Loose horses cause fatal bus crash in Phetchabun

webfact

Horses loose on Phetchabun roadside cause bus crash, passenger death

By The Nation

news74523_855.jpg

Pictures (3): Krobkuakao//Channel 3

A bus swerving to avoid a herd of horses ended up in the ditch on a Phetchabun road early on Tuesday, leading to the death of one passenger and injuries to 26 others.

Police said the accident happened at 4.15am on the Saraburi-Lom Sak road in Ban Sakae Ngam village in Tambon Ban Tok of Phetchabun’s Muang district.

The air-conditioned bus was heading from Rayong to Phetchabun’s Lom Sak district when the accident occurred.

relate224596.jpg

The bus driver, Samrit Thep-inthorn, 70, said he saw a herd of horses cross the road a short distance ahead of the bus. He swerved to the left to avoid them and plunged into the roadside ditch and was unable to stop before hitting a roadside power pole.

Killed was a 69-year-old woman, Anu Krasi, a resident of Phetchabun's Muang district.

Rescuers rushed another 26 injured passengers to the provincial hospital.

relate224605.jpg

Local Pol Sr Sgt-Major Sarayut Thongdej said the accident followed on the heels of a similar incident that had happened just 10 minutes earlier. In that event, a car hit a horse on the other side of the road from where the bus encountered the animals. The horse was hit again and killed by a pickup truck, while the rest of the horses ran across the road.

Sarayut said the horses, which are about six to seven years old, belonged to a local college. He did not know why they were left outside to graze roadside, leading to the twin accidents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351118

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-31

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

the variety of ways to get hurt or killed in this country is amazing.

It doesn't just happen in this country....Wild Deer are threats in many countries.

PS.... Can't see why the  reporter felt it was important to inform us that the bus was "air conditioned".

RIP....to the deceased.

17 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

It doesn't just happen in this country....Wild Deer are threats in many countries.

PS.... Can't see why the  reporter felt it was important to inform us that the bus was "air conditioned".

RIP....to the deceased.

you're right, back where I'm from when people hit deer or moose it's a bad ending, sometimes the animals get lodged in the wind shield and kick the driver to death.?

22 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

Kangaroos in our neck of the woods.

Year I've hit a few, one thing you don't do is swerve to miss  them. I was only doing about 80kph when I saw one hit it at about 60kph in a small snub nose truck cost me $1600.00 damage

39 minutes ago, peter48 said:

The fact he is 70 is most likely not relevant unless he was not wearing classes etc. Older drivers are often more experienced or less wreckless. In Europe many drivers are such age. Many top executives and politicians like Trump are over 70. The guy now running Malaysia is in 90s. Its more to do with how you age rather just age. Clearly this is very sad.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brain-test-judges-how-old-you-are-based-on-your-reaction-time-a6729966.html

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Stupid comment. So what do you recommend to people that have no car? Or want to reach a destination that has no Airport or Railway station?
I've used bus services of Transport Company (999 or Bor Sor Kor) and some of the better private companies and never had any issues.
By the way I rather hit a horse (or have any kind of accident) with a bus than a car.

Maybe he meant "vans" but mistakenly wrote buses?

51 minutes ago, Netease said:

Year I've hit a few, one thing you don't do is swerve to miss  them. I was only doing about 80kph when I saw one hit it at about 60kph in a small snub nose truck cost me $1600.00 damage

I remember driving on that road to the west of Fitzroy Crossing one time and there were thousands of the buggers keeping warm on the shoulder late at night.  They get mesmerized by the headlights and don't move but as soon as you get level with them and the lights pass then they jump straight at you.  We were in a truck but I would hate to be in a car.

Answer is never swerve, just brake & hope for the best...

In southern England one morning I had a very large fallow buck jump over a hedge out of a field right into my path, first thing I saw was thing airborne, I just braked, ducked and hoped for the best..

it literally landed half on my bonnet, half on the front near-side wing, slewed off sideways taking out my windshield with it's antlers.

Lots of noise but no injuries to me or the car that was coming towards me or the one that had been following me...

if I'd swerved anything could have happened!

As for the deer it popped the hedge back into the field and trotted off as if nothing had happened... halfway across the field it stopped to look back in disgust at us... not even a limp!!

52 minutes ago, peter48 said:

The fact he is 70 is most likely not relevant unless he was not wearing classes etc. Older drivers are often more experienced or less wreckless. In Europe many drivers are such age. Many top executives and politicians like Trump are over 70. The guy now running Malaysia is in 90s. Its more to do with how you age rather just age. Clearly this is very sad.

Sorry, but maybe you should get to Specsavers yourself ?:-

"unless he was not wearing classes etc"

RE - Loose horses cause fatal bus crash in Phetchabun

Its well known if you release horsepower on the street an accident may occur…:whistling:

4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

….and again someone fled the scene (in easy trot) - this time surprisingly not the driver....

25 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Answer is never swerve, just brake & hope for the best...

In southern England one morning I had a very large fallow buck jump over a hedge out of a field right into my path, first thing I saw was thing airborne, I just braked, ducked and hoped for the best..

it literally landed half on my bonnet, half on the front near-side wing, slewed off sideways taking out my windshield with it's antlers.

Lots of noise but no injuries to me or the car that was coming towards me or the one that had been following me...

if I'd swerved anything could have happened!

As for the deer it popped the hedge back into the field and trotted off as if nothing had happened... halfway across the field it stopped to look back in disgust at us... not even a limp!!

Part of PSV (public service vehicle) training. Never take evasive action for animals if it will endanger the passengers in your care.  But...

1 hour ago, peter48 said:

Older drivers are often more experienced or less wreckless.

Actually one would want an older driver to be more wreck-less. Any driver for that matter.

reckless
ˈrɛkləs/
adjective

1. heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous.
    "you mustn't be so reckless"
    synonyms: rash, careless, thoughtless, incautious, heedless, unheeding, inattentive, hasty, overhasty, precipitate, precipitous, impetuous, impulsive, daredevil, devil-may-care, hot-headed; 
    irresponsible, wild, foolhardy, headlong, over-adventurous, over-venturesome, audacious, death-or-glory; 
    ill-advised, injudicious, misguided, hare-brained, madcap, imprudent, unwise, ill-considered, unconsidered, ill-conceived, unthinking, indiscreet, mindless, negligent; 
    tearaway; 
    informalharum-scarum, bull-in-a-china-shop;
    raretemerarious
    "he was angry with himself and that made him reckless"

5 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Yep I often see the stupidity of cows on the roadside of very busy roads and round here they like to bring them home IN THE  DARK and I mean pitch black as Im in the country and theres  not  much lighting..........insane!!

LOS is a country that allows cows and buffalo's, owned by folk with no/little land, to roam the streets looking for grass to eat..Just another risk drivers have to deal with...[emoji36]
In England there is a big roundabout near the Whips Cross hospital that cuts through Epping forrest...there is an old by law allowing the "commoner" to graze their cattle on the roundabout....but if a motorist hits and kills one he can take it home for dinner ! [emoji14]

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Part of PSV (public service vehicle) training. Never take evasive action for animals if it will endanger the passengers in your care.  But...

tell the retarded  dogs in our  village ( I take that back its the other drivers), because the locals drive round them they have "learnt  "  this  behaviour and are rather surprised when I dont, squashed two to date in 5  years.

Total driver error .     Since when would any competent , professional driver change direction at speed thereby losing control to avoid an animal resulting in the vehicle going into a ditch   ??      Absouloute Rubbish .   Buses and coaches are designed with seatbelts , and an impact in the front would spare the passengers in the rear . Indeed it is recognised practice to apply the service brake to the maximum , utilising the ABS and hit any obstacle full on keeping as much control as possible and confining the impact to the front to minimise injury to the passengers behind    , Not to swerve to avoid an animal  , killing a passenger    KR

2 hours ago, Netease said:

My sons girlfriend recently hit a big roo in their new Suzuki Vitara....Insurance wrote it off!

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Stupid comment. So what do you recommend to people that have no car? Or want to reach a destination that has no Airport or Railway station?
I've used bus services of Transport Company (999 or Bor Sor Kor) and some of the better private companies and never had any issues.
By the way I rather hit a horse (or have any kind of accident) with a bus than a car.

Right on 

1 hour ago, ttrd said:

RE - Loose horses cause fatal bus crash in Phetchabun

Its well known if you release horsepower on the street an accident may occur…:whistling:

Back home I owned a couple of horses myself. It's always been on my mind that they could cause an accident. One night the police rang me on the phone and told me that my horses were window shopping in our village. Some fool has taken down the electric fence and let them go out.

Luckily the policeman was a horse owner himself and he had two bridles in his car, so he could help me to take them back to their pasture.

One very early morning, when I went to the airport, I got hold of a race horse that was grazing next to a busy road. Fortunately, that early it wasn't busy. Good thing I also had a headstall and a rope in my car.

Archived