It's payday - but foreign newstarts will get paid "tomorrow"

onlycw

No, some schools have different pay days for various reasons.   I know one larger school that use to pay foreign teachers one day before Thai Teachers.   When they went to direct deposit for those who wanted it and had an account at the right bank, the deposit was made the day after pay day.  

I am not sure why they would make a distinction between new teachers and existing staff, but I would expect that it may involve some sort of administrative processes that make it a little different.

I wouldn't worry unless tomorrow it doesn't happen.  

As I've mentioned before, contract teachers (both Thai and foreign) and Thai government teachers are employed, funded and paid through different routes.

If you were paid on the same day, and some may be, it would simply be coincidence.

Don't get paranoid about it!

Looks like no one want to see the problem what some people have because they must pay their own bills on the first and not on the 2. or 3. day of the month. If you not get your salary on the the 1. you will have a problem. ?

4 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Looks like no one want to see the problem what some people have because they must pay their own bills on the first and not on the 2. or 3. day of the month. If you not get your salary on the the 1. you will have a problem. ?

Only if you have absolutely no reserves at all. 

6 minutes ago, snowgard said:

For anybody to be living like that( hand to mouth) must be hell.

Surely nobody (farang) living here is that desperate.

3 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

And your point is? Being payed the day

If one is an English teacher demanding to be "payed" on time, one is probably in the wrong occupation.

Payed has a common and historical use as a nautical term having to do with ropes and ship hulls.

• The captain payed out additional rope for the sails.

20 hours ago, onlycw said:

Does anyone knows the law

Heaven help us.

If it's any consolation, I know of Thai contract teachers in government schools (ie not the permanent Thai teachers) who haven't been paid for months.

I'm not saying this justifies late payment to foreigners, but it puts it into perspective. Too often we foreigners just see one piece of the jigsaw, and invent all sorts of conspiracy theories to fill in the gaps.

Could be foreigners pay process has additional requirements 

and reason for one day delay

or Foreigners pay rate is higher and needs additional approval 

easiest way to find out ask your employer 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

For anybody to be living like that( hand to mouth) must be hell.

Surely nobody (farang) living here is that desperate.

I am sure a lot of people living here has this problem. They not get pension and MUST work. Their savings what they had years ago before they come to Thailand are gone and now ..... they need money to live here longer.

What do you think how much the most farang teachers earn? I am sure a lot of them earn not enough for their visa requirements.

11 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Why???? I think they are old enough to choose self what way they want to go.

How do you feel about illegals in your home country?

Because that is what clearly said in your post.

" I am sure a lot of them earn not enough for their visa requirements.  "

4 minutes ago, tomas557 said:

How do you feel about illegals in your home country?

Because that is what clearly said in your post.

" I am sure a lot of them earn not enough for their visa requirements.  "

Illegal? What a stupid comment!!! Did your phantasy gone wild?

I think for tell something like this you must know the full background of this people. 

Maybe they have also a small renting income from the flat/house what they rent out in their home country.

Or a disabled pension but they want still work ...

Or their kids earn enough and give they the needed money ..... 

It give a lot of things more what YOU must to know before you can say someone is illegal in this country!!!

4 minutes ago, snowgard said:

Illegal? What a stupid comment!!! Did your phantasy gone wild?

I think for tell something like this you must know the full background of this people. 

Maybe they have also a small renting income from the flat/house what they rent out in their home country.

Or a disabled pension but they want still work ...

Or their kids earn enough and give they the needed money ..... 

It give a lot of things more what YOU must to know before you can say someone is illegal in this country!!!

So you agree now that your previous comment that they don't earn enough for their visa requirements was just some drivel?

Snowgard said

They not get pension and MUST work. Their savings what they had years ago before they come to Thailand are gone

I am sure a lot of them earn not enough for their visa requirements.

When someone can not comply with the visa requirements, then guess what.........They are illegal

Goodbye

8 hours ago, snowgard said:

responsible enough to teach 190 kids per day, but has no money in the bank and can't manage money?  Something wrong there, folks.

1 hour ago, snowgard said:

What this has todo with teaching 190 kids the day? If this were important all schools in Thailand must be closed because 99,9999% of teachers have debts of up to some million baht. And can't pay it back.

You are not a maths or English teacher are you? 

The debts of Thai teachers should be and are irrelevant to your post. 

I do agree that not getting paid on the agree date can be a hassle if you have regular bills  to be paid,  rent etc. 

But as other posters have said if you are relying on your teachers income to the extent that late payment is an issue then it is time to sit back and reflect on your personal situation.  Maybe Thailand is not the place to be at this point in your life.

Good luck.

and only 30,000 of the 450,000 borrowers are in default...not much difference in the rest of the population for non-secured loans.  I would bet quite a few are ashamed of the deadbeats for making them look bad.

I'd thought by law, Thai public school teachers - I thought everyone by law needed to be paid on the first of the month. Hence the chaos at the banks as well.

If you work at some language center, well ... that's why I'd never work at a language center!!

Part of accepting a job should be sizing up your employers ability to pay you. If you are dumb enough to take a job, then stay with a job where deposits are sketchy, you deserve it. You know the situation and have not chosen to leave.

Having said that, nothing runs correctly in this country and what's important is that you are consistently paid with the appropriate taxes deducted. If you can't last a week or two without being paid you have no business being outside your home country and perhaps your parents home no matter your age. What absolute folly to be living in a foreign country and not have 150k at an absolute minimum stashed here in country. This also puts you in a horrible bargaining position when job hopping, if it were not self evident.

Finally, all wisened expats know never, ever loan money to Thais OR foreigners.

Well, the cash was paid on Friday afternoon, after the main KTB had closed its doors. We all had to hand over photocopies of our passports. And then all could see other teachers' salaries ?

The small KTB branch at a supermarket to the rescue: they made the transfer for 1,600 THB and insisted on photocopying the credit cards which I have had to pay off. Still, it was a huge relief! 

OBEC has had concerns following an audit. Special permission was needed to get the newstarts paid by cash. But all is well that ends well. (Just don't make us suffer unnecessarily again...)

Most districts in the US, pay on a half month delay.  It would be difficult to have it ready on the first,for not impossible.  But agree with comments about sizing up your employers ability to pay..on time..I started newspaper delivery this weekend..first time, worked like a charm, and even got a follow up call to make sure.  Got a new tv a few months after new ISP..promised cable stations weren't working...a man was knocking on my door in three hours after a Saturday afternoon call.....haven't had bank glitch in 20 years....Some things do work quite well, and good businesses take care of customers,  farang  or not...School s are filled with people, who couldn't survive in the business world..that is quite obvious.  I once arrived at a school for a multi-day sub job...they asked about my background.  I used an extremely dirty word to any educrat :  I mentioned I had worked in "accounting.". Their jaws dropped, I was instantly labeled a boatrocker. ..typical.

Archived