Minimum age to ride a motorbike

bluesofa

I've looked in the pinned posts, but can't seem to find an answer.

So what is the minimum age to (take a test) to drive a motorbike in Thailand?

If someone could include the same for a car too, it would be appreciated)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Namplik said:

From 15-18 years old only up to 110cc.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand the answer - what does 15-18 years old mean? That's an age range.

I want to know the minimum age.

Or am I missing something?

3 minutes ago, Namplik said:

15 is the minimum age, and they are only aloud to drive a motorcycle up to 110 cc. 

Car license is 18 years.

Ah! Thanks!

So that's age 15 to apply for a licence up to 110cc.

I thought the (regular) bikes here went up to 150cc? If I've got that correct, what's the minimum age for a 150cc? Or are there other regulations regarding that?

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ah! Thanks!

So that's age 15 to apply for a licence up to 110cc.

I thought the (regular) bikes here went up to 150cc? If I've got that correct, what's the minimum age for a 150cc? Or are there other regulations regarding that?

15 year olds can drive motorcycles up to 110cc

For bigger bikes they have to be 18

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

In regards to motor vehicle laws in Thailand, they do not exist since there isn't enough enforcement to make the laws valid??

I understand, but apart from wanting to follow the law regarding my son, there's also insurance to consider (just too ferang of me, I know).

If he had an accident and the other party tried to claim off our insurance, they certainly wouldn't entertain paying out if they realised he was under-age.

Had a similar situation with a distant family member who allowed their daughter - age 13 - to drive their motorbike and she of course ran into a ferang's car.

I was dragged in to help out, but when I pointed out to her parents about her being under-age, her dad replied that "she was grown up now". To which I said, "well tell the insurance company that, then."

Didn't go down well, but it didn't bother me a bit. Their fault, their problem, but it didn't stop them pleading with the ferang that "we have no money," when really they should have told him, "we are irresponsible."

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

There are, of course, the odd exceptions........:biggrin:

Image result for thai kids on motorbikes

That sticker is the same insurance company we use. We have the premium package though, a statue of Buddha instead of a sticker.

My 45 year old wife was very indignant when I made her finally get a license last year. As she says, she was driving her mother to the markets and herself to school at 12 years old and would challenge any police at a traffic stop.

I drive a motorcycle on Thai roads for over 30 years.

Never had or have a license to ride such.

My son is the only one who has one, needed one for his work at the time.

You don't want to know how I learned to ride a MC.

I am 81 years old and after falling down a couple times no more MCs for me. :cheesy:

My understanding here is kids going to school on motorbikes don't need licences until they are 15yrs of age. Ever see a policeman stop a child on a motorbike?? ........ answer "No". Even after school a small child riding a "loud" bike can do what he wants at speed ..... again no police action, but the moment they are 15yrs old everything seems to change. Police stop most of these idiots, especially at night with check points as they are fair game, without any backlash from the community. It's a crazy way of doing things ............. parents allowing children to ride bikes to school is the norm here ........... no one seems to want to change the rules, which are basically ignored period as being inconveinient. Some have at least three (3) kids onboard as passengers ........ peak times are really frightening. However, school buses are not provided, budgets are not available .... so it's a case of "fending" for yourself. 

The unwritten rules are;

1. Until you are 15yrs of age ........... a licence is not necessary.

2. 15yrs of age ............. motorbike licence required. Car licence is not allowed.

3. 18yrs of age ............. motorbike & car licence is required

3 minutes ago, Daveyh said:

The unwritten rules are;

1. Until you are 15yrs of age ........... a licence is not necessary.

2. 15yrs of age ............. motorbike licence required. Car licence is not allowed.

3. 18yrs of age ............. motorbike & car licence is required

Makes complete sense !!!

34 minutes ago, bandito said:

I drive a motorcycle on Thai roads for over 30 years.

Never had or have a license to ride such.

Are you proud of that? Totally irresposible. No licence = no insurance.

18 hours ago, Namplik said:

15 is the minimum age, and they are only aloud to drive a motorcycle up to 110 cc. 

Car license is 18 years.

That's in the city.  In rural area, i.e., most of the country, the minimum age is when the tyke can reach the accelerator, the brake, and the foot pedals.  Motorcycle engine size is whatever mummy and daddy are driving which is generally between 110 and 125 cc.  Regardless of what is 'legal', that is the reality. 

No child of mine will ever be allowed to ride a motorcycle in this country at any age as roadcraft and law enforcement are completely absent. How some parents can carry small children without helmets, or unrestrained in cars or songtaews is beyond me.

And don't give me poverty as a reason, if enough parents, the Government  and the police insisted on caring for children, proper school and public bus services would soon be introduced, not just deathtrap songtaews. But irresponsible parents use the excuse of having to go to work to avoid their responsibility to make sure their children travel between home and school safely.  

And without the benefit of an effective insurance liability and court system, children and families  involved in life changing accidents are condemned to a life of suffering and little rehabilitation. 

My son started high school, in Surin. When he was 13. He was issued, with a written permit to ride,by his school. This permit only allowed him to ride to school and back home. The school also paid for insurance for all students.And as already mentioned, he had been riding a bike around the neighborhood, since he was 9 . His grandfather taught him to ride!!

Archived