Top Ten tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand

webfact

Forget the road rules and the way you ride in your home country, riding here in LOS completely different, always expect the unexpected here, which I find is the most dangerous part of riding bikes here, always use a good quality bash hat if you value your head, definitely saved my life many years ago when this jumbuk run out in front of me in Oz, as I went head first into the really coarse bitumen road. 

Edited by Oztruckie
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

1. Always assume that everyone else on the road are going to try to kill you...  This makes you ride defensively...

Yep. I’d add a bit though..

1. Always assume that everyone YOU CAN SEE on the road are drunk, on drugs, playing on their phone, unlicensed or speeding and are going to try to kill you. 

2. Always assume that everyone YOU HAVEN’T SEEN YET (behind you, about to come out of a side street, around a bend etc) are also going to kill you. 

This makes you ride defensively. 

Edited by Gregster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

this is not under inflated, this is a tire that has been raped between a good amount of BhP and biting tarmac...

Of course it has. I was referring to the tires on the pink bike, underinflate those and they'll look similar after a while. :biggrin:

I'm reminded of US General Mattis, who told his officers to be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

With motorcycles, you have to be polite and plan how everyone is going to kill you.

The next 3 most important rules are

1. Have license & insurance

2. Have good medical insurance with emergency medical evacuation

3. Have a will.

A question to the motor bike riders .   When you want to turn right , do you pull out to the right of the road into the face of the oncoming traffic ?  or do you keep to the pavement side of the left hand part of the road and wait till it is clear to make your turn ?

5 minutes ago, superal said:

A question to the motor bike riders .   When you want to turn right , do you pull out to the right of the road into the face of the oncoming traffic ?  or do you keep to the pavement side of the left hand part of the road and wait till it is clear to make your turn ?

On the traffic light I keep the right, other case if there is incoming traffic on one or both sides I keep left, no traffic I just turn, but mostly I don't stop in the middle of the road as monkeys don't pay attention when they drive...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you mean do you cut the corner off like the Thais the answer is yes

The most important thing is genuine common sense, always be aware of what other traffic may do. 

Never speed. remember these things and you will find out that things are not as bad as people make out.

Remember, no matter what you do there are always risks involved.

"obey the traffic rules"?  Most times yes, but not always, common sense is more important than anyones rules.

Example. Riding along on a dual carriageway, and wanting to do a right turn or U turn ahead, according to traffic conditions, you may need to get out on the right hand lane in plenty of time, if you wait until you are nearly there as the law says, no car or truck is going to let you in front of them.

You are supposed to keep to the left of the road as much as possible. Nonsense, it all depends on traffic conditions, if you have genuine common sense you will know why.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MekkOne said:

Motorbike is indeed something for men with balls...

"Motorbike is indeed something for men with(out) balls..." - in the event of an accident. :sad:

11) NEVER assert your legal rights when riding. In a crash, you lose.

12) Always expect the unexpected.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Gloves and shoes?

Genuine question as I know a few people that have been hurt as a result of accidents.  Neither their hands or feet were hurt!

I'm thinking of the low speed city spills - hands will hit the road first, followed by head.  Feet are vulnerable to cars when lane splitting and you need a quick dab in tight gaps. 

For faster road speeds, only a full jacket and kevlar jeans or full leathers will help - and it's too hot for that in Bangkok traffic. I've tried so-called ventilated jackets - ok for out of the city, too hot for commuting.

"Drive"? A couple of comments about that. I always thought that you ride two wheelers. :whistling:

I've done that for 50+ years, have I got or done something wrong? 

Edited by lvr181
Additional wording
  • Thanks 1

"Drive"? A couple of comments about that. I always thought that you ride two wheelers. :whistling:

I've done that for 50+ years, have I got or done something wrong? 
It's unimportant.

drive

drīv/

verb

operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Tofer said:

You forgot a few;

- Remove your rear light bulb.

- Don't use your indicators.

- learn the etiquette for driving the wrong direction.

- never stop when entering a major road from a side road.

Last but not least - learn to ride with one leg sticking out like Barry Shean on a sewing machine, so you look cool as if on a racing circuit...

Goddangit, man! You mean I have to remember 15 rules now? I’m gonna have to note these down on my phone. I’ll wait till I’m driving. I’m real busy sitting at home now.

1 hour ago, lvr181 said:

"Motorbike is indeed something for men with(out) balls..." - in the event of an accident. :sad:

11) NEVER assert your legal rights when riding. In a crash, you lose.

12) Always expect the unexpected.

If you follow your #12 rule you won't be in a crash... it's just how it is, I'm riding since I'm 6 yrs old never had an accident on the road (of course I did in track days and races), I lost the number of Km I made on a bike but I'm probably around the million... When you drive on the road the only rule is THINK. As I said before, you don't drive a bike looking a 1/4 of second in front of you, you must look far in the future...

11 hours ago, Thakkar said:

Learn to control bike with one hand, leaving the other free to hold your phone.

Find at least two other people, and a poodle, to carry with you on your rides.

Remember to leave your helmet at home.

Flip flops only, not shoes.

At least one of the rear view mirrors reflecting your face so you can see how cool you look while weaving through traffic.

Cool RayBans are a must.

Ensure sufficient shopping bags in basket to cover headlights.

Don’t be modest now. Mufflers off—announce your presence!

If you’re not drunk, don’t drive.

“Wai” with both hands when passing an elder you know. Politesse matters.

You missed carrying the umbrella!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I lived the last ten years of my life in Thailand in Pattaya and was lucky to have the baht bus system in place. I lived in Bang Lamung within walking distance to a baht bus route to the beach and everywhere else. I never had any problem and then if needed I could rent one for the day for long trips and was inexpensive. I never needed to drive a mc although I did drive a truck when I worked in Map Ta Phut as it was given to me. I love Baht Buses.

If they raised the baht buses to 15 baht a trip, I'd still use them, I just choose which one I enter, never let a baht bus choose me, don;t care how many times he uses his horn ........ too many scams and scammers in Pattaya .

Stop listening to your mummy and just use the grey stuff between your ears. Experience, awareness and anticipation counts for a lot when riding bikes. Of course the risks are highr compared with other modes of travel. Common sense counts for a lot too. Bike bashers can swivel as far as I'm concerned??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MekkOne said:

If you follow your #12 rule you won't be in a crash..

Personally I wouldn't go so far to claim that but I would hold that "expect the unexpected" would minimise the chances of a crash.

Just IMHO after riding (and racing motorbikes in my younger years, of course) for 50+ years.

As watso63, post #57 said "experience, awareness and anticipation" is a definite survival technique. :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, superal said:

A good question.

If you wait on the left side to turn right, you'll be there forever.  If you go the centre of the road and wait to turn right, then you are at risk of being hit from the rear by the cars, trucks and buses that turn on red (at lights) or turn when it's blatantly not safe, and you also risk a head on collision from the cars doing unwise overtaking in front of you.

I move to the right and keep the risk to a minimum by getting out of the way as soon as possible.  (Note: Traffic lights are only advisory). 

A very different way of riding from what I was taught on my Advanced Riders Course - but you are most at risk when stationary, so try to keep moving as much as possible.

A local friend of mine once said - "the only direct from which a car will not come at you, is from underneath".

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 12:28 PM, swerve said:

There's others too:

Drive slowly.

Be aware of the other vehicles around you.

Wear a good helmet.

Don't drink and drive.

Being aware of your surroundings is very important but I, and most other riders in Thailand don't recommend to ride slowly.. it can actually be a lot more dangerous. I have been riding in Bangkok and around Thailand daily for 2 years now accident free (except for mud roads and the race track). 

Of course I don't mean you should do crazy speeding, but keeping up with or slightly above the speed of  traffic flow while staying in the mid or right lanes can be a lot safer than riding slowly on the left. When riding slow close to the curb you put yourself into more danger of overtaking cars and trucks, as well as cars cutting in front from sideroads. 

• Like 2