Top Ten tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand

webfact

Top Ten tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand

By Tim Newton

videoblocks-pov-view-on-riding-motorbike

Motorbikes and scooters are the most popular mode of transport in Thailand, and most of south east asia. The 110cc step-thru is ubiquitous. Most just go and go and go – they’re astonishly reliable. Whilst you’re meant to change the oil once a month we suspect most don’t get their oil changed once a year, or ever.

Getting around on a motorbike is easy enough and, especially in busy traffic, will get you to your destination faster whilst the cars and trucks are plodding along in the traffic.

But riding a motorbike in Thailand can also be very dangerous but if you stick to the common sense basics – ride within the speed limits, wear a bike helmet, obey the traffic rules and don’t drink and drive – it remains a perfectly reliable way to get around. It will be cheaper and you’ll see more.

But here’s our Top Ten tips to make your journey on the motorbike safer and more comfortable.

1. Wear appropriate clothes

Whilst you’ll see idiot tourists riding around on their rented motorbikes in their swimming shorts, and that’s all, you’re going to be much safer with a few clothes on. Falling off a motorbike without anything covering your knees or elbows is going to be painful enough – having at least some fabric between you and the road is going to reduce the painful grazes a bit. Long pants and a long shirt are a good start. Always wear shoes for the same reason. And a motorbike helmet as well – it’s the law and it could save your life. The flimsy plastic ‘lid’ type helmets cost around 200 baht and will get you through the checkpoints but spending a bit more on a better helmet will provide additional protection in the unlikely situation your head comes in contact with the road. You’ll see the locals riding around with their jackets on the wrong way – they say it keep their clothes clean from the road muck and fumes.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-ten-tips-for-riding-a-motorbike-in-thailand

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-30

Riding a motorcycle in Thailand and anywhere in the world for that matter is akin to a crapshoot, you roll the dice every time you get on this thing, you can the best and the most astute rider in the world, than some absent minded <deleted> busy with his/her phone, drunk or just distruced will plow into you and the rest is up to your luck to die or come out it alive....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

I've got 170.000Km on a bike in Thailand in the last 7 years, never been in a accident, but yeah, I know what I'm doing as I use to teach to people how to properly drive a bike.

The first tip that this article should give is: If you know what are you doing always remind yourself that you're driving in a jungle of motorized monkeys while you driving in Thailand and SEA in general, if you don't know what are you doing learn somewhere else, monkey driving is not driving.

I agree, but it's not always possible for various reasons.

I say this as I was 'forced' to ride a scooter on a couple of holidays here - even though I'd never driven a 'bike before.  I was terrified, and hated it.

Moving here, it became obvious that a 'bike was the best way to get around - and so, I had to bite the bullet....

It took a while, but eventually I learned not only how to drive the thing ?, but also that it was mostly enjoyable - until negotiating traffic jams...

Most of us eventually learn to look for EVERY possible scenario both in front of us and behind us - knowing that drivers (both car and 'bike) will do anything and everything that is outside the 'rule book'!

I'd add that I give tourists on scooters the widest berth as for some obscure reason so many take ridiculous 'chances' ☹️ - presumably convinced that they're driving in the 'local' way....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Best tip....Don't buy or ride a motorbike in Thailand!  

It can save your life or limbs.........

Image result for motorcycle accident thailand

It depends on the individual.

Personally, I'd never forgive myself if I seriously injured or killed someone else, which is why I gave up driving a car.

On a 'bike it's extremely unlikely that I can seriously hurt anyone else.

But we're all different in our opinion about hurting others/getting hurt.

Edited by dick dasterdly

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Impractical wearing too many clothes in Thailand. Even Thais wear little and they don't sweat

Yes we all know what is the safest attire but we are also all adults and make our choices. I ride  in a way to try and minimize any injury to anyone else. If I hurt myself by what I choose not to wear that is my choice. You wont hear me whinging about it afterwards. 

Some good basic advice, but changing oil every month??  And long sleeves/trousers offer no protection at all from road rash.

Good helmet, gloves and shoes - as there are the likely landing points.  

And be aware of what's happening behind you as well as in front - even if indicating to turn left, a Food Panda bike will always pass you on the inside.

And watch the motorcycle taxis - when they suddenly dart into the inside lane, there's a police checkpoint ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seligne2 said:

Changing oil once a month? Not according to Honda's maintenance manual.

If you're doing 150 km a day in sh*t condition (not an impossibility) I'd be changing it after 3 weeks.

5 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Some good basic advice, but changing oil every month??  And long sleeves/trousers offer no protection at all from road rash.

Good helmet, gloves and shoes - as there are the likely landing points.  

And be aware of what's happening behind you as well as in front - even if indicating to turn left, a Food Panda bike will always pass you on the inside.

And watch the motorcycle taxis - when they suddenly dart into the inside lane, there's a police checkpoint ahead.

Gloves and shoes?

Genuine question as I know a few people that have been hurt as a result of accidents.  Neither their hands or feet were hurt!

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Mrs 1%:

image.png.0f48969eb5979fe57cd91ed408d76006.png

This is not a motorbike, this is a vaginabike, it's also pink to show you that is made for pussies...

you cannot use the tire of that bike like this, this is how a man use a tire...

2015_03_IMG_1464.jpg

Under here is how a pussy use a tire...

b2240f651eda28e5a34166ee9bd50705a5048350_hq.jpg

Edited by MekkOne
edit

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Let’s hope this is not gonna turn into a “my bike is bigger than your bike” thread. 

let us have so fun, we just commenting the 10 almost most stupid tips for driving a bike in thailand ???