Hypothetical Question: Need To Show Income. No Job. Self-employed.

Possibility 1: the playboy puts his wife to work so that she can show a minimum monthly income of 40,000 baht.

Possibility 2: he stops being a mere playboy (perhaps his wife will assist him in this endeavour) and takes employment.

Possibility 3: without evidence of the required income, he cannot get an annual extension of stay and instead gets repeated non-O visas at Thai consulates for the purpose of visiting family.

--

Maestro

Possibility 1: the playboy puts his wife to work so that she can show a minimum monthly income of 40,000 baht.

Possibility 2: he stops being a mere playboy (perhaps his wife will assist him in this endeavour) and takes employment.

Possibility 3: without evidence of the required income, he cannot get an annual extension of stay and instead gets repeated non-O visas at Thai consulates for the purpose of visiting family.

--

Maestro

Unhelpful, petty comments !

1. Possibly a letter from your embassy where you have shown them copies of large

fixed dposits etc. in an overseas bank.

2. Proof of rental income from overseas property.

3. Standing order from an overseas bank for > Bt 40,000 p.m.

I understand that it is your Embassy that you need to convince, and not Immigration

since it is the Embassy who will provide the letter.

Not sure though.

At the end of the day all the Thai authorities want to ensure is that you are

not a penniless bum who could some day cause them problems.

Naka.

Edited by naka

--

Maestro

Unhelpful, petty comments !

1. Possibly a letter from your embassy where you have shown them copies of large

I understand that it is your Embassy that you need to convince, and not Immigration

Not sure though.

At the end of the day all the Thai authorities want to ensure is that you are

not a penniless bum who could some day cause them problems.

Naka.

I agree, Maestro's comments were petty and that is why I ignored them. Your comments were appreciated. Thank you.

You've got to admit that Maestro did answer at least part of your question though, and perfectly valid suggestions. :D You could certainly employ your wife (and pay the tax on 40k).

Naka.

I don't think (1.) is going to work, they do specify INCOME not pots of cash :o

(2.) Will work fine assuming it's over the equivalent of 40k per month.

(3.) May work, a lot depends how the deposit is detailed on your statement, mine show as SWIFT transfer on my UK account (from Luxembourg account), it looks exactly like my salary payments did before I moved everything to Lux.

EDIT To fix screwy quote :D

Edited by Crossy

What do they want as proof of income? If a wire from outside the country is not good enough, what do the Playboys do who have money, don't work, and are under 50 but married to Thai and supporting a Thai?

=========================================================================I am in exactly the same situation (or will be shortly). Was previously under the old deposit in Thai bank arrangement (married to Thai with 2 kids), but went to work outside Thailand for the past 2 years. I'm under 50, but have sufficient means to not have to work again. I have been told by my Embassy that a show of sufficient financial capacity (parameters determined by them) will be enough for them to certify that I meet the income criterion. The proof is in the application process. I'll let you know.

If a wire from outside the country is not good enough...

I understood the OP’s question to exclude the possibility of money being brought into Thailand from abroad, which would therefore exclude income earned abroad.

If for an extension for living with Thai wife Immigration also accepts foreign income as evidence, not only income on which taxes are paid in Thailand, then of course the options mentioned by Naka are also valid.

Regarding my possibility 1, I have seen posts by several members who have their “marriage” extensions based on the wife’s income. Also, there have been many posts by married men under 50 who are here long-term on repeated non-O visas from Thai consulates, which was my possibility 3. And I have seen posts by others who took a job, saying that they would be too bored without it.

Reviewing the new rules just now, I see that income other than tax-paid income in Thailand does seem to count towards the monthly 40k requirement:

evidences of personal income of either party or both that shows the total income of both parties not less than 40,000 Baht per month, such as the evidence of the personal income tax filing and the receipt, evidence of being a pensioner, credentials of receiving the interest of the saving money, or the evidences of having other income from other related organizations.
If foreign-earned income is allowed, then my reply to the original post should read:
If a wire from outside the country is not good enough...

Who says so?

--

Maestro

(3.) May work, a lot depends how the deposit is detailed on your statement, mine show as SWIFT transfer on my UK account (from Luxembourg account), it looks exactly like my salary payments did before I moved everything to Lux.

Crossy, if you are on a “marriage” extension with this, not a retirement extension, then this is the obvious answer for the hypothetical playboy in the original post.

--

Maestro

Here is a scenario that might fit a number of multiple Non-O wishing to enjoy the fruit of their labor in relaxed LOS. After X many years working overseas, quite often hard and making many sacrifice to accomodate the Thai family in some unwelcoming culture, Dude decides he has enough (money and grief) and return to Thailand to enjoy early retirement or whatever plan he might have. Now he is told to get to his embassy for confirmation of his income..... Good morning Mr Secretary, can I have a letter certifying that I have money stashed away in offshore account because I haven't worked in my home country for the past 25 years. How long will it take for the Taxman to ring you up?

Making sure that people have money to support themselves and their family is one thing, getting them to disclose where their money is step to far and a serious infringement to freedom. Well, I guess I forgot that foreigners have no right in LOS, except of course to spend money.

Crossy, if you are on a "marriage" extension with this, not a retirement extension, then this is the obvious answer for the hypothetical playboy in the original post.

I'm actually employed (by a HK company) but the embassy reckon the bank statements plus a letter from my company (not exactly difficult to generate) is sufficient for their letter for a marriage extension.

Going to be putting this to the test when I return from Manila in april.

Here is a scenario that might fit a number of multiple Non-O wishing to enjoy the fruit of their labor in relaxed LOS. After X many years working overseas, quite often hard and making many sacrifice to accomodate the Thai family in some unwelcoming culture, Dude decides he has enough (money and grief) and return to Thailand to enjoy early retirement or whatever plan he might have. Now he is told to get to his embassy for confirmation of his income..... Good morning Mr Secretary, can I have a letter certifying that I have money stashed away in offshore account because I haven't worked in my home country for the past 25 years. How long will it take for the Taxman to ring you up?

Making sure that people have money to support themselves and their family is one thing, getting them to disclose where their money is step to far and a serious infringement to freedom. Well, I guess I forgot that foreigners have no right in LOS, except of course to spend money.

Freedom? What's that?

Edited by jeffrosner

Don’t worry, Thailand’s immigration office won’t grass on you to your home country’s revenue department. But it is true that for certain extension options immigration constrains you to disclose your foreign income and/or wealth to your country’s embassy. Who was it who said that there are only two things certain in life: death and taxes?

--

Maestro

Don’t worry, Thailand’s immigration office won’t grass on you to your home country’s revenue department. But it is true that for certain extension options immigration constrains you to disclose your foreign income and/or wealth to your country’s embassy. Who was it who said that there are only two things certain in life: death and taxes?

--

Maestro

There are actually 3, birth come first and despite what a fair number of people think no one chose the place.

I would not have though that the Thai immigration would bother with communicating with any foreign government, save Interpol as it seems to be the case. But the embassies will certainly refer back to their home country.

Francis, I had and have the same disclosure concerns that you have. I have hence split investments and will only show what is absolutely necessary to generate the required amount. That's in spite of the fact that I should have no problems being a non-resident of my home country which absolves me from paying tax. I just don't like anyone knowing what I have and where I have it. My business, not theirs. :o

Pots of money are usually invested to produce interest.

No need to show the capital sum, just evidence of income.

Where the money is invested should not be a point of issue.

Talk to your embassy and ask what they require to see to certify "investment income"

for visa purposes.

Pots of money are usually invested to produce interest.

No need to show the capital sum, just evidence of income.

Where the money is invested should not be a point of issue.

Talk to your embassy and ask what they require to see to certify "investment income"

for visa purposes.

Yes ... Very good suggestion, as it is they who need to be convinced !

Crossy. My suggestion which I did not make clear, was to show 1. as an addendum to

3. as proof of being able to keep up these monthly transfers.

Naka.

Edited by naka

One of our American compatriots no doubt. That horrible IRS mob

just will not let them go. :o

Naka.