About buying a truck --- Ford or Isuzu or else

MadameM

Many things to do and be done once I arrive CR!

I do need a truck. I was looking at Ford  and Isuzu -- open cab. Does anyone use one of these makes and have any suggestion?

I used to drive Ford Explorer--Sport 2 doors for over 10 years -- love it. But a friend gave me a remark that Ford in Thailand is not at the same quality as those in the US. I'll never known if he's right or wrong. Can somebody give me some light? My cousin recommended Isuzu. 

Any thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ford is good and their rep is getting better. However, you need to check with any Ford owners in your area on how good the LOCAL after sales and service experience is. My experience with a couple of Rangers with a cumulative ~150,000 km over 7 years in Udon (sales and service) and Pattaya (service) has been very good but from what I have read, there's absolutely no decent Ford after sales service in Phuket and there's a few Ford dealerships in Bangkok to be avoided as well.

Hi Madam M I think NanLaew has a very good point. Some more local input about dealers here  be a big  help. But the Isuzu dealer network is more comprehensive than  Ford at present. I own neither so can't tell from personal experience. Al though there are easily 5 or more times more Isuzus around than Fords but there popularity is increasing yearly.

Madam M i would definitely recommend Isuzu.

We have an Isuzu spacecab, 2 years old no problems, before that we had an Izusu hi-lander, sold it at 9 years old to b.i.l. who still drives it, never been in to any garage other than for regular service.

The local Izusu dealer gives first class service.

Go for a Toyota. Super reliable and a dealer in pretty much every Changwat.

Don't believe me, 'Google' Ford/Isuzu dealers in the country. Few and far between compared to Toyota .... not that you will need a dealer, super reliable. My present Toyota, not even a light-bulb in 5+ years.

You're not in Kansas any more. ?

Ford does not have a good spare parts supply. My wife was a manager at  Ford/Mazda , and they were constantly waiting for parts to arrive . This was the production plant

Thanks to all of you ... guys! Seems like can't survive in CR without your kindly supports!

I'd been using Toyota Corolla right after landing on my first job in Bangkok from 1985 to 1995 (Then I got married and had to let go my car) ? Love Toyota!

In the US, the husband loves outdoor activities, so we got a used Ford Explorer 1998. We let it go in 2014 because a senior gent. in a beat-up car hit it on the rear end, and insurance total it -- sadly!

I might consider Isuzu. I like the way Sceadugenga put it "The mechanic in the smallest village smiles when he sees one's coming".

But, my hubby still believes in Ford!!!! I guess you guys can't help me on this ?

15 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

One thing about Isuzu D-Max is that everyone knows how to fix it.

The mechanic in the smallest village smiles when he sees one coming.

If your local Somchai can fix a new D-Max, then he can fix a new Ford...

I wouldn't trust our local Somchai to check the oil in either ?

My 2011 Ranger served me well, 170k on the clock when we passed it on to a local.

I wouldn't be adverse to an Isuzu either though... Any modern pick up is better than a Nissan March...

5 hours ago, kevvy said:

Ford does not have a good spare parts supply. My wife was a manager at  Ford/Mazda , and they were constantly waiting for parts to arrive . This was the production plant

Luckily I never needed any parts for my Ranger ?

a friend of mine bought a new Isuzu D-Max the inside fell apart the same friend bought a new ford ranger 3.2 a couple of years back he loves it and ive driven it, it great and if i was going to buy a pick up i would buy the ford ranger 3.2.

The Fords  have an all new engine in higher spec  models , Isuzu's quite an old pick up now.

Archived