Volunteer work for young adult

OzMan

My daughter, age 21, is interested in working as a volunteer in bkk, she currently lives in Australia. Many advertised volunteer positions I would have to pay a lot of money for her to participate. Are there any volunteer organizations that do not require fees to be paid? Even outside bkk like CM with the elephants, refugees or orphans would be OK.

I would ask what skills does she have?

There are things like kids camps where she could work and actually get paid for it if she has what they are looking for....a decent way to semi finance a bit of travelling around.

4 hours ago, OzMan said:

Many advertised volunteer positions I would have to pay a lot of money for her to participate.

... like CM with the elephants, refugees or orphans would be OK.

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I would ask what skills does she have?

Exactly. The places that charge a lot for "volunteers" do so, in part, because most of the people who want to come here possess no skills to work with "elephants, orphans or refugees,"  and the money generated is about the only useful thing the organization gets out of the deal.

If working with refugees or orphans or anything else to do with serving people, presumably the O/P's daughter has no ability to communicate with people other than in English, so the organization would have to assign someone to translate for her which would be counter-productive even if she had expertise that was unavailable locally (which at 21 is unlikely).

As well-intended as she may be, basically she just wants an holiday experience on the cheap.

6 hours ago, OzMan said:

Are there any volunteer organizations that do not require fees to be paid?

If they charge you to be a volunteer, it is a scam.

They sometimes say it is for housing and food, but actually they are just trying to make money on people who want to do good. They don't give an F about the cause...

Hello Bob 12345,
I think you have never been a volunteer,
because a "real" volunteer is not paid and in addition he pays for his trip, his rent, his food and even his clothes if they are special.
Imagine an orphanage living from the charity of the people and sponsors deducting this money from the food expenses.
So they take from one to give to another.

But, as you say, it is quite possible that they take advantage of it to serve themselves.
We have already seen global associations tapping into the fund.

If they allowed volunteers, there would be millions of them of backpackers here, skirting visa laws by being a volunteer, and of course agencies providing visas and assuring you you wouldn't have to work hard, if at all.  Tsunami taught them well, people are full of themselves.  90+% of the missionaries have no useful skills, either......except of course getting a paid staff at a church set up..

10 hours ago, OzMan said:

Many advertised volunteer positions I would have to pay a lot of money for her to participate.

Imho if you are paying someone to volunteer it's a scam, albeit a legal scam.  When you see these types of organizations, run the other way.  Thailand is not 'volunteer friendly' at all.  Tell your daughter to research countries which actually appreciate foreigners who willingly and freely give their time and skills to make the less fortunate in their respective countries better off.  Thailand is not on the list.

or, if she has a degree, she can come here and teach at a government school.  The pay sucks so bad it is like volunteering anyways, and after you pay for clothes, visas, and rent..you really won t have much left, but could hopefully be a valuable addition to a community with that isn't swimming in cash.  Pastor at my parents old church makes 90k per year..usd++...no need to be fooled by any top heavy charitable organization.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

or, if she has a degree, she can come here and teach at a government school.  The pay sucks so bad it is like volunteering anyways, and after you pay for clothes, visas, and rent..you really won t have much left, but could hopefully be a valuable addition to a community with that isn't swimming in cash.  Pastor at my parents old church makes 90k per year..usd++...no need to be fooled by any top heavy charitable organization.

A very good suggestion for a 21 year old who would like to gain some Thai experience and give of herself. Not a lot of money but not  paying for a volunteer position either which I think sucks. Commitment a bit harsher but worthwhile.

Teaching classes up in rural villages are available for foreigners. It's all volunteer work and not a scam .  But Bangkok .  forget it unless she has a degree and can work as a teacher .

Great article showing how 'volunteer friendly' Thailand can be.  It isn't.  So, again, suggest to your daughter that she finds a country that graciously accepts volunteers and where her time and skills would be appreciated by both the host government and those benefiting from her volunteer work. 

7 hours ago, balo said:

Teaching classes up in rural villages are available for foreigners.

And without a work permit the volunteer is breaking Thai labor laws, and if caught, the consequences can set the kindly volunteer back a considerable chuck of money, possible jail time, and deportation.

Archived