the Descriptive data used by Thai banks vary....just like for a US banks/CUs.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:10 AM, Pib said:

When you create/initiate a transfer you can set it up as "Your Accounts" or "Your Recipients."   If you do it as "Your Accounts" from the get-go it doesn't ask you to enter the recipient's name/address/phone number because it assumes that bank account (your bank account) has the same name/address/phone that you have onfile with Transferwise.  And when you look at the Transferwise receipt you'll see the Sender and Recipient's name/address/phone is the same and the one your have onfile with Transferwise.  

However, even though the account you are sending to in Thailand is yours, if you initially complete the transfer link as a recipient but not clicking the selection of "My Account" you can enter the "Thai" address/phone number you have on file with your Thai bank.   

After that first transfer to my Bangkok Bank account that showed my US address onfile with Transferwise and instead wanted it to show the Thai address I had onfile with Bangkok Bank. I deleted the transfer link I had setup.  Then I recreated it (just takes a minute) like I was sending to someone else which gives you a chance to enter that info....then click save...but then to put in up under the area in Transferwise that says "Your Accounts" you then just click another icon to recode it as such, but it retains your Thai address/phone number info for the recipient instead of using your address you have onfile with Transferwise.

Since you are suppose to identify the person/address/phone number of the person receiving the money and assuming it's you sending yourself money then when you setup that Transferwise transfer link you should enter the Thai address/phone number info which is suppose to match what you have on file with your Thai bank. 

If a Transferwise transfer was truly seen as an incoming international transfer having the address info match the address info onfile with your Thai bank could make the difference between it being accepted or rejected.  However, since the final leg of a Transferwise transfer is supposedly done as a domestic transfer the receiving Thai bank don't care about an address match...it's gladly accepted as any other domestic transfer although it might get coded an an international transfer.

Thanks for the clarification. I just set up a new recipient at Transferwise and was able to input their Thailand address.

And a big thanks for all the helpful information you've provided throughout this thread.

To follow up on my post from last August concerning Fidelity. I was able to file a wire authorization form with them in person, at one of their branches in the US, which required a Medallion signature verification. It took them 2 weeks to process the paperwork. Yesterday I made two test transfers, the first from Fidelity to Bangkok Bank and the second from my US checking account to Bangkok Bank using Transferwise.

The Fidelity transfer arrived this morning, about 10 hours after I placed the order over the phone. I received BKK Bank's 8:30 AM TT buy rate, minus a 200 baht fee. No originating fees of any kind. 

Transferwise advised that their funds will arrive on Monday, for an expected total 200 baht less then Fidelity (using the ACH method from the source bank to TW.)

Each transfer was 2,000 USD.

I am very happy with Fidelity's service. Although I would prefer not having to call, they make things easy through automated voice verification. All that is required, after the first call, are your ID and password. Skype keeps the cost down and is sufficiently clear, at least from my area. The transfer speed is amazing vs. the BKK Bank New York method requiring a couple of days.

What I like about Transferwise is that they tell you up front how much you will receive, which allows you to decide if it makes sense to use them. Otherwise, it is a bit more complicated since you need to choose how to transfer the source funds to TW. The best rates (higher baht amount received) involve a wire transfer, but given the probable cost, plus the added complication of setting it up, discouraged me from choosing this option. ACH is automatic and painless. TW does require your ID and password for the remitting bank account, which, IMHO could leave you exposed to potential security breaches.

To summarize, for anyone with a Fidelity account, the loss of the Bangkok Bank New York ACH method is of little or no consequence.

Transferwise, given the extra couple of days and slightly lower amount received, could be a good backup solution. If your source bank dosen't charge for domestic wires, and allows you to order one online, and you don't mind the added complication, then TW could be the best option.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PFV said:

To follow up on my post from last August concerning Fidelity. I was able to file a wire authorization form with them in person, at one of their branches in the US, which required a Medallion signature verification. It took them 2 weeks to process the paperwork. Yesterday I made two test transfers, the first from Fidelity to Bangkok Bank and the second from my US checking account to Bangkok Bank using Transferwise.

The Fidelity transfer arrived this morning, about 10 hours after I placed the order over the phone. I received BKK Bank's 8:30 AM TT buy rate, minus a 200 baht fee. No originating fees of any kind. 

Transferwise advised that their funds will arrive on Monday, for an expected total 200 baht less then Fidelity (using the ACH method from the source bank to TW.)

Each transfer was 2,000 USD.

I am very happy with Fidelity's service. Although I would prefer not having to call, they make things easy through automated voice verification. All that is required, after the first call, are your ID and password. Skype keeps the cost down and is sufficiently clear, at least from my area. The transfer speed is amazing vs. the BKK Bank New York method requiring a couple of days.

What I like about Transferwise is that they tell you up front how much you will receive, which allows you to decide if it makes sense to use them. Otherwise, it is a bit more complicated since you need to choose how to transfer the source funds to TW. The best rates (higher baht amount received) involve a wire transfer, but given the probable cost, plus the added complication of setting it up, discouraged me from choosing this option. ACH is automatic and painless. TW does require your ID and password for the remitting bank account, which, IMHO could leave you exposed to potential security breaches.

To summarize, for anyone with a Fidelity account, the loss of the Bangkok Bank New York ACH method is of little or no consequence.

Transferwise, given the extra couple of days and slightly lower amount received, could be a good backup solution. If your source bank dosen't charge for domestic wires, and allows you to order one online, and you don't mind the added complication, then TW could be the best option.

You live abroad permanently? Fidelity knows it and is OK with it? And/or can you provide information on what addresses they have for you (U.S. and/or abroad)? For the signature thing did you have a driver's license or was a passport acceptable? 

8 minutes ago, PFV said:

You can use your US debit card of the bank to transfer but it has daily and monthly limits. Username and password has very high limits (I have transferred 15K USD at a time )

I transferred $1,500 Transferwise and $2,000 ACH Bangkok Bank at 0800 on 31st (Bangkok time).  Both arrived on 1st.  ACH at 1200 and TW at 1400.  TW effective exchange rate (amount sent/rcvd in account less all fees) 32.925.  ACH Bangkok Bank rate 32.717

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

I transferred $1,500 Transferwise and $2,000 ACH Bangkok Bank at 0800 on 31st (Bangkok time).  Both arrived on 1st.  ACH at 1200 and TW at 1400.  TW effective exchange rate (amount sent/rcvd in account less all fees) 32.925.  ACH Bangkok Bank rate 32.717

Of the five Transferwise transfers the wife and I have done to our Bangkok Bank accounts each one arrived at 2:02pm per our ibanking and two minutes later well got the Bangkok Bank SMS at 2:04pm.  Still got those SMSs....all five with a 2:04pm time. 

And the one Transferwise transfer I did to my Krungsri account I got that SMS at 1:33pm.  I'm sure I'll do another one in the future...will be interesting to see if posts a 1:33pm also if it follows the Bangkok Bank trend of identical times for certain banks.

Appears Transferwise likes to make the final leg of the transfer which is supposedly a domestic transfer occur in the 1:30pm-2:30pm period for Thai banks.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You live abroad permanently? Fidelity knows it and is OK with it? And/or can you provide information on what addresses they have for you (U.S. and/or abroad)? For the signature thing did you have a driver's license or was a passport acceptable? 

Yes, I live in Thailand almost permanently. Fidelity knows it, but are OK with my US address (friend's home). I used my US driver's license for ID, and my wife (NRA, Thai) used her Thai passport since we have a joint account.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, onera1961 said:

You can use your US debit card of the bank to transfer but it has daily and monthly limits. Username and password has very high limits (I have transferred 15K USD at a time )

I did notice that option as well, too bad my US bank cancelled my debit card due to lack of use.

Edited by PFV

5 minutes ago, PFV said:

I did notice that option as well, too bad my US bank cancelled my debit card due to lack of use.

What kind of bank does that?  We have a card that has not been used for over 20 years - bank is happy to get their yearly fee.  

Edit:  perhaps you mean account has not been used?

Edited by lopburi3

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

What kind of bank does that?  We have a card that has not been used for over 20 years - bank is happy to get their yearly fee.  

US Bank (USbancorp) in Colorado.

They even sent me an e-mail advising me to use the card within x number of days or face cancellation.

They had previously done the same with a credit card.

The account is used every month to pay the CCs that I use here in Thailand and on Amazon, with regular deposits from various sources, but it had been a few years since I used the debit/ATM since from Thailand they charged extra fees. 

11 minutes ago, PFV said:

US Bank (USbancorp) in Colorado.

They even sent me an e-mail advising me to use the card within x number of days or face cancellation.

They had previously done the same with a credit card.

The account is used every month to pay the CCs that I use here in Thailand and on Amazon, with regular deposits from various sources, but it had been a few years since I used the debit/ATM since from Thailand they charged extra fees. 

Amazing - mine is 1st Bank Colorado and have never had any issues with them.  

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You pay an annual fee for a US "debit" card?   I've never had to pay an annual fee for a US "debit" card.  

Plus, one time when my St Farm debit cards (i.e, for the wife and I) were coming up for renewal since the wife had not used her's since last renewed they sent a letter several month before the renewal date saying the card would be cancelled/not renewed if not used at least once for an ATM or purchase. 

So, she used it to pay for a groceries purchase.....and several months later when our renewed cards were suppose to arrive her's arrived also. 

So, at least with St Farm....use it once between the issue and renewal date or they will not renew it.  Now I'm sure to get another one just requires a phone call.

And I think when I was still with Bank of America and I didn't use their debit card here in Thailand (didn't want to with it 3% foreign transaction fee)...nor did I use it for anything else like paying for an Ebay buy....and I didn't get replacement come renewal time...and they didn't send any advance warning letter either.   I really didn't care as they were no longer my primary bank and I had been planning to cancel the account anyway which I did about a year later.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

$10 a year for two cards.

Which is why, as you previously mentioned, they don't cancel...happy to collect their annual fee. I too had a debit card canceled due to lack of use, but there was no annual fee.  

I have been in contact with SSA Manila, and they are not really helpful about the IAT format issure in regards to Social Security direct deposit. They have heard nothing  about this from Baltimore head office and seem unable to even advise whether or not the IAT format is being used. I suggest that as many people as possible contact them and maybe they will look into it. Some posts say Social Security benefits will not be affected but so far I find no information to support that.

Edited by mhortig
missing word

46 minutes ago, mhortig said:

I have been in contact with SSA Manila, and they are not really helpful about the IAT format issure in regards to Social Security direct deposit. They have heard nothing  about this from Baltimore head office and seem unable to even advise whether or not the IAT format is being used. I suggest that as many people as possible contact them and maybe they will look into it. Some posts say Social Security benefits will not be affected but so far I find no information to support that.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1055304-social-security/?page=3

Myself and a couple of other posters have called up the NY office of Bank of Bangkok and asked them.  I'm IAT another poster was not.  A lot of info about it on Thai Visa.  You can find out at your local branch of Bangkok Bank by looking at the deposit from SSA.  I wouldn't bother with Manila. 

As confusing as it all is, earlier this week I was told by a BKK officer that come April 1, 2019 the NYC branch will no longer accept any deposits for Personal Accounts, ach, IAT or not, direct deposit or not. A couple of days later, I called again and at my request was connected with another bank officer who said the same thing. They both emphasized that the NYC branch is a commercial branch and beginning in April will only service commercial accounts.

As confusing as it all is, earlier this week I was told by a BKK officer that come April 1, 2019 the NYC branch will no longer accept any deposits for Personal Accounts, ach, IAT or not, direct deposit or not. A couple of days later, I called again and at my request was connected with another bank officer who said the same thing. They both emphasized that the NYC branch is a commercial branch and beginning in April will only service commercial accounts.
Wow. That would be big news. Hmm.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app