About buying a truck --- Ford or Isuzu or else

MadameM

Many things to do and be done once I arrive CR!

I do need a truck. I was looking at Ford  and Isuzu -- open cab. Does anyone use one of these makes and have any suggestion?

I used to drive Ford Explorer--Sport 2 doors for over 10 years -- love it. But a friend gave me a remark that Ford in Thailand is not at the same quality as those in the US. I'll never known if he's right or wrong. Can somebody give me some light? My cousin recommended Isuzu. 

Any thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ford is good and their rep is getting better. However, you need to check with any Ford owners in your area on how good the LOCAL after sales and service experience is. My experience with a couple of Rangers with a cumulative ~150,000 km over 7 years in Udon (sales and service) and Pattaya (service) has been very good but from what I have read, there's absolutely no decent Ford after sales service in Phuket and there's a few Ford dealerships in Bangkok to be avoided as well.

Hi Madam M I think NanLaew has a very good point. Some more local input about dealers here  be a big  help. But the Isuzu dealer network is more comprehensive than  Ford at present. I own neither so can't tell from personal experience. Al though there are easily 5 or more times more Isuzus around than Fords but there popularity is increasing yearly.

Madam M i would definitely recommend Isuzu.

We have an Isuzu spacecab, 2 years old no problems, before that we had an Izusu hi-lander, sold it at 9 years old to b.i.l. who still drives it, never been in to any garage other than for regular service.

The local Izusu dealer gives first class service.

Go for a Toyota. Super reliable and a dealer in pretty much every Changwat.

Don't believe me, 'Google' Ford/Isuzu dealers in the country. Few and far between compared to Toyota .... not that you will need a dealer, super reliable. My present Toyota, not even a light-bulb in 5+ years.

You're not in Kansas any more. ?

Ford does not have a good spare parts supply. My wife was a manager at  Ford/Mazda , and they were constantly waiting for parts to arrive . This was the production plant

Thanks to all of you ... guys! Seems like can't survive in CR without your kindly supports!

I'd been using Toyota Corolla right after landing on my first job in Bangkok from 1985 to 1995 (Then I got married and had to let go my car) ? Love Toyota!

In the US, the husband loves outdoor activities, so we got a used Ford Explorer 1998. We let it go in 2014 because a senior gent. in a beat-up car hit it on the rear end, and insurance total it -- sadly!

I might consider Isuzu. I like the way Sceadugenga put it "The mechanic in the smallest village smiles when he sees one's coming".

But, my hubby still believes in Ford!!!! I guess you guys can't help me on this ?

15 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

One thing about Isuzu D-Max is that everyone knows how to fix it.

The mechanic in the smallest village smiles when he sees one coming.

If your local Somchai can fix a new D-Max, then he can fix a new Ford...

I wouldn't trust our local Somchai to check the oil in either ?

My 2011 Ranger served me well, 170k on the clock when we passed it on to a local.

I wouldn't be adverse to an Isuzu either though... Any modern pick up is better than a Nissan March...

5 hours ago, kevvy said:

Ford does not have a good spare parts supply. My wife was a manager at  Ford/Mazda , and they were constantly waiting for parts to arrive . This was the production plant

Luckily I never needed any parts for my Ranger ?

a friend of mine bought a new Isuzu D-Max the inside fell apart the same friend bought a new ford ranger 3.2 a couple of years back he loves it and ive driven it, it great and if i was going to buy a pick up i would buy the ford ranger 3.2.

I drive a Ford ranger. 175xxx km in 5 years. It nice and comfortable to drive, stable and powerful. However very bad resale value for Ford in general. Also, spare parts are expensive. I recently asked the dealer in Chiang may for the cost of a key (lost one.....) and was quoted about 15000thb. Asked the dealer I bought it from in BKK and was quitted about 5000thb....

A friend of mine set off one day with a cat asleep in the engine compartment of his almost new Ford Everest - yes a cat, I kid you not!  The now ex cat got fouled up in the motor and must have caused the auxulliary belt to snap or something like that because the car overheated badly - to the extent that the motor was wrecked by the time my mate noticed something was wrong.  Ford agreed to replace the motor because for some reason the temperature warning (don't know whether its a gauge or a warning light or whatever on Everest's) system hadn't worked. A check of the ECU also confirmed that no warnings had been recorded.

There was no argument with Ford over this and a new motor was ordered. All would have been well - except it took 3 months to get a new factory motor.  That would put me off buying a Ford.  We'd be unhappy in the UK if it took 3 days - never mind 3 months

11 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I drive a Ford ranger. 175xxx km in 5 years. It nice and comfortable to drive, stable and powerful. However very bad resale value for Ford in general. Also, spare parts are expensive. I recently asked the dealer in Chiang may for the cost of a key (lost one.....) and was quoted about 15000thb. Asked the dealer I bought it from in BKK and was quitted about 5000thb....

15,000 is about right in any country for a new key... Modern keys that is..

They are All virtually the same but for service and reliability it’s Toyota but if you want style then in my opinion the Ranger is the best looking. Ford dealers have a long way to catch up with the Toyota dealers though on customer service.

When in the US sure, buy a Ford or a Chevy, makes sense.

In Asia you buy Asian. Parts are cheaper and more plentiful.

As a hard core Toyota guy I cannot say enough about them. Just bought a Prerunner and after checking the competitors, Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Ford the Toyota ended up being the most affordable.

Always great service and Toyotas are legendary for their reliability.

Just do your legwork, visit them all and do a comparison. You will always find supporters of all brands but lend an ear to folks who have already played the game.

I never even really considered Ford to be honest, just didnt make sense.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you decide on!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I had an Isuzu DMax for seven years. Sold it last month because it was too big for my wife to handle, but I miss it. Five-seater with a nice Kenwood/Garmin sound and GPS. The touch screen could have been more responsive, but they fixed that in recent years. I added a hard cover over the bed. 3-liter turbo diesel could pass in a heartbeat. No significant problems. The Isuzu dealer was always fair and attentive to detail. Aircon still cool after seven years.

3 years ago the wife said get the Iuszu MU-X as Thai's prefer Isuzu and everybody knows how to work them, I personally wanted something like the Ford Ranger or similar, as we were building a house and I knew we would need to pick up stuff every now and again from the local hardware suppliers etc etc, however she persisted and said we can use dad's Isuzu as it has an open tray at the rear, so deposit down on Isuzu, two months later, where is the car, is coming, another 2 months later, where is the car, is coming, cancel order I said, deposit returned and put on a Ford Ranger.

Best decision, wife agrees as even to this day we are still bringing stuff back from the hardwares and other stores, put a cover over the back with matching colour to keep stuff from getting wet, now time to upgrade to the Ford Everest, but reckon will wait another 3 years as the Ranger is such a great car to drive and Ford have been absolutely great when it comes to servicing the car or any queries on the car, i.e. bring it straight in and then look over it on the spot.

Highly recommend the Ford Ranger, as for dealerships cannot fault the one in Sawang Daen Din, even shaved 35,000 baht off the asking price whereas all the other dealers like Isuzu and Toyota wouldn't budge, as for Chevrolet, they didn't even get off their rear ends on two occasions to talk to us, so as far as making the sale, Ford has also kept us happy with their servicing, and will get our returned business when we upgrade. 

Yeah I went Isuzu as well, after nearly doing my head in on research etc., it is not 12 months old yet(that happens in October) it has never missed a beat and have only had it back to service for its 6 months(I never made the klms for that) and a dash cam install. The truck is used to bring all and sundry to the farm, from blue metal(gravel) to concrete rings(they were heavy) to bags of cow shit to bricks for growing beds and buildings it has handled it all with ease. Service has been great(Buri Ram) and the personnel excellent, even got a phone call at 5 months to let me know it was coming due, so good luck which ever way you go(I was a ford man myself back in Australia, ford was my first brand new car, then first new Ute(read truck). 

Archived