Rimmer

2 hours ago, woody622954 said:

Speed limits in Thailand are:

Town and city: 60 km/h
Open Roads: 90 km/h
Motorways: 120 km/h

Most streets inside Pattaya have a 50 km/h limit

A few important streets - such as Beach Road - have a 40 km/h limit

and big limit signs painted on the road.

They also installed this speed system on South Road (aka Pattaya Tai),

at the intersection with Soi Khopai

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong part of Thailand, I know, but if anyone is driving the At Narong/Ram Intra expressway in Bangkok, be aware that there are now 13 speed cameras on the expressway between the Sukhapiban 5 on-ramp and the Phattanakarn exit inbound, and 7 on the same stretch outbound . They are not the usual big grey boxes - these are mounted on the top-left corner of most of the steel gantries across the road, with a square black radar unit (K Band) above and a small camera taking the pics, similar but not identical to those in the pic on this story. My trusty detector hasn't found too many on other expressways around the capital yet (there are a few), but they're certainly doing a major trial on this stretch of road, and they're extremely strong radar guns, out to almost a kilometre with maximum strength at about 100 metres from the gantry.

6 hours ago, talay view said:

They are not all situated at Traffic Lights Treppasit Rd at Soi Kopai for instance,I think they are lane changing Traps

Also seen the in The country roads with no traffic light in view.

Speed or changing lane ?! Anyway they will record the rear of the cars.

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Most streets inside Pattaya have a 50 km/h limit

A few important streets - such as Beach Road - have a 40 km/h limit

and big limit signs painted on the road.

They also installed this speed system on South Road (aka Pattaya Tai),

at the intersection with Soi Khopai

So they are installed at 4 spots ?

- Tappraya

- Teprasit

- North pattaya

- South pattaya

Is it correct ?!

all about speed or lane change ? Can they do both ?!

50km limit around Pattaya ? Where is the sign ? it's 80 everywhere, so why not at Pattaya also ?

1 hour ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Wrong part of Thailand, I know, but if anyone is driving the At Narong/Ram Intra expressway in Bangkok, be aware that there are now 13 speed cameras on the expressway between the Sukhapiban 5 on-ramp and the Phattanakarn exit inbound, and 7 on the same stretch outbound . They are not the usual big grey boxes - these are mounted on the top-left corner of most of the steel gantries across the road, with a square black radar unit (K Band) above and a small camera taking the pics, similar but not identical to those in the pic on this story. My trusty detector hasn't found too many on other expressways around the capital yet (there are a few), but they're certainly doing a major trial on this stretch of road, and they're extremely strong radar guns, out to almost a kilometre with maximum strength at about 100 metres from the gantry.

what is this detector ?!

6 hours ago, goegoe said:

So they are installed at 4 spots ?

- Tappraya

- Teprasit

- North pattaya

- South pattaya

Is it correct ?!

all about speed or lane change ? Can they do both ?!

50km limit around Pattaya ? Where is the sign ? it's 80 everywhere, so why not at Pattaya also ?

Obviously you paid a backhander for your licence because if you did the test which I did at the school on Rayong turnoff you would know all speed limits in Pattaya is 50klm, it is 70klm on Sukhimvit except near the underpass (refuse to call it a tunnel) where it is 80klm, no wonder there's so many bloody accidents people just don't observe the signs

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Compared to the general rules it would be 90 km/h (56 mph) where the road is physically divided.

Cars come down the hill towards the lights at Bang Saray doing 150 kn/h.  There's been over twenty deaths whilst I have lived here.  A cop was once spotted hiding behind a sign holding a camera.  That's the sum total of prevention in ten years.

Obviously you paid a backhander for your licence because if you did the test which I did at the school on Rayong turnoff you would know all speed limits in Pattaya is 50klm, it is 70klm on Sukhimvit except near the underpass (refuse to call it a tunnel) where it is 80klm, no wonder there's so many bloody accidents people just don't observe the signs
The signs are few and far between and hard to see because of all the other "street furniture" and clutter...along beach road they painted 40kph speed limits on the road but they faded/rubbed away in no time ,almost impossible to see unless you specifically look for them which means your not concentrating on the traffic.

On 7/27/2018 at 11:29 AM, Rimmer said:

If successful, the cameras could be installed elsewhere around the city.

Surely the systems have proven themselves in other countries and cities around the world so further testing by the BIB is moot!

On 7/27/2018 at 6:28 PM, Guitar God said:

Another great idea. 

These are outlawed in many states in the US after they found that they increased the number of accidents rather than reduced them. 

People were so afraid of getting a ticket that they’d lock up theirs brakes when the light turned yellow, get rear ended and then pushed out into the intersection to maybe be hit by another car. 

In Minnesota, the state even ended up refunding the money people paid for tickets. T 

This almost qualifies as "fake news".. I googled after reading this and the truth is far from what you state. Side-impact collisions were very definitely reduced while rear-end collisions were up slightly but less injuries. Better warning signs are needed. Also the longer the cameras are in operation the less motorists will be surprised by their presence, so fewer rear-end collisions.

The main issue is contracting out the issuance of tickets to private for-profit companies. This is a not a good idea, similar to for-profit prisons, in that there is no incentive to reduce infractions.

more fines, traffic ticky cameras, radar, fees, f'n A it's all a money grab game,  if you need to slow traffic, how about speed bumps/rumble strips?

I drive mcy here and if you followed the road rules to the letter you would be DEAD. Go with the flow and keep your head on a swivel. Police should tag the road racers and people who blow red lights, the rest is silly

On 7/27/2018 at 12:28 PM, mahjongguy said:

Supposedly the default speed limit on urban streets is 80kph. There is a proposal being discussed to lower that nationally to 60kph.

There is a new law specific to Bangkok which applies a limit of 50kph that just went into effect.

Yeah, that's creating more traffic jam than ever which incidentally contributes to more accidents. Do they have a special school for traffic management in Thailand where they all go to learn how to create traffic jam? 

On 7/29/2018 at 1:18 AM, AlexCanada said:

Put a speed trap camera on Soi 15 between Soi Buakhao and Avenue Mall.  I've seen one particular motorbike rider drive around 140 kmh down that stretch many times. 

One can hope for an single-vehicle accident...

ANYTHING that can stop people running RED lights would be welcome by me, I see Thai's and Falangs doing it on a regular basis. I am NOT talking about vehicles going through orange to RED but two or three cars still going through on RED.

Just because you have been waiting in the queue a long time does NOT give you the RIGHT to run a RED Light.  Increase the Fine to serious amount.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/27/2018 at 7:05 PM, digger70 said:

Who's gonna collect the Ticket money?  

Won't be long before someone sets a scam going. 

One on Vauxhall bridge in London was set up and they sent look alike infringement notices with picture of the vehicle attached. 

Indications of doing 63 in a 60 zone.

£55 fine.

All payment sent to Camera Infringement Office PO box 999.

Thousands coughed up the coin and didn't challenge it.

The two con artists made almost £500,000.

Before they were sprung. 

On 7/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, johng said:

I noticed two more ,  one I can't remember where it was now ( maybe beach road)

but  there is one on Thappraya road  (facing down hill) seems to be watching this U-turn

( too new to be on the google map streetview)

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9082948,100.8688704,3a,75y,182.21h,88.08t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s8tiG0dXIIN5rvJ9WZkPVaA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i50

Also no speed limit signs..is it 60 KPh or 40 Kph...or maybe 80 KPh ?????  before you'll get a speeding ticket.

Also facing uphill too.

Both were lit up like Christmas trees last night.

I thought they were supposed to be not seen?

The traffic lights near the cameras in the OP are currently on flashing amber permanently. How the traffic manages itself is an education and not a little scary. I doubt there will be too much speeding when Terminal 21 opens. Gridlock is more likely.

• 2 weeks later...

best question was "who's going to be in charge of collections?"  Likely govt will farm out the process to an "independent" company (hehehe) for a cut of the action. No chance of corruption, graft, and financial abuse here, don't worry, a PMs uncle runs the collection company and he'll watch it carefully.

For a real world example of how traffic works, try driving or crossing LiebTang Rodfai (runs parallel to sukhumvit just east of). I think there are traffic lights at the intersections but either they are inert or just a pretty shade of yellow, and there may or may not be painted road lane lines (merely suggestive anyways). My interpretation is be careful or get killed, and sometimes be nice and let others go first. And but for a few crazy darwin award candidates, it works.

Just now, glennb6 said:

best question was "who's going to be in charge of collections?"  Likely govt will farm out the process to an "independent" company (hehehe) for a cut of the action. No chance of corruption, graft, and financial abuse here, don't worry, a PMs uncle runs the collection company and he'll watch it carefully.

For a real world example of how traffic works, try driving or crossing LiebTang Rodfai (runs parallel to sukhumvit just east of). I think there are traffic lights at the intersections but either they are inert or just a pretty shade of yellow, and there may or may not be painted road lane lines (merely suggestive anyways). My interpretation is be careful or get killed, and sometimes be nice and let others go first. And but for a few crazy darwin award candidates, it works.

Same question was asked in the UK, when fixed speeding cameras/Gatsos were introduced. Eventually it became clear that their use was more to do with revenue collection than road safety and their use has been limited/phased out.

As for Rod Fai road, the rule is that if you want to move in any direction, you must play chicken. I use it daily, both along it and across it, and have become adept at this method. Just close your eyes and squirt the accelerator, after a few goes it becomes good fun!

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2018 at 1:37 PM, tryasimight said:

Seems to be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Many posters want law enforcement but when it happens the whining starts.

I would bet most people want sensible law enforcement

On 7/30/2018 at 6:46 AM, Siam Bruce said:

ANYTHING that can stop people running RED lights would be welcome by me, I see Thai's and Falangs doing it on a regular basis. I am NOT talking about vehicles going through orange to RED but two or three cars still going through on RED.

Just because you have been waiting in the queue a long time does NOT give you the RIGHT to run a RED Light.  Increase the Fine to serious amount.

yup, I too consider tailgating cameras and red light cameras a priority.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Spidey said:

So Sukhumvit, running through Pattaya, a multi lane highway, probably classed as an interstate highway would be 60 or 90km/h?

Geez! don't you people read the signs posted on the side of the road or are you too busy oogling the women. Speed on Sukimvit through Pattaya is 70kph except in the tunnel it is 80kph. And if you bothered to do your driving test you would know the speed limit is suburban roads 50kph 60kph on main roads eg 3rd road unless otherwise stated, on highway 100-120kph depending on signage, motorway 80kph for trucks 100kph for buses cars 120kph for cars. No wonder so many accidents in this country everybody asleep during driver test

Archived