Pattaya testing speed-trap cameras

Rimmer

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:46 AM, Spidey said:

Same question was asked in the UK, when fixed speeding cameras/Gatsos were introduced. Eventually it became clear that their use was more to do with revenue collection than road safety and their use has been limited/phased out.

As for Rod Fai road, the rule is that if you want to move in any direction, you must play chicken. I use it daily, both along it and across it, and have become adept at this method. Just close your eyes and squirt the accelerator, after a few goes it becomes good fun!

Rule of law no traffic lights or stop and give way signs give way to the right rule applies, but try and tell that to a Thai

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Installing speed cameras on Pattaya Nua!  I hereby give notice to any business owners on this thoroughfare that I (and any number of savvy expats) no longer use it on account of the interminable lights at 3rd road + other hold-ups which make getting up to 20 kms per hour impossible.  Look what they have done to Dolphin roundabout coming from Naklua!

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Installing speed cameras on Pattaya Nua!  I hereby give notice to any business owners on this thoroughfare that I (and any number of savvy expats) no longer use it on account of the interminable lights at 3rd road + other hold-ups which make getting up to 20 kms per hour impossible.  Look what they have done to Dolphin roundabout coming from Naklua!

I have to agree, stopped using it when the new Mall opened as I figured it must have got worse. Seems easier to use Klang and shop elsewhere than Tesco.

6 hours ago, pehice said:

These cameras are sill not working.

Sorry to disappoint you but they are working. 

All over Pattaya now.

Jomtien,  pattaya and surrounding areas. 

Plus the ones we see elsewhere. 

Seems to be a demarcation between DLT and the Police about actually processing the fines.

But, if you are certain that they are not working,  go out for a drive.

Klang to Jomtien and back,  that will take you through at least half a dozen. 

Speed limit isn't indicated, nor the presence of the camera,  unlike some countries, so just gun it around and wait for the mail.

This guy got pinged on the back of a tow truck. 

FB_IMG_1540998129446.jpg

1 hour ago, a977 said:

Section 73 contradicts section 71

no... there is absolutely no contradiction at all.

I assume you can't read.

rule 73 is for roundabouts, in which right of way is obviously reversed, in the same manner as in your home country.

1 hour ago, manarak said:

errr.... what ??

I suggest you read up on Thai traffic rules.

Traffic act, paragraph 71:

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Give way in Thailand!!!!

Ok to be fair, many cars do.

It's a game of bluff.

Bikes however #@*!

U turn, take off diagonally, any side of the road, granny and kids in a cage attached to the bike, pavement. Etc. Etc.

We have all seen it.

Stop at the white line at the lights and 20 bikes will come in front and fill the intersection. 

Just now, dallen52 said:

Give way in Thailand!!!!

Ok to be fair, many cars do.

It's a game of bluff.

Bikes however #@*!

U turn, take off diagonally, any side of the road, granny and kids in a cage attached to the bike, pavement. Etc. Etc.

We have all seen it.

Stop at the white line at the lights and 20 bikes will come in front and fill the intersection. 

I know how it is in reality, thanks.

but still, there is a theoretical RULE for the right of way.

the absolute worst is when people here ask Thais to observe WRONG RULES.

14 minutes ago, manarak said:

I know how it is in reality, thanks.

but still, there is a theoretical RULE for the right of way.

the absolute worst is when people here ask Thais to observe WRONG RULES.

I used to drive along muttering to my thai partner about the bikes, and after a few years I now realize that they dont have licences many of them.

So I drive the car accordingly. 

They have, 

No comprehension of the road laws in Thailand. 

And in many cases dont really care. 

The only one they seem familiar with is that if you get clipped by a farang,  stay down on the road, and hope for an insurance payment. 

5 minutes ago, johng said:

I think that wasn't in Pattaya  and it was a woman's car but "never mind"

That one wasn't. 

Stock photos lol.

But I see many posts from the Fiesta club members locally. 

500 baht.

But DLT wasn't accepting it. 

Maybe fixed now.

1 hour ago, manarak said:

And all those motorcycles will be long gone by the time the average Thai driver has fumbled his/her way into gear and bimbled off down the road at their typical sedate acceleration rate.

At many junctions in Udon Thani there is even a dedicated area at the front for motorcycles. I've gleefully used them many times myself.

10 hours ago, dallen52 said:
16 hours ago, pehice said:

These cameras are sill not working.

Sorry to disappoint you but they are working. 

All over Pattaya now.

Jomtien,  pattaya and surrounding areas. 

it meaby working but Thai people don't care I can see from my balcony every day and night  bike and car driving high speed and I mean high speed on 2ed road in jomtien 

I am sure they don't get fin or it not working because meny of them are doing high speed every day 

Something is wrong 

10 hours ago, johng said:

There are no camera's (yet) on Jomtien second road.

There are cameras everywhere. 

Many in both directions. 

Have a closer look.

I went from Plub wan to Jomtien and to Pattaya central. 

Heaps of eyes in the sky.

Response to another post. 

You are correct,  the thai population at general dont care about fines.

One figure i saw suggested 800,000 outstanding and unpaid fines.

Possibly because they dont have a correct address or license. 

3 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

There are cameras everywhere. 

Speed cameras on Jomtien second road ??  I must admit I didn't see any this morning..though can't spend too much time looking upwards while driving..might have a crash.

6 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

Speed cameras in Pattaya? Is there any places you can even really get going that fast in Pattaya? If they want to test speed cameras they just need to put them on the major highways.

Jomtiem 2nd Rd becomes a racetrack for big bikes at night as does the motorway entrance. Many killed there in a gruesome way.

5 minutes ago, vinegarbase said:

Is there any places you can even really get going that fast in Pattaya?

Yes  at certain times of day/night the roads can be quite clear and most anyone could get to over 60KPH  its supposed to be 40KPH along beach road  but the painted signs are mostly faded.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Many killed there in a gruesome way.

Yes I remember the tourist on a big bike who got cut in half by a lamp post after bouncing over one of the (still there)  "motor cross whoops"

Archived