Minimum age to ride a motorbike

bluesofa

21 hours ago, Namplik said:

To drive anything over 110 cc you must be 18 years of age...

Thank you at least I've learnt something about the 110cc  

Before I never understood why motorcycle manufacturers bother to build two types of an engine with such a ridicule 15cc difference with the common 125cc  :smile:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, KhunAussie52 said:

My son started high school, in Surin. When he was 13. He was issued, with a written permit to ride,by his school. This permit only allowed him to ride to school and back home. The school also paid for insurance for all students.And as already mentioned, he had been riding a bike around the neighborhood, since he was 9 . His grandfather taught him to ride!!

Does that really mean they paid for insurance cover through an insurance company, or does it perhaps mean the school undertook to settle any accident claims themselves?

Just interested in the legal position there.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Does that really mean they paid for insurance cover through an insurance company, or does it perhaps mean the school undertook to settle any accident claims themselves?

Just interested in the legal position there.

It is my understanding, that an arrangement had been made between the school and a insurer to cover permit holders.

My sons school in the north of Thailand has a system in place where now the authorities come to the school and they have a test day to acquire their licence which I think is a good idea there is also strict rules in place which are inforced of no helmet or modified bikes (exhaust, handle bars etc) are not allowed on school premises

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I understand, but apart from wanting to follow the law regarding my son, there's also insurance to consider (just too ferang of me, I know).

If he had an accident and the other party tried to claim off our insurance, they certainly wouldn't entertain paying out if they realised he was under-age.

Had a similar situation with a distant family member who allowed their daughter - age 13 - to drive their motorbike and she of course ran into a ferang's car.

I was dragged in to help out, but when I pointed out to her parents about her being under-age, her dad replied that "she was grown up now". To which I said, "well tell the insurance company that, then."

Didn't go down well, but it didn't bother me a bit. Their fault, their problem, but it didn't stop them pleading with the ferang that "we have no money," when really they should have told him, "we are irresponsible."

I fully understand your thinking, my initial comment is just my humor to the situation.

Although, I taught my son how to drive the right way he has been riding a bike since he was 11 but restricted to just our neighborhood area. But when he turned 15 years old we went and got the license.  I've myself had 3 renewals now and I can safely say regardless of the law in terms of the size or CC one can drive no one has ever asked on the motor vehicle application form, police that have stopped me nor has any insurance company after seeing my license mentioned whether my current license fits the bike I'm driving. I started on 110, move to a 150 and now 300 CC,  been stopped on each bike and never been told my license is not valid.

As for insurance, outside the government, 1st class to 3rd party the bike itself is insured based on the CC. yes! your concern is right if the insurance is doing their job prior to coverage of an accident is to make sure if your son has a license.

When my son applied at 15, no question was ever asked regarding the size he planned to drive. He fully understands from me if the bike is used in a crime, he is drunk, or found to be operating recklessly, no helmet, even with a license most likely the claim will be denied.

All the big bikes 150-300 have coverage, he is 19 now been stopped at police checkpoints and never has his license been an issue.

In my own personal experience and every Farang story, I have heard in regards to an accident with Thais especially underage consider it a lost. I could safely say that 99.9 of Thais don't have coverage outside of the required government. I believe it is this country practice, from the legal system to the population they believe we have the money to lose so it is their right to ask us to suck it up plus you can't get something if you are dealing with people who are barely getting by or at least that is what they always claim. The rule of thumb here is if you are Thai pick up yourself and give a Wai, if you are a farang right or wrong you pay?

On 7/30/2018 at 3:23 PM, bluesofa said:

Ah! Thanks!

So that's age 15 to apply for a licence up to 110cc.

I thought the (regular) bikes here went up to 150cc? If I've got that correct, what's the minimum age for a 150cc? Or are there other regulations regarding that?

So why dont you think what you want to know then ask the right question insread of pratting around

On 7/30/2018 at 2:29 AM, Namplik said:

To drive anything over 110 cc you must be 18 years of age...

Sorry to quibble, but you are stating the law, which is clearly and totally disregarded in this country, along with most laws.

The real answer is that your arms must be long enough to reach the throttle only; reaching brake calipers or pedals is not required.

If your arms are not long enough you can ask your 5 year old sibling to drive you and the baby.

5 minutes ago, Namplik said:

Only in thai, use Google translate, the 110 cc limit is mentioned on the bottom of the article.

Arghh! Talk about me missing the bleedin' obvious there, thanks!

It just triggers more questions though:

Personal motorcycle driving license Must be at least 18 years old.
    Temporary driver's license Must be at least 18 years old.
    Public car license Three-wheeled driving license Must be at least 22 years old.
    Motorcycle Driver's License Must be at least 20 years old.
What the difference between 1 and 4, I wonder - what's 'Personal Motorcycle Driver's License' as opposed to just 'Motorcycle Driver's License'?

What's a Public car - is that a taxi?
A three-wheeled driving license - a food vendor-type motorbike?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Arghh! Talk about me missing the bleedin' obvious there, thanks!

It just triggers more questions though:

Personal motorcycle driving license Must be at least 18 years old.
    Temporary driver's license Must be at least 18 years old.
What the difference between 1 and 4, I wonder - what's 'Personal Motorcycle Driver's License' as opposed to just 'Motorcycle Driver's License'?

What's a Public car - is that a taxi?
A three-wheeled driving license - a food vendor-type motorbike?

3: Tuk Tuk

4: Vin motosai(motorcycle taxi driver)

2 hours ago, KhunAussie52 said:

My insurance company, here in Surin. Will not insure motor scooters.

When you say insurance...are you meaning 1st class ? ..maybe try AA insurance who I believe are sponsors so an ADD should show somewhere for their number.

Most any shop displaying this sign can give you the mandatory  "3rd party" insurance.

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

3 hours ago, johng said:

When you say insurance...are you meaning 1st class ? ..maybe try AA insurance who I believe are sponsors so an ADD should show somewhere for their number.

Most any shop displaying this sign can give you the mandatory  "3rd party" insurance.

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

I was asking about actual scooter insurance. Not 3rd party!!

On 8/1/2018 at 4:15 PM, Namplik said:
On 8/1/2018 at 4:12 PM, bluesofa said:

3: Tuk Tuk

4: Vin motosai(motorcycle taxi driver)

Going slightly OT, regarding number 3. Tuk Tuk.

The Tuk Tuks I regard as 'Bangkok Tuk Tuks' - the blue/yellow-ish ones that everyone knows, have a licence plate. I seem to remember they're manufactured by Daihatsu, or is that perhaps only the engine?

Anyway, out in the provinces there are other flavours, - see the photo for an example. These don't have any licence plate at all.

Does that mean that being unregistered, there's no driving licence regulations covering them, in which case, probably no insurance either?

image.png.869276a99ca05eb6e5dd79d5bdd88f41.png  image.png.6b501300ab69228130a5f6facb90f61f.png

12 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Thanks for the answers. What is the helmet laws please?

Everyone must wear one, including passenger or get fined..But where I am most don't wear one as the risk of being caught is near nil..?.

Archived