Pattaya testing speed-trap cameras

Rimmer

Pattaya testing speed-trap cameras

image.png

PATTAYA:--Pattaya has begun testing speed-trap cameras on city streets.

Two cameras on North Road, on opposite sides near the intersection with Phettrakul Road, are now operational. The cameras automatically snap photos of the license plates of vehicles that run the red light or speed through the intersection.

Police said the cameras could also be of use in capturing license plates of vehicles used in crimes.

If successful, the cameras could be installed elsewhere around the city.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-07-27

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed two more ,  one I can't remember where it was now ( maybe beach road)

but  there is one on Thappraya road  (facing down hill) seems to be watching this U-turn

( too new to be on the google map streetview)

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9082948,100.8688704,3a,75y,182.21h,88.08t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s8tiG0dXIIN5rvJ9WZkPVaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i50

Also no speed limit signs..is it 60 KPh or 40 Kph...or maybe 80 KPh ?????  before you'll get a speeding ticket.

Supposedly the default speed limit on urban streets is 80kph. There is a proposal being discussed to lower that nationally to 60kph.

There is a new law specific to Bangkok which applies a limit of 50kph that just went into effect.

48 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

great idea , now all you gotta do is get all the vehicles registered. 

And make sure the plates are not fake, haven't updated their address like 20 years ago, and most of all, to get the drivers to give a damn and pay the fines.. good luck guys, it looks like someone got a good deal on a speed cameras and decided to buy them and make a nice commission on top...

It is probably a forlorn hope that these cameras are accurate. On Highway 2 between Muak Lek and Saraburi there are multiple sets of cameras linked to signs that display your speed, they often display ridiculous figure erring by anything up to 20 kph. I suspect that the problem could be that are 3 or 4 lanes on this road in each direction.

Red light cameras will be a money-maker. Most people are happier with them than speed-control cameras because people can imagine themselves being T-Boned by one of theses all to common red light runners...

29 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

But traditionalist's remained old skool in No plate obscuring .. 

IMG_20180727_080221.jpg

Both photos made me laugh but the TV like system seems to be throwing a wobbly.

Now in working order.

many towns in Florida (my former) have thrown out this system. some judges automatically summarily dismiss any tickets resulting from "red light cameras".  Seems the system is basically a money grab for the towns and company that installs, manages, and issues tickets (from the cameras). Seems citizens became irate and made it known.

get ticky in mail (or not) and it's on your record, and who do you argue with that it was in error? call the camera into court?

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

The cameras automatically snap photos of the license plates of vehicles that run the red light or speed through the intersection.

Can they do both? I thought it needed to be one or the other..........

15 minutes ago, topt said:

Can they do both? I thought it needed to be one or the other..........

There are a few variations on the types of camera used at intersections.

The camera can be set to record any car in any lane at the intersection.

The speeding sensor can trigger it, and the red light activation triggers it.

Basically it takes a photo immediately after every red light change when the sensor is triggered, and also takes a photo at any time whenever the speed sensor is triggered.

2 cameras means both lanes are covered - one camera means one lane.

But they can put two cameras inside the one box - actually they can put up to 4 (in the models I was involved in - IT company).

31 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

many towns in Florida (my former) have thrown out this system. some judges automatically summarily dismiss any tickets resulting from "red light cameras".  Seems the system is basically a money grab for the towns and company that installs, manages, and issues tickets (from the cameras). Seems citizens became irate and made it known.

get ticky in mail (or not) and it's on your record, and who do you argue with that it was in error? call the camera into court?

This is about Pattaya, not Florida.

There are 2 on Thappraya Road in front of Sugar Hut in both directions (just installed yesterday) and 2 more on Thepprasit Road near the Weekend market. 

Its 's easy to install those cams but the biggest problem will be to keep them well maintained. Let's see.

10 minutes ago, woody622954 said:

Speed limits in Thailand are:

Town and city: 60 km/h
Open Roads: 90 km/h
Motorways: 120 km/h

So Sukhumvit, running through Pattaya, a multi lane highway, probably classed as an interstate highway would be 60 or 90km/h?

1 hour ago, woody622954 said:

Speed limits in Thailand are:

Town and city: 60 km/h
Open Roads: 90 km/h
Motorways: 120 km/h

Town and city: 60 km/h ?

Never seen a sign anywhere.

It's 80 everywhere.

Another great idea. 

These are outlawed in many states in the US after they found that they increased the number of accidents rather than reduced them. 

People were so afraid of getting a ticket that they’d lock up theirs brakes when the light turned yellow, get rear ended and then pushed out into the intersection to maybe be hit by another car. 

In Minnesota, the state even ended up refunding the money people paid for tickets. T 

Archived