Can I drive in UK on my Thai license?

CrossBones

On 7/31/2018 at 9:50 AM, wgdanson said:

Any speeding or parking tickets are sent to the registered owner of the vehicle ie the hire company. That is why they have YOUR credit card details, and will charge the fine to it. Obviously they cannot put points on your Thai licence.

Well i recently had a speeding ticket and the local police wrote to me for details and the Rental did not deduct any money from the CC.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jimster said:

Yes but if the licence remains valid, what reason would a rental company have to suspect the address is not up to date? Especially if you are a British citizen? If they ask you could just tell them, yep, that's my current address. Problem solved.

If it were only that easy. This is current requirement but have to say not seen passport on previous bookings.

Please bring along all of  the following documentation prior to collecting your vehicle:

Driving licence
Please note: UK customers will need to provide both parts of their driving licence - the photo-card and the separate paper counterpart.

Major credit card
Please note: If you have been issued with a voucher you will still be required to leave a deposit on your credit card. Cash / Cheques and Debit cards are usually not acceptable.

Reservation confirmation details

Passport plus one other form of indentification, eg, utility bill
It will not always be necessary to produce additional indentification. However, we recommend that you are fully prepared to avoid disappointment.

https://www.budget.co.uk/help-and-advice/car-hire/collecting-your-vehicle

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If it were only that easy. This is current requirement but have to say not seen passport on previous bookings.

Please bring along all of  the following documentation prior to collecting your vehicle:

Driving licence
Please note: UK customers will need to provide both parts of their driving licence - the photo-card and the separate paper counterpart.

Major credit card
Please note: If you have been issued with a voucher you will still be required to leave a deposit on your credit card. Cash / Cheques and Debit cards are usually not acceptable.

It will not always be necessary to produce additional indentification. However, we recommend that you are fully prepared to avoid disappointment.

The hire companies usually go further further than that and ask for a DVLA records check..

https://www.europcar.co.uk/dvla-changes

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Driving licence

Major credit card

There is no both parts of a UK DL anymore..

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The hire companies usually go further further than that and ask for a DVLA records check..

https://www.europcar.co.uk/dvla-changes

Obviously a bit of variation, I said initially that I just use Avis/Budget, Europcar and Enterprise are not easy to get to in Sheffield with public transport. In the last 10 years they have only ever once wanted to phone the DVLA and that was when I didn't have my licence, sent off for new photo. Sod's law, the DVLA line was down and they wouldn't give me a car. Talk about panic, was supposed to pick my wife up from Heathrow that night, fortunately friend lent me a car.

7 hours ago, sandyf said:

Driving licence

Major credit card

Geez. What else do they need, a police record, a photograph of your residence? With such erroneous requirements, I'm surprised anyone is eligible to hire a car in the UK.

On 7/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, jimster said:

That sounds bizarre. If you're a UK citizen how does anyone prove you're not a resident? If you have a valid UK licence, irrespective of where you live use that. If you have a Thai one but no UK one (or an expired UK one) use that one. The key point is the licence must be valid, that's all.

If you have a UK address for UK correspondence, such as a close relative, then they can't know if you don't tell them. 

Driving in the UK on a Thai licence, no problem; driving in Thailand on a UK licence, death sentence. Ha! Just joking. I thank my household gods I lost (as in physically lost) my driving licence years ago. Now my SO drives me everywhere. Probably extended my lifespan by a couple of years at least.

Archived