Aloha Poke Schmaloha Schmoke -- "Cultural Appropriation" in Food

Jingthing

This is kind of a big issue with the PC crowd -- so called cultural appropriation in food. Like you have to be Mexican to cook a burrito and if you're not you're "stealing" Mexican culture. I don't buy it! International food is a big mish mash of international influences and that's the way food lovers ought to like it. Some of the best developments are about the mish mash. Relating to the Vietnamese Cajun big in Houston now which I haven't tried but sounds great. Who stole from who? Who cares? If it's delicious, makes no diff.

There are some funny issues around this though. Like in the U.S. you might be able to buy an incredible street food style taco cooked by Mexicans for a few dollars, while some culinary schooled white chef might pimp it up and charge ten dollars. Is that racism? Who cares? If some people think it's worth ten dollars, then so be it. 

But this story goes too far. Aloha Poke Co. -- I know where I think they can stick their stinkin' haole (farang) Poke!

A Midwestern chain told Hawaiians to stop using ‘Aloha’ with ‘Poke,’ igniting a heated debate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2018/07/30/a-midwestern-chain-told-hawaiians-to-stop-using-aloha-with-poke-igniting-a-heated-debate/

tutsi is in a bar in Philadephia and notices that 'thai turkey salad' is on the bar menu and he asks the bartender: 'do you got a thai chef to prepare that? if so then he is a fake thai chef as there are no turkeys in Thailand and a real thai chef wouldn't know what to do with one...'

'and I'll have another shot of Tullamore Dew and if yer not a real irish bartender then this shall be a matter for the local Better Business Bureau...'

about that time he was comin' around the bar with a baseball bat and then I said: 'feets, do yer stuff!'

Archived