About buying a truck --- Ford or Isuzu or else

MadameM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, South said:

Go for a Toyota. Super reliable and a dealer in pretty much every Changwat.

Don't believe me, 'Google' Ford/Isuzu dealers in the country. Few and far between compared to Toyota .... not that you will need a dealer, super reliable. My present Toyota, not even a light-bulb in 5+ years.

You're not in Kansas any more. ?

exactly, toyota only way to go in thailand!

20 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Bought a new D MAX 7 yrs ago. Still like new in every way. customer service is great.Changed tires and battery once.

Our D Max is 8 years old, 3 batteries, 2nd set of tyres and normal services which are so cheap even in Phuket. Ranger looks nice but next year we will likely buy another Isuzu

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Ford is good and their rep is getting better. However, you need to check with any Ford owners in your area on how good the LOCAL after sales and service experience is. My experience with a couple of Rangers with a cumulative ~150,000 km over 7 years in Udon (sales and service) and Pattaya (service) has been very good but from what I have read, there's absolutely no decent Ford after sales service in Phuket and there's a few Ford dealerships in Bangkok to be avoided as well.

Agree 100%. I am a happy Ford ranger owner as well and am very lucky to have an excellent dealer and repair service locally. I have dealt with one dealer in Bangkok which I will never do again. Just the waiting time for repairs for any brand in BKK are forever, while my local dealer, you just pop in whenever and they will have it done in a few hours. Never had any problem with my XLT and the quality of the works overall is excellent.

Observations from what I have seen.  Pattaya songtaews are almost exclusively Isuzu and many seem to have been on the road a long time.  Toyota more popular in Pattaya area for privately owned trucks but when I was recently in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai it was noticeable there were far more Isuzu pickups that Toyota in that part of the country.   As others have mentioned the local dealer network and reputation is an important consideration and checking with people who own the various brands is a good way to get info.  If good reports on Ford and Isuzu would focus more on interior comfort, features and personal preferences for ride, etc.  Prices seem to be about the same for the various makes.

We have a Ranger 3.2 wildtrak for 3 years now and not a single rattle or thing wrong with it. Just the normal servicing. Had Isuzu before too and was fairly decent. You can't go wrong with either.

Just do not under any circumstances buy Chevrolet in Thailand and you'll be fine. Absolutely the worst vehicle I've ever had was a Chevrolet Captiva, things started to go wrong after 6 months and didn't stop until we sold it after 2 years.

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, kevvy said:

Ford does not have a good spare parts supply. My wife was a manager at  Ford/Mazda , and they were constantly waiting for parts to arrive . This was the production plant

Yes she was and yes, they were.

Since 2011, I have had 3 Ford ranger repairs done under warranty. Parts were ordered and delivered within 24-hours and the repair jobs done on a mutually agreeable appointment. Two of the repairs were same-day... or actually, same-morning. The last one took 5 days but they told me "3-to-5 days" at the get go.

I have also ordered, installed or replaced/upgraded Ford Ranger OEM parts several times. Get the part number, pay (or make deposit) when placing the order, parts arrived for collection within a few days with phone call to advise as such.

Do not be as stupid as me and buy a Ford.

These are some things that have happened with my 3 1/2 year old Ford Ranger 3.2
• manifold broken
• turbo broken
• lock the rear seat broken
• head gasket broken
• cam belt broken
• water pump broken
• air conditioning units broken
• water leakage at the car roof antenna (destroyed ceiling)
• holder interior rear view mirror broken
• side panel driver's seat broken

Ford charged for 9.6 liters of oil but only filled with 7.6 liters of oil.
Ford failed to adjust the engine after replacing cam belt which led to ruined air conditioning.

Ford refuses to compensate me for oil not delivered and broken car. They said that from now on I'm a VIP customer and every time I get to the workshop, the manager will personally take care of me.
Perhaps Thai people listen to such bullshit.

Never more a Ford for me. It will be a Toyota instead.

31 minutes ago, Can samui said:

Fix Or Repair Daily.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Another point not mentioned so far as I can see is resale/trade in value. Ford suffers as their value off the lot drops farther and faster than others.

I have a F, but I suspect my next truck will be a Nissan - the new model is out this year. Great diesels and I like the way the look is progressing, but yet to see what the new model will look like.

5 hours ago, kannot said:

The Fords  have an all new engine in higher spec  models , Isuzu's quite an old pick up now.

This is true. The Isuzu is less refined but for sure they are battle tested reliable and the after sales service is pretty good. I'll wait and see with regards to reliability issues with the new engines on the ford but it is an exciting development! Now if they could just get theirshit together with regards to after sales service. Personally, we decided to go with the Revo. Best service/ reliability of the class and they hold their resale value. We just sold a 12 year old 4x4 Vego for 350k to a used car dealer. Cash on the spot. Try doing that with a ford.

Cars are in thailand adjusted to the market just as they are sdjusted to thr us market or australian or german or french or dutch.

I would recomment ford

Have had toyota isuzu and ford. 

Ford is to me no1 and followed by iszuzu.

All cars are adjusted to the market. But you are free to imoort one.

Not so difficult as long as you knkw how to maintain the car ans know your way aroubd to get spare parts.

13 hours ago, South said:

We've tried to help you. Forget what the previous posters have said. Tata, the way of the future. ?

A future without most of the safety gear which is standard on most other makes? No thanks. Tatas are cheap for a reason.

15 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

If your local Somchai can fix a new D-Max, then he can fix a new Ford...

I wouldn't trust our local Somchai to check the oil in either ?

My 2011 Ranger served me well, 170k on the clock when we passed it on to a local.

I wouldn't be adverse to an Isuzu either though... Any modern pick up is better than a Nissan March...

Nothing wrong with Nissan!

I had a new Nissan NV back in 1994, no trouble. Wife's car in UK was a Nissan Quashqi, 7 years no trouble. Would certainly consider a Nissan X-trail here for the next car if Mitsubishi don't come up with a better design than the current Pajero Sport. The Ford  Everest is too claustrophobic.

To answer the Op's question, friends speak highly of the Ford Ranger but, as has been noted, check out your local dealer, some are useless.

Gentlemen! You're wonderful, and I'm getting headache!

So, it'll be down to the female instinct -- how she feels like sitting in, driving, parking, backing up, drinking coffee in one hand, eating Kaw tom mud in the other (while driving-- of course); how her hubby sleep in the car; how her bunnies enjoy the ride ?

I'll have to feel and drive each of them -- Ford, Isuzu, Toyota, Nissan, Miszu.

I'll let you, gentlemen, know in 5 - 6 weeks.

Would you like putting on a bet now? ?

I would only buy Toyota or Isuzu in Thailand for reliability parts and service.  Possibly Ford or Mazda third choice.  Get your service done for ever by the good local agent who is more liable to remember to check all the little things that Somchai will skip over, to bite you in the but, later.  All overseas "backhome" preferences and loyalties fall second to local wisdom.

7 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Clearly the only criteria to consider when buying a vehicle in Thailand is the Traffic Light Grand Prix ?

So why has nobody suggested the Mitsubishi Triton?

Toyotas must come with a free pillow for the driver... That was embarrassing ?

On 7/31/2018 at 10:37 AM, reenatinnakor said:

We have a Ranger 3.2 wildtrak for 3 years now and not a single rattle or thing wrong with it. Just the normal servicing. Had Isuzu before too and was fairly decent. You can't go wrong with either.

Just do not under any circumstances buy Chevrolet in Thailand and you'll be fine. Absolutely the worst vehicle I've ever had was a Chevrolet Captiva, things started to go wrong after 6 months and didn't stop until we sold it after 2 years.

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not a bit of problems from our Chevy Colorado in 3 years. Just oil and lube every 10000 km. The Fords are great looking though! I think it depends on what kind of an owner you are. Some like to trade every 2-3 years and some want to drive until the wheels fall off. Isuzu’s are ugly to me but every (most)Thai would vote for it!

Archived