What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

If I am like many other people, I have chosen to have a go at making Thailand my home.

But like many others, I'm certainly feeling the pinch, cost wise, and having overseas funds coming in to live on each month at such low exchange rates isn't helping. 

Anyone care to share any valuable tips for making ends meet?

I dont drink, don't smoke. 

Have a car,  rent a house just out of pattaya. 

Usual house comforts. 

Electric about 1500

Rent 8000

Water 100

TV wifi 900.

Basic health care. 

Eat well.

But little if anything else for future savings..

What's the secret guys?

Since we are on the topic and the primary reason I live here is financial (cheap housing-food-healthcare). Any thoughts or ideas of those that have traveled around the world, of some other options of where a single guy with no connections or debt could set up a similar lifestyle. My dream spot is Japan, if only I could afford it.. Anywhere in the whole wide world as I'm not just limited to Asia, just curious about other folks travels and discoveries on the cheap. ?

5 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Since we are on the topic and the primary reason I live here is financial (cheap housing-food-healthcare). Any thoughts or ideas of those that have traveled around the world, of some other options of where a single guy with no connections or debt could set up a similar lifestyle. My dream spot is Japan, if only I could afford it.. Anywhere in the whole wide world as I'm not just limited to Asia, just curious about other folks travels and discoveries on the cheap. ?

I think you could live cheap in a lot of countries if you are closer to the sticks than the metropolitan areas.

Plenty countries in Asia and South America offer cheap living.

surprised that you label healthcare as cheap in Thailand

in my view quality healthcare and medicine is easily available, but at a price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Most of the rest of Asia is now cheaper than Thailand excluding Japan, Singapore and some of the major capitals. Great chunks of South America same as well as Eastern Europe plenty of places cheaper in the world to live than thailand. Most of the world is living in poverty plenty of cheap joints around. If I didn't hate long flights it would be South America for me hands down but I still need to commute to work.

Edited by starky
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, starky said:

15000 a month! wow! that's less than most Thais I would think. I'm 150000 a month easy I don't have a super extravagant lifestyle but I am very comfortable. 

I cook all my own food at home, drink all my beer at home, and all my entertainment comes over the internet for 631bht/month (Movies, TV shows, Books, Music, social interactions)

Without any bars, restaurants, street food, coffee shops, What else do you spend money on?

• Like 1

I do Drink, and dip snuss I have 3 kids and a wife, house paid for, we go through 160000 a month including insurances and school fees.  I don't think we live high on the hog, however, i don't feel like we are suffering at all. 

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I cook all my own food at home, drink all my beer at home, and all my entertainment comes over the internet for 631bht/month (Movies, TV shows, Books, Music, social interactions)

Without any bars, restaurants, street food, coffee shops, What else do you spend money on?

Not judging you mate I'm saying well done. Don't worry about my expenditure but there's no way I could live on 15k a month and I don't drink much and have no interest in bars. I do have a wife a family and certain commitments however. Just my electric is 3000 a month but I'm not and never would penny pinch I live here to the same level as I would in Australia I'm not living here to save money. Horses for courses.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this topic again while i had my coffee.  I think its up to you, what you can live on.  No one can tell you what is the correct amount.  Perhaps you can live in a hut with a fan and out door toilet and eat mama noodles 3 times a day and go without health insurance and the like.  I was trying to break down my budget as it would be for a single guy.  If i was in bangkok or pattaya. 

15K Rent

30K food

30K whores and beve

10K snuss

10K health insurance

4K electric

900 baht my post paid AIS phone

900 baht internet

300 water

10K other stuff visas, transport etc etc.

Hope this helps you out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1