Top Ten tips for riding a motorbike in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Being aware of your surroundings is very important but I, and most other riders in Thailand don't recommend to ride slowly.. it can actually be a lot more dangerous. I have been riding in Bangkok and around Thailand daily for 2 years now accident free (except for mud roads and the race track). 

Of course I don't mean you should do crazy speeding, but keeping up with or slightly above the speed of  traffic flow while staying in the mid or right lanes can be a lot safer than riding slowly on the left. When riding slow close to the curb you put yourself into more danger of overtaking cars and trucks, as well as cars cutting in front from sideroads. 

By slowly I meant not to ride like motorists/teens who go really fast regularly and recklessly.  We all know who they are.  In my opinion, the number one cause of accidents here is going too fast.

4 minutes ago, swerve said:

By slowly I meant not to ride like motorists/teens who go really fast regularly and recklessly.  We all know who they are.  In my opinion, the number one cause of accidents here is going too fast.

Fair enough, yes that's right. However, I don't agree about speed being the number one cause, as in someone actually losing control of their vehicle due to too much speed. Most accident videos I see daily is someone cutting in front illegally from a side road, u-turn, red light or another lane without looking. It's certainly easier to avoid these idiots by not doubling the speed limit though =). 

12 minutes ago, swerve said:

with motorist/teen you mean any Thai that driving a vehicle between 2 and 45 Y.O. right?

On 30 July 2018 at 7:45 PM, Thakkar said:

Goddangit, man! You mean I have to remember 15 rules now? I’m gonna have to note these down on my phone. I’ll wait till I’m driving. I’m real busy sitting at home now.

You don't have to remember anything, just do what you want to, everyone else does.......

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SS1 said:

I don't agree about speed being the number one cause, as in someone actually losing control of their vehicle due

the fact that they don't have any idea about what they are up to... Speeding is not the number one cause, is just driving without having any knowledge of the Newton laws that make the trick... Here the problem is that the most of the driver don't have any idea of what are the limits and the forces that are actually controlling their cars/motorbikes... Is in a world IGNORANCE.

Fair enough, yes that's right. However, I don't agree about speed being the number one cause, as in someone actually losing control of their vehicle due to too much speed. Most accident videos I see daily is someone cutting in front illegally from a side road, u-turn, red light or another lane without looking. It's certainly easier to avoid these idiots by not doubling the speed limit though =). 
Greater speed means less time to react, i often see people including farang going too fast
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 hours ago, SS1 said:

Greater speed means less time to react, i often see people including farang going too fast

one thing is going to fast, one thing is going fast enough...

• Like 1

I think the major issue is the general attitude that training is unnecessary for a motorcycle.  10 year old kids learn by example and look at the examples they have.  There is no such thing as a 90º turn here.  It's two 45's or three 30's always going into and through the opposite lane most times fading across the road well ahead of the intersection.  There is no awareness of how to handle and control a bike in various situations.

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Free roaming dogs. Do you really need any other reasons to slow down on a bike?

Image result for dog what me worryImage result for thai dog imageImage result for dog what me worryImage result for thai dog image

Free roaming??

The bugg.rs park their a..e in the middle of the road and don't budge unless you run over their tails...

This is the only place in the world I've been where the dogs are arrogant! I shake my head in disbelief every time.

On 7/30/2018 at 2:55 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Most of us eventually learn to look for EVERY possible scenario both in front of us and behind us - knowing that drivers (both car and 'bike) will do anything and everything that is outside the 'rule book'!

I don't have to patience to read five pages of comments.   But if you have good motorcycle skills AND

learn what DD points out......you have a pretty good chance of avoiding an accident.BTW:  Sightseeing while

driving any vehicle here is not something I would recommend