Major Change Eff 1 Apr 19 in Bangkok Bank ACH Transfers

Seems if that is true they would have updated their webpage first before letting reps give such info over hte phone. Still no change from looking at it a few minutes ago.  They still say come 1 Apr 19 ACH transfers will need to be in IAT format or they will be rejected.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

They know and one of the officers even mentioned it that most if any US banks have not adopted IAT. Both Chase and BofA say that it may happen in a year or two.
Oh I think I get the point of confusion now. Yes we knew already the vast majority of USA banks would not be sending in IAT format. Not news!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Tariya said:

They know and one of the officers even mentioned it that most if any US banks have not adopted IAT. Both Chase and BofA say that it may happen in a year or two.

What do you mean by "They know...?"

US banks have adopted IAT format since 2009.  They can "receive" IAT format no problem.  However, for "retail accounts" like for you and me I do not know of one US bank/credit union that offers IAT "sending" capability....they only offer regular ACH sending capability (a.k.a., domestic format) and International Wire (a.k.a., SWIFT).  SWIFT is a real cash cow for banks/credit unions.

But some banks that also offer "business" account do offer IAT sending capability for their business account customers as some businesses use ACH "IAT" format to payment foreign companies, foreign payroll, etc.

Are you sure you understood for the NY branch reps were saying?  I would call the NY branch tonight using my US VOIP number but my AIS Fibre line it down....some AIS folks working in the moobaan messed of several lines at 4pm today....won't be fixed until tomorrow mid day.  I'm using a DTAC connection right now.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

What do you mean by "They know...?"

US banks have adopted IAT format since 2009.  They can "receive" IAT format no problem.  However, for "retail accounts" like for you and me I do not know of one US bank/credit union that offers IAT "sending" capability....they only offer regular ACH sending capability (a.k.a., domestic format) and International Wire (a.k.a., SWIFT).  SWIFT is a real cash cow for banks/credit unions.

But some banks that also offer "business" account do offer IAT sending capability for their business account customers as some businesses use ACH "IAT" format to payment foreign companies, foreign payroll, etc.

Are you sure you understood for the NY branch reps were saying?  I would call the NY branch tonight using my US VOIP number but my AIS Fibre line it down....some AIS folks working in the moobaan messed of several lines at 4pm today....won't be fixed until tomorrow mid day.  I'm using a DTAC connection right now.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I wrote. It was this: I talked to two different Bangkok Bank officers in Bangkok. They both affirmed: After April 1, the NYC branch will "not" accept transfers from what you call "retail" accounts, period. The only way to transfer funds from a US "retail" account to a Bangkok Bank account will be by Swift directly to the Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. That's what they said.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goldbear said:

Too bad. I opened a Bangkok Bank account in April so that I can do these transfers. I've only done one transfer. Oh well. 

Nothing to fret about. TransferWise...just as good, if not actually better. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tariya said:

Bangkok Bank officers in Bangkok.

That part was not clear in OP and I suspect is cause for concern - Bangkok Bank officers often do not know what is policy in their own city, much less so another country, so would not press the panic button too fast.  SS and other government deposits would likely not be classified as retail accounts.

4 minutes ago, Tariya said:

Sorry if you misunderstood what I wrote. It was this: I talked to two different Bangkok Bank officers in Bangkok. They both affirmed: After April 1, the NYC branch will "not" accept transfers from what you call "retail" accounts, period. The only way to transfer funds from a US "retail" account to a Bangkok Bank account will be by Swift directly to the Bangkok Bank account in Thailand. That's what they said.

I hear what you are saying but I'm going to stay on the side of the fence that you had a English-Thai miscommunications with the Bangkok Bank reps you talked to. 

If Bangkok Bank stopped receiving all ACH transfers, IAT format or domestic format, that means even U.S. govt payments being sent in IAT format (like some Social Security payments) would also be rejected come 1 Apr 19.   They would definitely announced that in a major release on their website and it would be an a major, major change from their earlier major release on their website and in letters handed out at bank branches that come 1 Apr 19 only ACH transfers in IAT format will be accepted.....still gladly accept ACH transfers but must be in IAT format. 

Their NY branch has always been a commercial branch but they allowed ACH payments/transfers to be routed thru them using their ABA/ACH routing number.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pib said:

I hear what you are saying but I'm going to stay on the side of the fence that you had a English-Thai miscommunications with the Bangkok Bank reps you talked to. 

If Bangkok Bank stopped receiving all ACH transfers, IAT format or domestic format, that means even U.S. govt payments being sent in IAT format (like some Social Security payments) would also be rejected come 1 Apr 19.   They would definitely announced that in a major release on their website and it would be an a major, major change from their earlier major release on their website and in letters handed out at bank branches that come 1 Apr 19 only ACH transfers in IAT format will be accepted.....still gladly accept ACH transfers but must be in IAT format. 

Their NY branch has always been a commercial branch but they allowed ACH payments/transfers to be routed thru them using their ABA/ACH routing number.  

I think I answered similarly to another poster in a different thread earlier today.

BKKB NY is only stopping handling domestic ACH transfers. They're saying they will continue to accept IATs (International ACH formatted transfers) through the New York branch. The problem is, U.S. retail bank customers don't really have the ability to sent IATs from their accounts at present. So in effect, for the typical customer, they're really, effectively stopping customer-generated transfers, period.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 5:46 PM, cycolista said:

I'm curious, how long does a transfer take using Transferwise?

A month or so ago, I helped a friend setup a Bangkok Bank account. I found out same day that he could not use BBNY ACH routing as a new account holder.  He tried it anyway despite my info. It failed.  Next I suggested TransferWise ... he got through the setup phase with some trouble (but he has constant tecnology problems - nothing unusual). After two transfers from California banks - the the third transfer time went from 2.5 days to 1.5 days. He felt the fees were reasonable.

• Like 1

It was mentioned earlier that TransferWise could withdraw money via a Bank Debit Card.  This method could be handy in a pinch.  But plead note TransferWise can only do transfers through MasterCard / Visa Debit Cards - not other debit cards such as Amex or Discover 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RHarris said:

Some great info here on this issue that will affect a lot of people; thank you all.  Pib and the others; thanks for your contributions here. I have learned much.  Thanks Pib, especially for bringing to my attention the mystery of why some expat's SSI direct deposits are IAT, and some are domestic.  It led me to think about this further, as I am currently in the process of changing my direct deposit accounts with the SSA.  And I noticed something:

It isn't to do with addresses.  It's the way Bangkok Bank processes your paperwork when you first open a direct deposit acc. or change to a new one.  When you apply, in Thailand, for a U.S. SSI direct deposit account the Thai bank (in Thailand) fill out a 1199A form they keep on hand, which is the standard U.S. gov 'Direct Deposit Signup Form.'  

Section 1 is filled out by the payee.  Section 2 is filled out by the payee or financial institution.  Section 3 is to be filled out by the Banking institution.. that's where the problem is, and that's where IAT or domestic will come in:  I've found some banks (like my old branch up in Udon Thani) fill the main part in section 3: 'Name and address of financial institution' .. with the Bangkok Bank Public Co. Limited, New York City.  And not the local Thai branch or your local bank, where you will receive your money!

If they fill out Section of the 1199A this way, it will be processed by SSA as 'domestic!'  As 'New York' is domestic.. What you want to happen is to ensure that your bank branch in Thailand, where you might apply or change your direct deposit acc., fills this part of section 3 in with the their local Thai branch address, in Thailand, and Not use the New York address!  .. like they did with mine up in Udon, when I first applied!

I just got off the phone after a 2 hr. call to Baltimore with the SSA Office of International Operations, where I found out my account is Not IAT, but indeed domestic.  I have long moved and am now changing my direct deposit acc. to my new location farther south.

After leaving the bank branch just yesterday with my new acc. no. and a copy of my 1199A, I see they too, same as 2 years back in Udon, filled in section 3 using the New York Bangkok Bank address along with the routing no., which stays same..  SSA in Baltimore told me to go back and have them change section 3 to reflect the local Thai branch address, as per IAT requirements.  Then they will have the correct local foreign branch address.  So, back to the bank tomorrow.  Then I will fax this to Baltimore as instructed, and hope for the best..

So, to anyone who is changing accounts, or starting a new one.. hope this helps.. and good luck to us all!

Good crossfeed...thanks.  Question: did the Baltimore SS rep tell you that use of the NY branch address was "definitely, without a doubt" the problem?  Or, was it more along the lines of it's probably....it could be the problem, how IAT is for foreign banks, etc. 

I will say from looking at one of the SSA POMS (POMS is what the SSA call their internal regulations/instructions) that I stumbled across once they system will reject IAT setup if the address is not foreign but it was kinda unclear as to what address they were talking about....the person's residential address, mailing address, or bank address.  I will try to stumble across that POMS again today.

Also, may I ask who you talked to at Baltimore and the FAX number you are going to use to fax the form back.

I truly hope this is the answer but I have some concerns.  When a person applies for a SS pension with Manila they may not even require a 1199A be provided to them....they just ask for the routing number and account number during the phone call interview....they could care less about a bank's or one of it's branches address as the SSA already has a address loaded for any and all ABA/ACH "routing numbers." 

Kinda like how most US bank ibanking systems work....just enter the routing number of your bank and it automatically finds/inserts the bank's address...or don't even care about an address. 

When my family member who recently started receiving a SS pension (but not in IAT format) the rep asked for the routing and accounting number during the phone interview but later also asked for a 1199 to be mailed to Manila...they probably just wanted it for filing purposes....and it was not used as the routing number and account number had already been provided during the phone interview.   Went to local Bangkok Bank branch to get the 1199A which is the branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building in Bangkok and the person who completed the 1199A was the very Point of Contact on the HQ Bangkok Bank letter for this IAT issue....a Ms Supatra Phetchai.  And on that 1199A was the NY branch address....the address link to the routing number in Section 3.   

But I do know Khun Sapatra and Bangkok Bank as a whole didn't know why some folks SS payments arrive in IAT format and others don't.   Maybe those 1199A's submitted with a local branch address are the ones which are arriving in IAT format and those with the NY branch address or SSA just took your routing number over the phone with no request for bank address are the ones not being sent in IAT format.  

I may take my family member to our branch and see if I can talk to Ms Supatra again (I know I can if she's in....great lady) and ask her about this...and just ask her to complete another 1199A using the branch's address in Section 3 vs the NY branch address.  And then mail it to Baltimore with a memo attached saying Yes, I know you will see the routing number and account number have not changed but the branch's address is "foreign" so please update you system to send payment via IAT.   I would also attached the Bankgok Bank letter talking the problem.

Yea, if you could give the Baltimore POC info by PM or whatever, it would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• Like 1

If you have a US SSA direct deposit, the FIRST CONCERN is to find out if you are set up for IAT format or not.  The easy way is to go direct to your Bangkok Bank branch. Have them pull up your accounts on their computer, then pull up the most recent direct deposit transaction. They can then pull up details of that transaction. On the details page look on the right had side toward the middle of the page, there are some codes.  If you see IAT-Th, then you are OK. Your direct deposit is in the correct format and will continue as normal after April 1, 2019.  Not all SSA direct deposits are in IAT format.  Apparently some direct deposits were set up incorrectly (see preceding post) so you may not be OK. Your best recourse would be as per the above post and call SSA Baltimore.  I have talked with SSA in Manilla and they won't even bother to check what the format is, let alone assist with correcting it.  Bangkok Bank New York also will only tell you to talk to SSA and not even check your format for you.

• Like 1

So far have been unsuccessful in trying to get answers from my local BBK bank branch. When I asked for details of my latest incoming transaction from SS Admin. I was given an inquiry record but it did not have any code resembling IAT or PDD.  I am wondering if it would behoove me to open a new account here and then submit a new Form 1199A to the Manila office to indicate that my direct deposit is being sent to Bangkok Bank at my local branches address.   Previously I did contact the   SSA via Manila but they were of no help, only advising me to contact my bank to ensure that they have the correct info for me.

Any thoughts on this course of action? 

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

As a possible alternative?  Many of the posts is this thread are suggestions for other services.

All well and good, however the original post was trying to find out how will the new changes affect ACH transfers via Bangkok bank New York. It was not asking for alternatives it was asking for answers re: ACH transfers.  It becomes close to a thread highjack when the conversation strays off topic to an alternate subject I.E.  alternatives for other services. The original post was seeking info re: ACH transfers via Bangkok Bank  New York.

7 hours ago, Thailand J said:

Good news for existing SSA accounts. Sadly  Bangkok Bank has stopped accepting new links  to US banks for EFT's. Will they accept new accounts to receive SSA now that the ACH/IAT issue can be resolved?

I am not sure what you are saying; could you please elaborate?   What is the aforementioned "good news for existing SSA accounts"? What does it mean " Bangkok Bank has stopped accepting new links to US banks for EFT's"?

When IDD actually becomes available for a country like Thailand, the below SSA POMS talks how the signup normally occurs.   A POMS document is kinda part policy and part detailed/technical instructions for SSA folks to follow.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402205

Program Operations Manual System (POMS)

Effective Dates: 04/09/2018 - PresentPrevious | Next

TN 99 (04-18)

GN 02402.205 Direct Deposit Enrollment Outside of the United States

A. Direct Deposit Mass Enrollment

Special mass enrollment operations occur the first year international direct deposit (IDD) is available in a particular country. Mass enrollment also occurs when the Regional Federal Benefits Officer (RFBO) wants to increase direct deposit use. During mass enrollment, beneficiaries residing in a particular country receive:

• • an enrollment form designed for that country;
  • • a pre-addressed return envelope; and
  • • a message describing the benefits of direct deposit and the contact information for direct deposit changes or problems.

A beneficiary can find out more information about IDD on our website or by sending a request for information to:

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings and International Operations 
Division of International Operations
P.O. Box 17769
Baltimore, Maryland 21235-7769
USA

B. General Enrollment Of Direct Deposit

Beneficiaries must submit IDD requests via a signup form developed for that country or any document containing required banking information. IDD enrollment forms are available for each country. For more information, see GN 02402.220D.

Technicians in the federal benefits unit (FBU) can print an IDD enrollment form for a beneficiary upon request. The beneficiary completes the form and submits the form to the FBU or the Office of Earnings and International Operations (OEIO) for processing.

Processing components input the direct deposit data on the beneficiary’s Title II record that are not a part of mass enrollments. The processing component offices are:

• • the FBU,
  • • a border field office (FO), or
  • • OEIO.

C. Obtaining Direct Deposit Information For Initial Claims

During the initial claim interview, the FBU or border FO obtains direct deposit information when:

• • IDD is available in the country of residence; and
  • • the beneficiary has an account at a financial institution (FI) in an IDD country or the United States.

The technician codes the information and includes it within the initial claims package using the procedure provided in the chart.

If

Then

the beneficiary has either an account at an FI in an IDD country with that country’s currency or an account at a United States FI

• •Obtain and code the direct deposit information.
  • •Ask the applicant to notify us of an account or residence change in the future.

the beneficiary does not have an account

Explain the benefits of having IDD.

D. References

• • GN 02402.001 Direct Deposit as a Form of Electronic Payment
  • • GN 02402.005 Direct Deposit Information for All Types of Interviews
  • • GN 02402.200 List of International Direct Deposit (IDD) Countries
  • • GN 02402.201 Background and Policy for Direct Deposit Outside the United States
  • GN 02402.220 Updating International Direct Deposit to the Master Beneficiary Record (MBR)

To Link to this section - Use this URL: 
http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0202402205
GN 02402.205 - Direct Deposit Enrollment Outside of the United States - 04/09/2018
Batch run: 04/09/2018
Rev:04/09/2018
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2018 at 1:50 PM, JDGRUEN said:

It was mentioned earlier that TransferWise could withdraw money via a Bank Debit Card.  This method could be handy in a pinch.  But plead note TransferWise can only do transfers through MasterCard / Visa Debit Cards - not other debit cards such as Amex or Discover 

Does Transferwise only use cards issued in England or SEPA?

"We can only accept payments from locally issued cards, so for example GBPcards must be issued in the UK, EUR cards must be issued in the SEPA area etc. Like a bank transfer, the money must come from your own bank account. So, the name on your card must match the name on your TransferWise account".

Edited by riclag

36 minutes ago, riclag said:

See page 4

P. 4 does not answer the question. If you are referring to post 46 that link is dead. I have been following this thread since its inception and have not seen any reference to why this BBL change in policy at this time. Wondering if this is a result of the class action suit of 2014 in NY.

With effective from April 1, 2019, New York branch only process ACH with appropriate IAT format and all non-IAT transactions will be returned.     

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch