What's your cost of living here in Thailand?

dallen52

55 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I would prefer my daughters not to be working in an occupation that makes them sex toys/objects for men.

I prefer to have my little girl make her own decisions in life. Get a grip, she's 6. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:39 PM, tropo said:
On 7/28/2018 at 9:31 PM, watcharacters said:

I've never  budgeted in   my life but I tip my hat to those who do.

I really don't find Thailand especially  inexpensive at all.

That will depend on where you're coming from. Australia is very costly these days.

I mislead  you,  I fear.    "don't find Thailand inexpensive at all.    I.e.   Thailand is not cheap any longer.

Other can disagree as long as they breathe and that's fine with me.   I can only relate my experience and not their's.

No bashing just what I find.   And I STILL don't want or need   to budget.

Kudos to those with the discipline to budget and follow the budget.

7 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I mislead  you,  I fear.    "don't find Thailand inexpensive at all.    I.e.   Thailand is not cheap any longer.

Other can disagree as long as they breathe and that's fine with me.   I can only relate my experience and not their's.

No bashing just what I find.   And I STILL don't want or need   to budget.

Kudos to those with the discipline to budget and follow the budget.

I have a budget account or pot for want of other words because I like the money there when important bills come in a habit of mine from living in grabbing UK.

I still find Thailand cheap with only a few small cost rises,  it's nothing out of the ordinary for people having different comfort zones. 

What isn't cheap anymore. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

When my parents visit me from the UK they tell me buying groceries is cheaper there than what it is here now.

Satelite Tv ( true ) is not cheap, almost 3000THB p.m.

Decent furniture is not cheap ( not sure the costs elsewhere )

Decent clothes are not cheap ( look online at the price differences ), the latest adidas trainers in UK about 40% cheaper than here...

Vehicles and  insurance are not cheap here

Things i do still consider cheap here

- Fuel

- Hotels

- Eating

- Phone and internet packages

- Labour 

- Travel

Just my tuppence worth....

Interesting thanks for post I'm aware of costs depend on where you live here.

Buying groceries,  I don't do chopping but my Mrs say won't buy Big'C' say she buys in our village market.

Satellite Tv ( true ) is not cheap. I would agree but I only have internet from them where I can access anything I want to watch within reason at 865 p.m. which my family say is cheap compared to UK.

Decent furniture is not cheap.  Difficult one that had most our furniture made by a local carpenter at the time so wouldn't know how to compare except labour cost.

Decent clothes are not cheap.  Never been into fashion, the shirts my Mrs buy for me sometimes are about 100 - 200 so again don't know how to compare.

Vehicles and  insurance are not cheap . Vehicles maybe don't know what our 2 door Isuzu smartcab truck would cost or the City, Ins is 15,200 for the truck which I think is cheap compared to UK comprehensive ins, motorbike ins is definitely cheaper than UK here.  

Your following I concur.

Interesting thanks for post I'm aware of costs depend on where you live here.

Buying groceries,  I don't do chopping but my Mrs say won't buy Big'C' say she buys in our village market.
Satellite Tv ( true ) is not cheap. I would agree but I only have internet from them where I can access anything I want to watch within reason at 865 p.m. which my family say is cheap compared to UK.
Decent furniture is not cheap.  Difficult one that had most our furniture made by a local carpenter at the time so wouldn't know how to compare except labour cost.
Decent clothes are not cheap.  Never been into fashion, the shirts my Mrs buy for me sometimes are about 100 - 200 so again don't know how to compare.
Vehicles and  insurance are not cheap . Vehicles maybe don't know what our 2 door Isuzu smartcab truck would cost or the City, Ins is 15,200 for the truck which I think is cheap compared to UK comprehensive ins, motorbike ins is definitely cheaper than UK here.  
Your following I concur.

The only reason I stay with True is for live sports events - that’s it, I despise the company..

Clothes can be cheap correct, the trainers I mention coz I run, I must have comfortable feet otherwise I find excuse too easy not to bother.

Groceries I get mostly in Makro for convenience, not sure how it compares to other places ( I also try to get out of going, shopping annoys me )

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2018 at 5:31 PM, watcharacters said:

I've never  budgeted in   my life but I tip my hat to those who do.

I really don't find Thailand especially  inexpensive at all.

As compared to What/Where??

• Like 1

On 7/29/2018 at 5:08 AM, BritManToo said:

I cook all my own food at home, drink all my beer at home, and all my entertainment comes over the internet for 631bht/month (Movies, TV shows, Books, Music, social interactions)

Without any bars, restaurants, street food, coffee shops, What else do you spend money on?

Uuummm, ladies of questionable morals??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, balo said:

Is it possible to find a woman under 30 who is not asking for money or are happy with 5k pocket money  per month ? Who want to live with a farang over 50 ? I don't think so. Cambodia maybe, not here

I'm thinking of giving Burma a shot, haven't been there since 2001, b3fore they changed their name.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:01 AM, The manic said:

I assume honesty and sincerity.  Sarcasm is best left to verbal communications. In text the nuances are lost and as such rendered as a straight forward statements without any sub text or hidden meaning. Perhaps next time the writer could write in brackets the word 'sarcasm ' to indicate his communicative intentions. 

?  :passifier::giggle:   if more people used these, their posts would not be mistaken........peace 

On 8/16/2018 at 2:54 AM, Naam said:

a good question! nearly all our food is cooked at home, our entertainment comes over the internet and our dogs, we don't frequent bars, restaurants, coffee shops and we don't eat street food. i will ask my wife why we spend nearly 3 million Baht per annum. :ermm:

3 Million Baht  -  thats 2 condos in Pattaya, Jom Tien generating 15K a month rent, they would be paid for in 3 years

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 pages in and still going.  I think the last one made it to 42.

While there is always good info posted the bottom line is that every single one of us is different and how we live our lives, our different expectations, needs and wants will significantly affect the COL. 

I wish someone would do a comprehensive poll then the Mods could  pin it for all folks to look at.  At least there would be an average of sorts for some folks to look at.

For me, my COL ranges between 40 to 50k baht a month and my wife and I live quite comfortably. That said, We did build a house up front before moving here so we have no monthly rent or mortgage to annoy us and our property tax is 45bht ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAFO said:

35 pages in and still going.  I think the last one made it to 42.

While there is always good info posted the bottom line is that every single one of us is different and how we live our lives, our different expectations, needs and wants will significantly affect the COL. 

I wish someone would do a comprehensive poll then the Mods could  pin it for all folks to look at.  At least there would be an average of sorts for some folks to look at.

For me, my COL ranges between 40 to 50k baht a month and my wife and I live quite comfortably. That said, We did build a house up front before moving here so we have no monthly rent or mortgage to annoy us and our property tax is 45bht ?

These type of thread defy pining because the situation is fluid and is dependent on many variables such as exchange rates , inflation,. employment opportunities etc. 

But it is really very simple . Labor is still relatively  inexpensive in LOS , so all things dependant on local labor would be more affordable and all things imported would be more expensive and of less quality than back home do to scale of markets.

So as you said, If you have your house build and furnished , your car paid for (as we also have) and a decent (modest) income.

,life can be very easy in LOS.

I am still working in the west (back and forth every year) but when In Thailand we barely spend the same as you. when we fully retire there next spring , I expect to bank more than half of my pension.

So my advice to those wanting to live here(assuming you are married to a Thai).

Do your time in the west, save some money, while working build the house , and litle by  litle furnish it  , buy the car , and if your lifestyle is not extravagant , life will be good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Naam said:

and what do i do with the 15k Baht/month these shoeboxes create after 3 years? use them to pay for my electricity bill?

are you operating a strip mall??  152 sq mt PEA bill for me is less than 2K a month.

Edited by TunnelRat69
spelling
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:
10 hours ago, Naam said:

and what do i do with the 15k Baht/month these shoeboxes create after 3 years? use them to pay for my electricity bill?

are you operating a strip mall??  152 sq mt PEA bill for me is less than 2K a month.

600m² for me means an average of 14k Baht/month; ~10-12k cool season / ~18-20k hot season. aircon share cool season ~40%, hot season ~60%.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Absolutely and let's not forget the mixed bag of folks who have different exchange rates and pension pay outs.

I am from the US and planned this all pretty well.  I figured if we worked and built our house, furnished it, bought our cars that 40 to 50k baht would be "fun" money and it has been.  

If we wanted to live very basic our COL could easily be 25k baht being we have no debt.  

Same here, proper planning is the key.!!!

Also from the US, Started planning for our Thailand escape a long time ago. We purchased the property to build on ten years ago for a song from someone who needed the money, and left it along, a litle by litle developed the property, build a perimeter wall build a modest house for a couple of million baht, and slowly purchasing furniture and major appliances, and car  from  work bonuses , tax returns and other winfalls. Now debt free, money in the bank and life is sweet.

IMO Preparation is the secret to success . 

Currently debating if I should sell the house in the US and invest the proceed in a relatively safe investment vehicle , for easy liquidation. Or rent the house and have the proceeds invested .

I like having the house in case of repatriation need,  but not sure about the hassle of being a landlord, and wife being able to navigate the sale process after I am gone.

38 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Same here, proper planning is the key.!!!

Also from the US, Started planning for our Thailand escape a long time ago. We purchased the property to build on ten years ago for a song from someone who needed the money, and left it along, a litle by litle developed the property, build a perimeter wall build a modest house for a couple of million baht, and slowly purchasing furniture and major appliances, and car  from  work bonuses , tax returns and other winfalls. Now debt free, money in the bank and life is sweet.

IMO Preparation is the secret to success . 

Currently debating if I should sell the house in the US and invest the proceed in a relatively safe investment vehicle , for easy liquidation. Or rent the house and have the proceeds invested .

I like having the house in case of repatriation need,  but not sure about the hassle of being a landlord, and wife being able to navigate the sale process after I am gone.

We appear to have followed similar paths.  

Wife was already given land and house in Northern Thailand.  We bought the big piece of land next to it and then a small lot in front. This while we worked in the US. I designed and drew up plans for our house. A few trips back and forth and 3 or so million baht later we had our house built. 

I liquidated all assets in the US because my wife and I agreed if we moved back to the states( She is a US Citizen) that we wanted to be able to land anywhere and we have no issues renting.  I felt having a place and dealing with renters was a pain and we wanted mobility and no burdens the big plus was I got to enjoy that one time tax exemption on selling my house so it was all upside.

Now life is just as we planned it generally speaking and to the thread content our COL is low 

• Like 1

Not the "how long is a piece of string" thread. 

Hot topic, but not something generic. I know people living in Thailand for 30,000 baht per month and appear content. I also know people living on 300,000 baht per month and can't make ends meet. Go figure. 

When I lived and worked in the United States, I lived in what was considered to be a "low cost of living" state. Now that I am retired, I live on much less with the same or better lifestyle. I have no need of a car because of cheap public transportation. That alone cuts down on many expenses. I spend about ten thousand baht a month (300 usd) on rent, about 1500 a month on electricity, 1000 baht on wifi, less than 1000 baht a month on water. There is really no place in the United States that you can live as cheaply. These costs are offset somewhat by the high coat of imported foods. If you watch your spending and eat mostly Thai food, you can live very cheaply here. My rent would drop by about 3000 baht a month if I moved farther away from the beach.  Always an option here.

• Like 1

KhunFred said:

less than 1000 baht a month on water."

Yikes!  Someone must be pocketing a nice tidy monthly bonus if you bill is even close to B1000.

I'm single, live alone on a large studio in Bangkok.  Showers twice daily, several loads of laundry a week in a 7kg top loader,  Potable water delivered once a month.  All in, including potable is less than B200/mo. 

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, BritManToo said:

I would prefer my daughters not to be working in an occupation that makes them sex toys/objects for men.

You certainly seem to have no compunction about making sex toys/objects of other men's daughters according to your posts in a concurrently running topic. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dddave said:

KhunFred said:

less than 1000 baht a month on water."

Yikes!  Someone must be pocketing a nice tidy monthly bonus if you bill is even close to B1000.

I'm single, live alone on a large studio in Bangkok.  Showers twice daily, several loads of laundry a week in a 7kg top loader,  Potable water delivered once a month.  All in, including potable is less than B200/mo. 

You are correct. My water bill is around 200 baht per month. I had a temporary lapse of memory. That happens to us old gits. ?