Getting a Thai passport for child

My son is a minor(15), born in New Zealand. His mother is a Thai national, with NZ residency.

What steps do I need to take to get him a Thai passport?

Bare in mind, me and his mother are divorced and she is not much interested in participating in the process of getting him a Thai passport. Is this something that I can do on my own?

Can it all be done from New Zealand?

All advice, tips and stories of yours would be much appreciated.

Sent from my Le X820 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, jayci said:

What steps do I need to take to get him a Thai passport?

You will have to apply for a Thai birth certificate for him a the Thai embassy in Wellington. Inof in Thai is here on the embassy website.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/wellington/th/services/2962/36202-การจดทะเบียนเกิดบุตร-(ขอสูติบัตรไทย).html

After the birth certificate is issued he would be able to apply for a passport at the embassy.

It is also to apply for the birth certificate at the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok and they will send it to embassy for them to issue it. 

• Like 2

You will have to apply for a Thai birth certificate for him a the Thai embassy in Wellington. Inof in Thai is here on the embassy website.
http://www.thaiembassy.org/wellington/th/services/2962/36202-การจดทะเบียนเกิดบุตร-(ขอสูติบัตรไทย).html
After the birth certificate is issued he would be able to apply for a passport at the embassy.
It is also to apply for the birth certificate at the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA in Bangkok and they will send it to embassy for them to issue it. 
Thanks Joe

Sent from my Le X820 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, jayci said:

As part of the birth certificate application process, I have to get his mother to sign a Por Kor 14 form.
This gives her sole custody in Thai law.
Will I still be able to be the person that takes all the documents to the embassy and sign whatever needs to be signed in person?

The Por Kor 14 can also give you sole custody if she agrees to it.

If you have sole custody you can do the application alone. Same for applying for their passport and etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jayci said:

Is there a cutoff age in which this has to be done by?

No there is max age to do it.

I am aware of people getting their Thai birth certificate when they were in their 20's and 30's or older even.

9 minutes ago, selavy59 said:

I have a 10 year old son living with me in the UK. I have a Thai birth certificate for him but have been told (by the embassy here in the UK) I cannot get a passport for him, only his mother can get that.

You can apply for the passport if the mother gives her consent.

The info on the embassy says both parents need to be present which in not the norm. See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/82038-Thai-Passport.html

13 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Not sure the answer to your question but you should be aware if he has a Thai Passport and ID Card he may be called up for military service when he is 20 years old ?

There is no mention of him living here so the draft is not that big of a concern. 

There are ways to get around it such as doing cadet training in high school.

The draw for the draft is done in the year they turn 21 not 20.